Speculation: Flyers in Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
After being eliminated in the playoffs Hextall said they needed more playmakers up front but I'm getting the vibe the Flyers won't be players in free agency. Obviously I don't want them overpaying for someone but I would appreciate them bringing in a top 6 winger. They need it.

They have the space to make a signing, what do they do?

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
First off, you sign Schenn to a deal. Then hope the rest accept their qualifying offers and go from there.

I agree. AS for Scott that ship has sailed. If Ron does go after a FA it would be minor at best. What I like about this club not only did we make the playoffs while building and we are going to get younger......sweet.

Alex Mills

It seems more likely for them to try and upgrade by trade rather than free agency. They have about $12 million in space to re-sign Schenn, Cousins, Weal, Manning and White, and Hextall wants at least a $2 million cap cushion this year:

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...bellows-german-rubtsov-will-be-right-or-wrong

That doesn’t leave much room for them to make a major signing at the moment. If they’re unable to make a deal before Friday, some names that could be on their radar and within their budget: Parenteau, Colborne, Stempniak, Smith-Pelley, Pirri

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
They're going to grab Pirri for cheap and he's going to be a 20-30 goal, 40-60 point player bouncing between Giroux and Couturier's lines.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
$4m AAV is likely the very highest they could afford for a UFA after extending Schenn and the other RFAs.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
They should and probably will go after third tier free agents like Pirri, Colborne, Matthias, etc. At most i could see them getting someone like Mcginn or Perron. They certainly dont have the cap space to be players for the top guys like lucic, backes, okposo.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I look for Hextall to get some value in the second wave of FA.

After being handicapped by bad contracts at least he can start to make improvements no matter how modest.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I like the idea of Brandon Pirri. Other possibilities that might appeal to me that haven't been mentioned are Troy Brouwer and Thomas Vanek, if he's willing to sign a prove-it deal instead of looking for something long-term.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

After being handicapped by bad contracts at least he can start to make improvements no matter how modest.

This. Let the big money contracts go first, then go over the left overs. There will be some. There will also be teams tight to the cap or worried about Expansion Draft. The Flyers are still in building mode, they don't need to add someone who will too old to help them when they are ready to compete for the Cup. In a year or two, the Flyers will have cap room to make strategic UFA acquisitions.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...at-can-flyers-afford-do-free-agency/86383118/

:nod:

"We’re committed to getting better," Hextall said. "Just not at all costs. At a reasonable cost."

"July 1 is a funny day," Hextall said. "With the cap flat, there might be some guys out there that are good buys, but that’s not going to happen July 1. That’s usually the 5th or 10th or 15th of July where guys realize there’s not much out there."

Reactions: capazzo

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Flyers basically have ~$4m they could realistically spend in FA. I imagine that could go two ways, either:

A. Sign one middle sixer on a shorter (~2 year) contract)...

I.E. Perron, Brouwer, Stempniak, Helm.

Which is possible but unlikely. Especially with Helm who will want term.

B. Sign 1/2 bottom six guys/reclamation projects on short contracts to upgrade our awful bottom six & PK...

I.E. Pirri (bit of outlier in this group, would not help PK/D but could find game), Colbourne, Martin, Gordon, Fiddler, Moore, Cullen, Latta, Horcoff, Stoll, Gaustad, Richards.

Hextall has said categorically that 'term' is what he feels gets teams into trouble, and he is only willing to give term to key players.

Evergreen

I could see the Flyers making a play for a second-tier UFA LW like Vanek, Perron or Stempniak. But I doubt guys like Stamkos, Ladd and Backes are in their sights.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
i look at the free agents list and try to see who would fit best and i just dont see anyone i like except Mikkel Boedker. i think if hextall can move a piece for cheap, Boedker by far seems to be someone that would fit on the top line perfectly and also i think he would look damned good lining up next to couts. what do you all think? am i wrong, is he going to want too much or is a cheaper option like pirri better for us and more friendly towards the cap. is a mid to long term for a good amount of money not in the cards right now? i just keep going back to Boedker.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
i look at the free agents list and try to see who would fit best and i just dont see anyone i like except Mikkel Boedker. i think if hextall can move a piece for cheap, Boedker by far seems to be someone that would fit on the top line perfectly and also i think he would look damned good lining up next to couts. what do you all think? am i wrong, is he going to want too much or is a cheaper option like pirri better for us and more friendly towards the cap. is a mid to long term for a good amount of money not in the cards right now? i just keep going back to Boedker.

Mikkel Boedker is the guy I want to see sign in Philly.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Mikkel Boedker is the guy I want to see sign in Philly.

i can see him playing on our top two lines scoring 30 goals for the first time getting 30 to 40 assists, best case scenario. his defensive game isnt the best, but g jake couts, these guys would help cover that for sure. hes at that age where hes ready to take the next step production wise. i think he can. i just keep going back to him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyer really need a 2-3 year stopgap at#3 C and a 1-2 year stopgap at LW.

I see no way Hextall throws big money or term at anyone. This is still a transition year. Baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad