The Athletic - Boston Fluto's readers poll - Should the Bruins rebuild immediately? The Athletic’s fan survey shows a divided fanbase

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm surprised that he didn't pull the trigger sooner because of the Dave Lewis fiasco.
Cam was promoted in June 2010

June 16, 2010

BOSTON, MA – Boston Bruins Owner Jeremy Jacobs and Principal Charlie Jacobs announced today that Cam Neely has been named President of the Boston Bruins. Neely becomes the eighth president in club history and will now oversee all hockey and business operations of the Boston Bruins.

"I have known Cam since he was a player and have watched him grow and develop as a true leader with this team and the community,” said Bruins Owner Jeremy Jacobs. “Along with Harry Sinden, he is one of the most passionate men I have ever met when it comes to the Bruins. The President has the responsibility for carrying the torch of the team. I can't think of a more ideal person to pass the torch to than Cam Neely, the eighth President of the Boston Bruins."

“I view Cam’s promotion to President of the Bruins as the next step in the development of the franchise,” said Bruins Principal Charlie Jacobs. “His knowledge of the game, his understanding of what it takes to win and his passion for the fans of New England will help guide our organization and our approach to all matters both on and off the ice.”

"I am honored and proud to be named the eighth team President in Boston Bruins history today,” said Bruins President Cam Neely. “The last three seasons working in the Bruins front office has been an experience that I have truly enjoyed each and every day. We have made great strides as an organization in recent years both on and off the ice. But having said that, we understand much more progress can be made, and much more progress needs to be made if we are able to meet our ultimate objectives. As President, I embrace these challenges that lie ahead and look forward to taking this organization to new heights."

The 2009-10 season was Neely’s third in the Bruins front office, as he returned to the organization in September 2007 as a Vice President. In that capacity, he served as an advisor to General Manager Peter Chiarelli on player development and other hockey operations issues and worked with Principal Charlie Jacobs on the club’s business and hockey operations.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Bergeron and Krejci weren't enough 2019-2021; at their current age, in Pro-athlete years, really playing with the proverbial fire waiting for their decline to start showing.

Hate to say it, but while we have some good young talent (McAvoy, Swayman, Pasta), the team seems to be be heading downward, although there are many positive spins on it, I don't think another "last hurrah" is worth it. And likely ends with hockey ending in early spring again.
They absolutely are not enough to truly contend, I agree. And there obviously isn’t enough cap space to add a top player, and our GM lacks any real creativity to make hockey trades to improve the club enough to contend.

However, I’m pessimistic that “contending” is really the goal.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Bergeron and Krejci weren't enough 2019-2021; at their current age, in Pro-athlete years, really playing with the proverbial fire waiting for their decline to start showing.

Hate to say it, but while we have some good young talent (McAvoy, Swayman, Pasta), the team seems to be be heading downward, although there are many positive spins on it, I don't think another "last hurrah" is worth it. And likely ends with hockey ending in early spring again.

Almost undeniably true. I’d still bet if the Bruins are given the option, they will take it.

This is an organization that has made it clear they’re only going to transition when they absolutely have to do so.

Sure, there’s the money…but just as much, I think they made a decision a long time ago they won’t make the move until Bergeron decides to leave.

It’s funny to even think of DS/Neely going “nahh, we don’t want you guys back, we’re focused on losing from here on out.” Just doesn’t seem like them at all. They’ll wait for the narrative to write itself.

“Bergeron is gone. It’s time.”

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, but Chiarelli at least never passed on a talented player falling in his lap in round 1.

Hamilton fell to him at 9, and he didnt hesitate. Pastrnak fell to him at 24, he didn't hesitate. How many picks he'd have is up for debate, but if he had #13 and Barzal fell to him, Barzal would be a Bruin today.
How can you say that Barzal would be a Broon? Chia HAD the next pick and he traded it to the NYI for Griffin Reinhart. Only THEN did the NYI draft Barzal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad