Flyers to partner with University of Delaware for women's D1 team

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Delaware playing varsity hockey makes a lot of sense. Surprised that it's seemingly just a move for the women's side and not a push for a men's team, too, though.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Delaware playing varsity hockey makes a lot of sense. Surprised that it's seemingly just a move for the women's side and not a push for a men's team, too, though.
I clicked through an article on UDel's sports website, and it seems that there's a Title IX compliance issue related to the move of Delaware's football team to FBS, so adding both men's and women's hockey wouldn't alleviate the issue; this will.

Reactions: JMCx4

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They must have wanted to add the program though because why would you use hockey to do it? It's expensive and not great ROI. I suspect eventually it happens though because they're clearly investing in their sports.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Pretty cool (as long as their hockey helmets don't also look like Michigan's)

• Haha

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
They must have wanted to add the program though because why would you use hockey to do it? It's expensive and not great ROI. I suspect eventually it happens though because they're clearly investing in their sports.
Per the UD announcement ... "Director of Athletics, Community, and Campus Recreation Chrissi Rawak said ... "I'm confident women's ice hockey will have success on and off the ice, and joining the CHA allows us to surround ourselves with aspiring institutions and some of the best competition in the nation." Translation of the bolded part: "This isn't an 'all in' decision for DI women's hockey. We're starting slow & seeing how things go."

Reactions: GKJ

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Per the UD announcement ... "Director of Athletics, Community, and Campus Recreation Chrissi Rawak said ... "I'm confident women's ice hockey will have success on and off the ice, and joining the CHA allows us to surround ourselves with aspiring institutions and some of the best competition in the nation." Translation of the bolded part: "This isn't an 'all in' decision for DI women's hockey. We're starting slow & seeing how things go."

While the smallest D-1 league, the CHA is a perfect geographic fit for UD. With three schools in PA (Robert Morris, Penn State, & Mercyhurst), plus two in New York (Syracuse & RIT), the only real outlier IS the outlier - Lindenwood. It's a good league to build up in, and with a lot of name recognition on the schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad