Flyers Furious at Hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The Flyers organization is furious with the Florida Panthers' Garnett E. for his dirty hit on Anton Volchenkov. The young 22 year old defenseman received a broken neck from the hit.

Although it was apparant from Garnett's reaction to Anton lying on the ice that he did not intend to hurt Volchenkov, he did and as a result Anton will be out for at least 3 months.

Garnett on the other hand received 5 game suspension. After the game, Flyers's GM Mannarino was seen running from the press box after he learned of the extent of Anton's injury and headed for the visitor's locker room. He had to be restrained from attacking the Panthers coach and from his main target the Panther's GM. After several minutes they were able to calm the hot-headed GM down.

We've learned that the Flyers this morning sent the league a request to review the suspension as they feel the hit and resulting injury justified a longer suspension and a large fine to the HF Panthers organization, coach and GM.

The Flyers expect to bring up Ray Giroux from the minors and possibly sign youngsters Paul Ranger and Tim Gleason.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The Florida Panthers have issued the following statement regarding the incident.

"We the Florida Panthers, wish the very best to defenseman Anton Volchenkov, after he suffered a broken neck against us last night. It is a very serious injury and we send our thoughts with him. Garnett has tried making phone contact with Anton and his family to apologize for the hit, breaking his neck was obviously the last thing he wanted to do. We are personally disappointed in the actions of Flyers GM Mannnario, however. He came over to our locker room following the game and threatened Exelby, our coach Dave Lewis and myself. He acted in a very unprofessional manor, which is unique for Mr. Mannario as we've been successful trading partners in the past. He challenged me to a fistfight, of which I declined because I didn't want to be responsible for the serious injury of another Flyer. We the Panthers wish the best to the Flyers the rest of the season and a speedy recovery to Mr. Volchenkov"

GM Brock Otten

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Brock said:
".... He challenged me to a fistfight, of which I declined because I didn't want to be responsible for the serious injury of another Flyer...."

I see this as a challenge. Can someone call the ppl at WWE or WWF or Don King to set something up. I'll definitely get front row seats for this one. :biglaugh:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Donga said:
I see this as a challenge. Can someone call the ppl at WWE or WWF or Don King to set something up. I'll definitely get front row seats for this one. :biglaugh:

strangely enough, it will have to wait 4-6 weeks as yesterday i fractured my hand and am typing in a cast at this very moment.

Sources can confirm that the hand was NOT fractured over Mannario's dome however!

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Do you smell what Mannarino is cooking....

Brock is right, it wasn't broken over my head, he was too slow as I smoothly backed off his right cross. Unfortunately for Brock, as his fist flew past me, I grabbed his forearm and jammed his hand against the brick wall and the hideous noise of a bone crackin was heard by everyone enjoying the action. I would like to say he took it like a champ, but sadly, he wept like a baby.

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad