Rumor: Flyers offer Nikita Zaitsev a contract (Apr. 12: Flyers deny rumor)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
For all those of you who think the Flyers hate Russians: :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Flyers/comments/1c94ap/flyers_have_reportedly_offered_a_contract_to_21/

Flyers have reportedly offered a contract to 21 year old Russian defenseman Nikita Zaitsev.

He went undrafted, but I remember him being ranked well. Will have to dig out back issues of Draft Preview later.

Found this too: Was on Flyers' radar during his draft year.

http://philabright.com/2010/06/18/who-is-nikita-zaytsev/

-------------------

April 12:

Anyway I was told it wasn't true.

https://twitter.com/AnthonySan37/status/322840013966548992

Last edited by a moderator:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
18 points in 49 KHL games. Not bad

6'1" 176lbs. Will probably need to bulk up a bit if he hopes to be an nhl defenseman, but he's only 21 so that's promising.

Don't mind this signing. Well have a good amount of guys to watch for the phantoms next season.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Anthony SanFilippo asked yesterday and was told it was an inaccurate report.

I saw this yesterday and thought the same thing. But if Im not mistaken though, they club usually doesnt state if they have interest until AFTER they sign the players. Im guessing this is true especially for KHL players.

"Defender of "Siberia" Nikita Zaitsev can become a player NHL "Philadelphia Flyers." As said at the meeting with fans of the club general manager Siberian Cyril Fastovsky expected that "Philadelphia" will offer a three-year bilateral agreement Zaitsev.

What that sounds like is the player has been offered a contract and they are waiting to see if he accepts it or not.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I saw this yesterday and thought the same thing. But if Im not mistaken though, they club usually doesnt state if they have interest until AFTER they sign the players. Im guessing this is true especially for KHL players.

I changed the title in the subject to a "rumor." If and when an update is issued, we can make the proper note.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I changed the title in the subject to a "rumor." If and when an update is issued, we can make the proper note.

Sounds good. Ya I didnt post anything here yesterday after seeing it because how sketchy it looks, but I can see why there are conflicting reports. The NHL-KHL thing has a lot of tension I guess one can say so I wouldnt be surprised if the Flyers are trying to keep it hush until he actually signs.

eliteprospects scouting report:
An intelligent back with good passing skill. Plays simple and wants to avoid mistakes. Good size, but can develop his physical game. It seems that he has an offensive games within him

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
For all those of you who think the Flyers hate Russians: :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Flyers/comments/1c94ap/flyers_have_reportedly_offered_a_contract_to_21/

Flyers have reportedly offered a contract to 21 year old Russian defenseman Nikita Zaitsev.

He went undrafted, but I remember him being ranked well. Will have to dig out back issues of Draft Preview later.

Found this too: Was on Flyers' radar during his draft year.

http://philabright.com/2010/06/18/who-is-nikita-zaytsev/

These reports seem pretty promising. Ranked high in a lot of strength categories. Says he has a strong will to come to the nhl even is bilingual. Hawks and flyers were interested on him at his draft class and was thought to be lower down just because of the khl thing. Was a top 5 tanked skater for dmen that year. Not sure why people want to get rid of homer he is active and is trying (UFA and RFA activity this past offseason)

feedingschennzy

Feb 11, 2012
I love moves like this. Can never have enough young talent, and the more guys like this you sign the more likely it is you get another nhl caliber top 4 guy without breaking the bank

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Hope it's true and he accepts. Don't know anything about him but being as though he's laying in the KHL I think it's safe to say he's better than any of our current d prospects.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I predict he is a Norris finalist in three years after playing well next year, having a sophomore slump, turned on by fans and traded away ....

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
About time they start exploring options overseas- as far as defenseman go.

He has about as good of a profile as you will find of an undrafted defenseman.

-lots of international experience
-4 full seasons in the KHL
-good size
-good mobility
-much improved offensive game
-right handed

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Here is the write up translated from EP:
"An intelligent back with a good passing game. Plays easily and want to avoid mistakes. Decent size, but can develop their physical game. Feels like he has an offensive game within itself."

If it's a young RHS from the back-end, I'm all for it. Hopefully, patience will be a factor with him, provided this is true.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
isn't Zaitsev the name of the protagonist at Enemy at the Gates? if so, he's already got a nickname

FWIW, his youth team in Russia was Snipers :laugh:

Zaitsev has been a regular in past Rags summer camps, also kid has been working with Gary Roberts on his fitness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad