Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Noah Cates To Two Year Contract - Avoid Arbitration ($2.625M AAV)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lucky for Cates, the coach who benches everyone doesn't bench people for 2 poor games in a row :sarcasm:
If bad plays meant bad games, Sanheim and TK would be nailed to the bench.
Cates is a team leader in rel metrics, that is, the team is simply better with him on the ice.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Where are you getting your stats? I want to check them out.

I want no part of the discussion at large, but I'll give you a little bit of what he's not telling you.

Flat Rel stats are not what I would use to evaluate a player in 2023. Most of Cates' 5v5 time has been with two players, both of which show clearly better than he does in the same metrics. There are also some weird things at play. For example, Cates is the Flyers leader by an absolute mile in 5v5 Score & Venue Adjusted Relative Fenwick For/60. He's obviously not their best offensive player or close to it.

**10 GAMES IS NOTHING. I'M NOT RIPPING CATES. I'M EXPLAINING WHAT THINGS ARE AND ARE NOT SAYING. CAN IT, NERDS**

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Point is simply he's not some black hole dragging his linemates down.
For some reason, people here have it in for Cates, which is silly.
He's a solid 3C type, who is a good PK guy and plays on the PP b/c he's willing to take net front punishment. Guys like that have real value for teams, especially PO teams.

Is he going to be the lead player on a future Flyers SC contender? Of course not.
But that doesn't mean he doesn't have value.

He's not competing with Frost, he's competing with Laughton.
Laughton is faster, but lower IQ, worse defensively, best suited to a pure checking role at center or a shooter at LW.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
For some reason, people here have it in for Cates, which is silly.

People like Cates and detest double standards. People understand the value Cates brings and understand the value he doesn't bring. The team does not understand the latter.

He's not competing with Frost, he's competing with Laughton.

Bullshit. Laughton is a nearly 30 year old winger. Cates and Frost are the same age, signed their contracts the same summer, and are directly competing for the same middle 6 center usage.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bullshit. Laughton is a nearly 30 year old winger. Cates and Frost are the same age, signed their contracts the same summer, and are directly competing for the same middle 6 center usage.
Cates has a similar role as Laughton, which is completely different than how any team would use Frost.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I feel that checking something like this is a fair minimum threshold for taking claims about roles seriously:

catesno99

For those that don't know how to use this aspect of the chart, the red bars are Cates himself. I'll accept all sorts of shades of grey contained within, but that's Middle 6 Center deployment.

For those that were extremely impressed that he had difficult QualComp last year, I hope you're factoring in that it is no longer the case. I wasn't, so I'm not dinging him for it. I'm just looking for consistency.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I feel that checking something like this is a fair minimum threshold for taking claims about roles seriously:

catesno99

For those that don't know how to use this aspect of the chart, the red bars are Cates himself. I'll accept all sorts of shades of grey contained within, but that's Middle 6 Center deployment.

For those that were extremely impressed that he had difficult QualComp last year, I hope you're factoring in that it is no longer the case. I wasn't, so I'm not dinging him for it. I'm just looking for consistency.
Screenshot_20231102_175243_Chrome.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Cates has a similar role as Laughton, which is completely different than how any team would use Frost.
Another obvious lie, easily disproved. He's been mainly playing on a line with Farabee and Brink while the Couturier line gets the hardest defensive matchups. He also started the season playing with Konecny, who is now playing with Frost. Like Magua, said they're both middle 6 centers.

Couturier - 43.4 OZS%

Cates - 59.57 OZS%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad