Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Cam York To Two Year Contract ($1.6M AAV)

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Still learning to read these and he's added a few, but that defensive one looks pretty good, right?
The defensive one is good. Having a -% number for the defensive side is good and so is the +% for offense, however, as with everything there needs to be context:

High danger areas on the heat map have a larger influence on the output. The fact that York has pretty good suppression for high danger and other areas of high activity are either outside of the circle or low danger is pretty good and actually pretty stable for statistical projection barring something odd like Torts moving him to the other side or pairing him with Risto. His offensive output here will not be the same. It’s quite uncommon for Dmen to have that profile and honestly it’s pretty much reserved for players like JVR (people who generate their offense in-front of the net). That heavily weighs on his +1. He will need to be able to generate offense from outside high danger areas in order to be effective. Given his position and the position average, that is not the case. If he can be a set up producing offensive guy, while maintaining that suppressive profile, he could be a #3 league wide. I don’t see the offensive upside, but there’s a lot to like so far.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Dang, was thinking we'd get a longer deal than this. My guess he wanted near $4 million if it was longer term eating away at UFA years and Flyers probably didn't want to go too high into the $3 millions at that point so this was the compromise?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Everyone saying we should have held out for longer term. You do realise the player also has to agree this too right?

What flyers player in their right mind is gonna lock up for 4+ years knowing they are going to be playing on a dogshit team for the first 2 minimum.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
The defensive one is good. Having a -% number for the defensive side is good and so is the +% for offense, however, as with everything there needs to be context:

High danger areas on the heat map have a larger influence on the output. The fact that York has pretty good suppression for high danger and other areas of high activity are either outside of the circle or low danger is pretty good and actually pretty stable for statistical projection barring something odd like Torts moving him to the other side or pairing him with Risto. His offensive output here will not be the same. It’s quite uncommon for Dmen to have that profile and honestly it’s pretty much reserved for players like JVR (people who generate their offense in-front of the net). That heavily weighs on his +1. He will need to be able to generate offense from outside high danger areas in order to be effective. Given his position and the position average, that is not the case. If he can be a set up producing offensive guy, while maintaining that suppressive profile, he could be a #3 league wide. I don’t see the offensive upside, but there’s a lot to like so far.

To add to this, Cam also only played 54 games this year. While these heat maps are results of what happened during that time, it could just be a coincidence. He doesn't have multiple years to review and see just how much of an anomaly this is.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
To add to this, Cam also only played 54 games this year. While these heat maps are results of what happened during that time, it could just be a coincidence. He doesn't have multiple years to review and see just how much of an anomaly this is.
You can set the sample size to be career, season, or game. I never purchased the plan to view his work, but he used to post on Reddit all the time and was going to do it with a period sample size, but I doubt the work wouldn’t be necessary as watching York have 2 shots on goal in a 3rd period isn’t very telling.

From what it looks like, that was Yorks 2022-2023 season. I haven’t even looked at sanheims heat map, but I bet his 2021-2022 HDC is redder than his 2022-2023, mainly due to usage. After watching a player and a team for so long you can visualize their maps. I could be wrong too lol, I honestly don’t know. These maps are good because you can see individual impact.

Reactions: VladDrag

HexyClarke

Jun 10, 2022
Everyone saying we should have held out for longer term. You do realise the player also has to agree this too right?

What flyers player in their right mind is gonna lock up for 4+ years knowing they are going to be playing on a dogshit team for the first 2 minimum.
I think he’ll still be restricted FA after this deal runs out. So he really has no where to go. They still own him for 4-5 years.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don’t think he signs for 1.6 for a long term deal. Sanheim got a 8 year deal and I am not a fan of it.
Sanheim's career contract is like a Meccano set of bridges, though. Fletcher shorted himself into the current contract with 2 2-year deals, first an RFA ($3.25 million) and then a UFA contract ($4.675 million).

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Now this one I disagree with because I do think York has legit top four capabilities. I think they should have gotten a little more aggressive here with an offer to get him locked in long term.
I agree but do you think he will be hard to resign if he plays to his max potential after 2 years?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It probably would have cost them over $4M a year to get him signed long term. Yeah the team stinks & all that but it’s still strong financial security which tends to win these things.

Perhaps someone could remember because I don’t really. But the talk around Cates this year from the people that cover team painted a picture the team would push for a long term extension. If the Flyers offered Cates $4M+ on a long term deal you think he would have turned that down?

It should be interesting to see how these negotiations went down. Charlie’s already criticizing them for not getting either signed long term. So it should be interesting to see what he reports in the coming days on how these went down.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Interesting to see how the rest of the top 2019 first round picks have gone contract wise.

Four long term deals so far, and I assume Zegras will make it five. Turcotte seems like he's a bust.

1. Hughes - 8 x $8m started age 21
2. Kakko - 2 x $2.1m started age 21
3. Dach - 4 x $3.625m started age 21
4. Byram - 2 x $3.85m starting age 22
5. Turcotte - One year left on ELC (0 P in 12 NHL GP)

6. Seider - One year left on ELC (92 P in 164 GP)
7. Cozens - 7 x $7.1m starting age 22
8. Broberg - One year left on ELC (11 P in 69 NHL GP)
9. Zegras - ELC is done (139 P in 180 NHL GP)
10. Podkolzin - One year left on ELC (33 P in 118 NHL GP)

11. Soderstrom - One year left on ELC (11 P in 50 NHL GP)
12. Boldy - 7 x $7m starting age 22
13. Knight - 3 x $4.5m starting age 22
14. York - 2 x $1.6m
15. Caufield - 7 x $7.85m starting age 22

Last edited:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Guaranteed millions talks. These guys can blow an ACL at any time

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Obviously I don't think that exact heat map is repeatable, but I do think it fits my general impressions of York's game both positively and negatively.

Offensively, his strong suit seems to be as an in-zone connector. He's only fine in transition. He doesn't come forward particularly well. Or put another way, he doesn't really find his way into open ice between the circles. But he does make the right reads consistently. That's an interesting player because it's so far outside the norm even in a less extreme season.

Reactions: VladDrag

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
58f3c5eb016224ddcd8da2573f92d402.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt York wanted to sign long-term, the cap will start to rise after this summer, so he can get a better deal in two years.
Meanwhile, the Flyers weren't going to commit big money to him based on 54 games.
He'll still have a couople RFA years when this contract expires - that's when you negotiate the long-term deal.

Reactions: Pantokrator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad