Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Started very concerned about this team, felt kinda good about them for a while, now back to being very concerned. They just don’t look like a good team. The transition game is GONE, their top players are mismanaging the puck all over the place, there’s no reliable depth to speak of, and the goaltending has been mediocre at best.

I don’t think there’s any real way to fix this.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
We need @Sea Eagles to bring some positivity here
I can do that instead of him, though to more sober level.

its all just temporary dip in form. It happens. We are missing 2 top six wingers and top4 Dman. Sure we could use better 2nd line than RyJo and Tatar, or maybe better goalie, but its nothing we do can do about now, but something that will be hopefully fixed in offseason. We still have great core, and the supporting players are all on short-term contracts, so we will have flexibility to retool once again and give it another go. 90s Avs or Crosby Pens did not win their Cups in one go either, it took bit of meddling to fight the winning combo again. We may not have ours back until Landy is back (or he gone and we getting proper replacement).

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Started very concerned about this team, felt kinda good about them for a while, now back to being very concerned. They just don’t look like a good team. The transition game is GONE, their top players are mismanaging the puck all over the place, there’s no reliable depth to speak of, and the goaltending has been mediocre at best.

I don’t think there’s any real way to fix this.

This is where I'm pretty much at. I just don't see it. The team is disjointed top to bottom. I don't think there is any component of the team that doesn't have a major flaw save for maybe the 4th line. Top 6 with a slumbering Rants. Broken depth in RyJo/Tatar. With regards to the defense, a less dynamic but equally Frail Cale, a rapidly declining Toews, a Byram that has all but stalled in his development, G gone. Last but not least our goalies are absolutely sieves. They are just not good.

I know we meme a lot about the coaching and believe me, I'm 100% on board with axing Bennett but IMO this is a roster issue first and foremost. That lies with not only the players but also a huge swing and a miss from CMac and CO. This is a playoff one round and done type squad as presently constructed.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Yeah. I don't have a solution. And folks usually respond with Kuemper or Gru were worse....... But the Avs do have a goalie problem.

More dangerously, they have a defense problem because no single D-man (including Cale) is consistently good or error free nite in or out........
fire Pratt

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Lots of soul searching to do for the Avs today. IMHO doing a knee-jerk trade in a position of weakness like this would be a bad idea. In the short-term the solution will have to come from within.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It would likely cause issues/losses and it certainly hasn’t been earned, but I think you gotta put Mikko and Nuke with RyJo. Gotta get RyJo going and playing a 2nd line level of minutes. Colton isn’t a 2C and nobody else is on the team. But you gotta see if RyJo can hack it with those two and give it more than a few games. Maybe a tide turns (unlikely) but you at least get an answer.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Honestly I thought this was a good game, until the penalty shot broke our back. The problems for us recently seems to be in the Guy's heads - mental breakdowns, going hero mode when there 4 defenders around you, throwing cute no look passes. It seems at this point in the season, any time we do something dumb it's in the back of our net, but when it comes to capitalizing on other teams mistakes, we are getting stonewalled, or there are twenty sticks in shooting and passing lanes. Our players are uncharacteristically having shots blocked, see Makar, when usually they are able to find lanes. All in all, I felt the effort was good and then the penalty shot broke out spirits. Not to say Prostate let us down, I think he fine, and much like with George, the defensive miscues are leaving him out to dry.

The biggest problem right now is on D. We need to tighten up, keep our assignments and not leave the slot open for 20 points blank attempts every game. If we can do that we won't fall behind first every game, we won't have to play 2 periods of catch up hockey and we can play our game. The rest will come I believe.

This is a slump, but we are still well positioned, we have to clean up our defensive work though. Right now it's pretty ugly out there, and every time we fall behind you can see it drain the energy from the team.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Couldn't watch the game but saw that Mikko started out as 2C. Did he finish the game there and how did he look in that role?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Can a homegrown talent like Ritchie eventually be the answer to our 2C or is he still a long ways from being NHL ready?

Ey4deZqVcAI_Yz8.jpg

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Couldn't watch the game but saw that Mikko started out as 2C. Did he finish the game there and how did he look in that role?
He looked fine in the 1st period, but Bednar panicked and reshuffled the lines, out Moose back with Nate. That accomplished F-all and dragged Nate down. Nate was motoring around with LOC and Drouin, after he got on the line with Mikko his energy and creativity got swallowed up by the black hole of Rants.

/my take

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You’re being generous on 3rd liner. We’ve seen this story in LOC before… when he’s overplayed, he will disappear as the season goes on… and he’s being overplayed like he never has before.

Yeah, you can set your clock to this at this point. I'll admit though, him, Drouin and Mack have been working. I guess you have to just hope Lehhky comes back in time.

It would likely cause issues/losses and it certainly hasn’t been earned, but I think you gotta put Mikko and Nuke with RyJo. Gotta get RyJo going and playing a 2nd line level of minutes. Colton isn’t a 2C and nobody else is on the team. But you gotta see if RyJo can hack it with those two and give it more than a few games. Maybe a tide turns (unlikely) but you at least get an answer.

Him or Mikko, I actually thought the first period against Philly worked with the top two lines. Then for whatever reason the blender came out in a bad way.

He looked fine in the 1st period, but Bednar panicked and reshuffled the lines, out Moose back with Nate. That accomplished F-all and dragged Nate down. Nate was motoring around with LOC and Drouin, after he got on the line with Mikko his energy and creativity got swallowed up by the black hole of Rants.

/my take

Seen the same thing, wtf was that lol? It was a f***in gong show after that.

All of this shit combined with our starter being replacement level is painful.

I said last off-season might be one of the most important in this teams history. Either they make the right moves and have a legit shot, or we paint ourselves into a corner and watch the core die slowly just like after 01.

Last edited:
Reactions: henchman21

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I can do that instead of him, though to more sober level.

its all just temporary dip in form. It happens. We are missing 2 top six wingers and top4 Dman. Sure we could use better 2nd line than RyJo and Tatar, or maybe better goalie, but it’s nothing we do can do about now, but something that will be hopefully fixed in offseason. We still have great core, and the supporting players are all on short-term contracts, so we will have flexibility to retool once again and give it another go. 90s Avs or Crosby Pens did not win their Cups in one go either, it took bit of meddling to fight the winning combo again. We may not have ours back until Landy is back (or he gone and we getting proper replacement).
My thoughts exactly

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Yeah, you can set your clock to this at this point. I'll admit though, him, Drouin and Mack have been working. I guess you have to just hope Lehhky comes back in time.

Him or Mikko, I actually thought the first period against Philly worked with the top two lines. Then for whatever reason the blender came out in a bad way.

Seen the same thing, wtf was that lol? It was a f***in gong show after that.

All of this shit combined with our starter being replacement level is painful.

I said last off-season might be one of the most important in this teams history. Either they make the right moves and have a legit shot, or we paint ourselves into a corner and watch the core die slowly just like after 01.
The 01 team was much older IMO. Roy was 14/15 years in, Sakic was 12, Foppa 10. Landy is 12, Nate 10, Mikko 8 and Makar 6. Not saying there wouldn't be a slow death but at least age-wise there is more time.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The 01 team was much older IMO. Roy was 14/15 years in, Sakic was 12, Foppa 10. Landy is 12, Nate 10, Mikko 8 and Makar 6. Not saying there wouldn't be a slow death but at least age-wise there is more time.

Well Foppa & Landy are similar enough, but yeah, that's more of a fear sentiment than an exact timeline match.

Drouin is looking like he could actually continue to grow. Him and Mack do have legit chemistry. That pass to spring Mack on his goal was nice.

Unfortunately 2C is the crux of the off season risks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad