The Athletic - Boston Fluto: I am done with faceoffs in hockey

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Do away with faceoffs entirely.

Everywhere, as a matter of fact.

After each goal, allow the team that was scored upon to start with the puck at center ice. Soccer appears to be surviving just fine with this norm.

Let a team on the power play go right into its set pieces. If there’s a stoppage in one end, give the puck to the attacking team to begin the next shift.

Does basketball have a jump ball after each basket? Of course not.

Hockey, at all levels, has a strange fascination with faceoffs. In the NHL, I’ve heard just about every coach speak in practically dreamy terms when discussing centers who win more faceoffs than they lose.
It’s a strange way to think about what is, really, just another puck battle.

Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon (9-16—25) was the most dominant center of the postseason. MacKinnon finished at 49.1 percent. The Islanders’ Mat Barzal (5-10—15) is still getting his chances, even though he’s won only 47.7 percent of his faceoffs. Edmonton’s Connor McDavid still managed to be the best player on the planet with a 47.8 percent faceoff winning percentage.

Analysts have studied the relatively benign nature of faceoffs. They’ve concluded that faceoffs do not significantly influence goals scored. According to Michael Schuckers, professor of statistics at St. Lawrence University, 76.5 faceoff wins are required to produce a one-goal differential.

Reactions: BNHL

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I mean you can get rid of the faceoff after a goalie covers the puck but how do you fix the timing to not give one team an advantage. Do you let the attacking team surround the goalie so he can't pass it or make them clear the zone. Because the latter is a HUGE reward for freezing a puck.

Offsides I guess you can just give the opponent the puck in their end thats fine. But how do you possibly penalize icing? A penalty shot?

These guys get paid to play hockey for a living. The 20% of guys on the ice who will take faceoffs are going to all be good at it. I remember going from really good to awful at faceoffs seemingly overnight when I played and competition got better.

Reactions: sarge88 and LSCII

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
While I often question the legality of many face-offs - centers not square, players encroaching, sticks not down, etc. - I am not in favor of removing them. It would eliminate key strategic elements of the game, such as handedness for left side and right side draws, putting two centers or at least two capable of winning a face-off in the defensive zone, and it removes a key facet of a good PK.

Not to mention it would eliminate buzzer-beater set plays from face-offs (remember the Kings?) and other such PP strategies; which the B's use regularly.

I'm not crazy about possession-obsessed hockey; but I do like that hockey makes teams battle for possession.

I don't think sports need to change rules just to be hip or current. That runner on second base in extra innings is asinine.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am done with Fluto in hockey.
4X54IGAE3QI6DOFQNUT6IR6DKA.jpg

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
And to solve the unfairness of the faceoff, just have the puck shoot up in the air from a hole in center ice after any stoppage.

We can even put a plexi dome over the entire sheet of ice so pucks never go out of play again.

Its not a bad idea. You don't think Brad Marchand belongs permanently strapped to a spinning metal pole in a bubble of course? Noone would have to worry about covid.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Do away with faceoffs entirely.

Everywhere, as a matter of fact.

After each goal, allow the team that was scored upon to start with the puck at center ice. Soccer appears to be surviving just fine with this norm.

Let a team on the power play go right into its set pieces. If there’s a stoppage in one end, give the puck to the attacking team to begin the next shift.

Does basketball have a jump ball after each basket? Of course not.

Hockey, at all levels, has a strange fascination with faceoffs. In the NHL, I’ve heard just about every coach speak in practically dreamy terms when discussing centers who win more faceoffs than they lose.
It’s a strange way to think about what is, really, just another puck battle.

Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon (9-16—25) was the most dominant center of the postseason. MacKinnon finished at 49.1 percent. The Islanders’ Mat Barzal (5-10—15) is still getting his chances, even though he’s won only 47.7 percent of his faceoffs. Edmonton’s Connor McDavid still managed to be the best player on the planet with a 47.8 percent faceoff winning percentage.

Analysts have studied the relatively benign nature of faceoffs. They’ve concluded that faceoffs do not significantly influence goals scored. According to Michael Schuckers, professor of statistics at St. Lawrence University, 76.5 faceoff wins are required to produce a one-goal differential.

Let's keep faceoffs and get rid of Fluto! Comparing hockey to soccer and basketball is just lame. Does he even understand strategy and the history of the game. :huh: Let's get rid of body checks, and do they really need ice in hockey? Hey, if we get rid of faceoffs, do we need centers? Oh the possibilities.:sarcasm::thumbd:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad