Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Robert Hagg, 1st (2021), and 2nd (2023) to Sabres for Rasmus Ristolainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Heres a quick reminder - they paid a first, a second and a bad defensemen to bring in an equally bad defenseman that costs 5x as much.

Youre welcome.
You are triggering my PTSD, please add a trigger warning in the Subject line of the new thread.

Reactions: Starat327

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Yeah definitely not what you want to hear. I mean if he's as good as Fletch and Co. think he is then he should have been a lock for that camp.
He did not get an invite because he has declined all world championship invites. Kind of wake up call to him from Jalonen.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
We are obviously in purgatory right now. Neither good or bad. Just here. Get a little better, get a little worse. No real plan forward. Set up for an eternity of 8th place finishes and first round knock outs.
I dunno, with the moves Chuck made I feel the Flyers are closer to bottoming out than they are to mediocrity:

• Giroux another year older
  • Jones is the 1B for Hart,
  • Ristolainen in the top 4
  • Thompson in the lineup over Frost
  • Yandle over York or Zamula
  • Sanheim angling for a 2 year contract then being UFA
  • Betting that Hart will rebound
  • Betting that Provorov will rebound
  • Betting that Konecny will rebound
  • Betting that Hayes will rebound
  • Still having all these terrible coaches around
  • The prospect cupboard being bare after like 4 or 5 players
  • Hoping Farabee keeps his unsustainable production from last year
  • Hoping Couts doesn't ask for too much on next contract
  • Hoping Giroux doesn't ask for too much on next contract
  • The inevitable Risto extension that is coming

There are a lot of reasons that this could be a lottery team in the next few years, and I for one welcome it. This team needs a tear down rebuild like no other.

Where was the team even improved this offseason, Ellis? Is there literally any other improvement the team has made to the roster?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I dunno, with the moves Chuck made I feel the Flyers are closer to bottoming out than they are to mediocrity:

There are a lot of reasons that this could be a lottery team in the next few years, and I for one welcome it. This team needs a tear down rebuild like no other.

Where was the team even improved this offseason, Ellis? Is there literally any other improvement the team has made to the roster?

This is about as ridiculous as it gets.

Flyers will have 9+ players 25 or under this season, same next season. They lost some assets, but it wasn't like Myers, Patrick and #13 were the future of the franchise. The prospect pipeline is still full. Frost, Allison, Laczynski, Foerster, Wisdom, York, Zamula, Brink, JOB, Millman, Attard, Ersson, Fedotov, Ustimenko, et al.

We have no idea what Sanheim is angling for, they haven't begun seriously negotiating and have almost a month to do so. Even on a two year deal they can extend him next summer if he shows he's worth it. Same with Risto, they'll probably wait and see how he fits before making a decision on an extension, but he's not going to play first pair minutes or get paid as such.

It's a lot safer betting on players under 30 to rebound than players over 30 to continue playing well.

There is nothing unsustainable about Farabee's production, he was a steal at #14, he has the best shot on the team and among the highest hockey IQ.

This team is deep, they're no longer waiting on Patrick, but they do need Frost to finally step up and take the 3C job. Didn't see enough from Laczynski in his few games to project him as a 3C and we know Laughton is limited there.

Couts and Giroux aren't going to make much more on their next contracts than the two are making on their current contracts, G will take a pay cut and Couts will get a raise.

We'll find out if AV is a doofus or a good HC who had a bad year. He has the horses, now he has to show he knows how to ride them.

Reactions: Math the wild rose

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

That’s probably still extreme though. They got historically bad goaltending this past year & still weren’t close to being bad enough to bottom out.

I don’t like the off-season & all that but they’re probably still a purgatory type team like they’ve been for a decade now. Floor of just missing out with a ceiling of making & possibly winning a round.

Couturier & Giroux pending UFA status are to me the biggest short term potential shifts if they were to leave.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
That’s probably still extreme though. They got historically bad goaltending this past year & still weren’t close to being bad enough to bottom out.

I don’t like the off-season & all that but they’re probably still a purgatory type team like they’ve been for a decade now. Floor of just missing out with a ceiling of making & possibly winning a round.

Couturier & Giroux pending UFA status are to me the biggest short term potential shifts if they were to leave.
I mean, you can say all you want about the goaltending, but the Flyers lost a lot of games last season that better goaltending wouldn't have helped.

The Flyers were 15th in goals scored this season, not exactly stellar. Even with competent goaltending they were a mediocre at best team. Hell, the last 43 games of the season the Flyers scored more than 3 goals just 10 times, and 3 or less goals 33 times. Down the stretch the Flyers scoring evaporated.

There was a good chance this team missed the playoffs even with average goaltending. "Bad goaltending" doesn't fully explain losing games 9-0.

Edit: does anyone know a site where I can check things like all teams GF in a season since a certain date? I'd like to see where the Flyers ranked after their week long layoff last season.

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

All these points would be valid if not for the fact we as Flyers fans are destined to spend eternity in purgatory.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I dont think we'll bottom out.
I figure Giroux has at least one more late season carryjob in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad