Flyers Off-Season Discussion: Flyers sign Dale Weise and Boyd Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wonder if this is being help up my a potential trade. They have an agreement with Weise, but only after they trade off Read or Streit or something?

Edit: Or not

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
"I love how he isn't afraid to elevate his game in the big moments." Briere told me. Remember Danny played on a line with Dale Weise in Montreal and had a long run. I have always liked Dale and feel that he is a great 3rd liner who can step up to a top 6 role.

from the Hobbit.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wonder if this is being help up my a potential trade. They have an agreement with Weise, but only after they trade off Read or Streit or something?

That could make sense...Read....takes his spot in the lineup.

If we move Streit, we need a RHD to replace him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weiss will be 28 this fall, so 4 years is not a stretch. 31 his final season isn't ancient.
What stands out is his production doesn't fall off in the playoffs:
36g 6-5 11 6 24
Which is about his regular season production the last three years.
He's a 10 goal, 25 point, plus player who forechecks.
The best thing about him is an upward trajectory, he's played his best hockey starting in the 2013-2014 playoff and the last two seasons - so this isn't a guy who has flatlined.
Actually, the guy he resembles on the Flyers is, drum roooooll,
Michael Raffl.

What he does is buy 2-3 years for the young forward Hextall has drafted the last two years in the 3rd and 4th rounds to grow up.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Read can play LW. So it seems to me that Read and Weise are 2/3 of the third line, centered by Laughton, Cousins, or Raffl.

FLYERSG

Sep 27, 2014
Nothing wrong with 2.35 million at all. Not sure what people are complaining about. Solid 3rd liner, great 4th liner. Sure the term is a year or 2 longer than Id hope but **** he's 27 not 35.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Colin McDonald is not any good.

Even if Weise is not 1.7M "better" than someone like McDonald, salaries are not entirely proportional like that. You are going to have to pony up a little more to get actual quality.

A contract like that is easily movable so I don't really see a real downside.

Colin McDonald's career NHL points per game is 0.31.

Dale Weise's career NHL points per game is 0.26.

My point is a player like Weise earns a name with a few "clutch" playoff goals when he was younger and cheaper, and now suddenly he's getting $2.5M/per for 4 years and a player like McDonald is in the AHL, when the difference between them is very small.

Weise has had two decent scoring years for a bottom 6 winger the last two seasons, but he's very close to being a 10 min or under player. He had an unsustainable streak of scoring luck last season where he scored on a ridiculous percentage of shots, then came back down to Earth when moved to Chicago and also wasn't getting the luxury of playing on a 2nd line where he really shouldn't play for any length of time.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The slight differences in AAV really don't matter. The 4th year is not good no matter how you shake it, but if you're going to give him that deal, I would think you give him 3rd line minutes.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I wish Hextall would have waited and signed someone on a 1 year deal.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
4 years is a long time for bottom 6 imo. I think he will be fine first 2 years.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Colin McDonald's career NHL points per game is 0.31.

Dale Weise's career NHL points per game is 0.26.

My point is a player like Weise earns a name with a few "clutch" playoff goals when he was younger and cheaper, and now suddenly he's getting $2.5M/per for 4 years and a player like McDonald is in the AHL, when the difference between them is very small.

Weise has had two decent scoring years for a bottom 6 winger the last two seasons, but he's very close to being a 10 min or under player. He had an unsustainable streak of scoring luck last season where he scored on a ridiculous percentage of shots, then came back down to Earth when moved to Chicago and also wasn't getting the luxury of playing on a 2nd line where he really shouldn't play for any length of time.

Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad