News Article: Fluto: Bruins need a three-zone defenseman — a rare commodity

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Bruins need a three-zone defenseman — a rare commodity

By Fluto Shinzawa

Don Sweeney understands the magnitude of a high-end 200-foot defenseman, and not just because he partnered with one of the best in NHL history.

“I had the luxury of playing with Raymond for 15 years,†the Bruins general manager said of Ray Bourque. “You realize half the game is accounted for.â€

Bourque did it all. He played 30 minutes nightly, defended stoutly, initiated the attack, and supported the offense. The Hockey Hall of Fame recognized Bourque’s brilliance with swift admittance in 2004, his first year of eligibility.

This offseason, Sweeney’s priority is to develop or acquire a defenseman who could provide the Bruins an approximation of his ex-partner’s portfolio.

Good luck.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What's Sweeney talking about? It's not hard. Hell, didn't he just resign one of those types today??? :naughty:

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
I lime very much Jeremy Lauzon....

But he won't be ready for a couple of years.

Meanwhile the Bruins need to find someone.

Zboril might become a good NHLer, but it will take more time.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I lime very much Jeremy Lauzon....

But he won't be ready for a couple of years.

Meanwhile the Bruins need to find someone.

Zboril might become a good NHLer, but it will take more time.

And yet neither will become what Ray Bourque was because how many of that type has the league seen, let alone one team gotten? It's not a knock on them either, but if the hope is they trade for or develop a generational talent on d to fix their issues, then this team is screwed far worse than I thought...

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
So...we've heard this so much from everywhere.

What do you do? Okay, you decide to pay up. Move whoever. Trade Marchand. Trade Pasta. That's one road. Done.

DS must have pondered this...and came back saying, "I just can't with some good, young, defenders (Zaboril, Carlo, Linus, etc.) in the pipeline." So we limp along.

But DS has got to make the playoffs. Once again, he's being pulled apart.

I'm sure he will bring in one shiny, new, vet on D. But after re-signing K. Miller, and Krug soon to get a good payday...can we expect more than that?

I don't see it. I hope so. The Bruins need a sea change on D, not a tinkering.

I think DS has put his trust in McQuaid. That could make all the difference.

I'm fine with going C. Miller #6...

So where is DS going to make strides?

Chara
Krug
McQuaid
K. Miller
C. Miller/Morrow

Seidenberg's slot is the only glaring target. Doesn't seem like enough, to me.

I guess I shouldn't doubt DS to go out and do what he wants in a cloud of dust. Wheeling and dealing.

Just not feeling it.

I wasn't feeling it even before the K. Miller re-signing. I get the old "familiarity with the system" thought process.

If I was DS, I would rather go down gunning than rely on the same D group minus one change. Lots of sleepless nights.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So...we've heard this so much from everywhere.

What do you do? Okay, you decide to pay up. Move whoever. Trade Marchand. Trade Pasta. That's one road. Done.

DS must have pondered this...and came back saying, "I just can't with some good, young, defenders (Zaboril, Carlo, Linus, etc.) in the pipeline." So we limp along.

But DS has got to make the playoffs. Once again, he's being pulled apart.

I'm sure he will bring in one shiny, new, vet on D. But after re-signing K. Miller, and Krug soon to get a good payday...can we expect more than that?

I don't see it. I hope so. The Bruins need a sea change on D, not a tinkering.

I think DS has put his trust in McQuaid. That could make all the difference.

I'm fine with going C. Miller #6...

So where is DS going to make strides?

Chara
Krug
McQuaid
K. Miller
C. Miller/Morrow

Seidenberg's slot is the only glaring target. Doesn't seem like enough, to me.

I guess I shouldn't doubt DS to go out and do what he wants in a cloud of dust. Wheeling and dealing.

Just not feeling it.

I wasn't feeling it even before the K. Miller re-signing. I get the old "familiarity with the system" thought process.

If I was DS, I would rather go down gunning than rely on the same D group minus one change. Lots of sleepless nights.

Once again I agreed completely with another of your posts. Logic tells me that this is only the beginning of the free agency (season) but by starting on the low end of the roster it's very frustrating and anxiety inducing.
Sweeney has to bring in some exciting names to keep the fans coming in, especially if he also expects to make the playoffs to keep the Jacobs's happy. As always, like every year at this time I expect good things to happen....I'm stoopid like dat.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Once again I agreed completely with another of your posts. Logic tells me that this is only the beginning of the free agency (season) but by starting on the low end of the roster it's very frustrating and anxiety inducing.
Sweeney has to bring in some exciting names to keep the fans coming in, especially if he also expects to make the playoffs to keep the Jacobs's happy. As always, like every year at this time I expect good things to happen....I'm stoopid like dat.

Thanks. It's weird, DS has been aggressive, so I shouldn't doubt him revamping the D...but...hmmm...I just don't see him putting in the work. Just a feeling.

Even if it made things harder on paper, what I'd really like to see is BOTH Chara and Seidenberg moved. Put the weight on the D as a whole. No Chara and Seids to take responsibility. Let guys like Krug and McQuaid step up...

...along with a couple, solid, young and steady additions to fit into a group.

But, it's fantasy. They won't move the Big Guy. I've always assumed he's here until he hangs it up.

In the end, I just hope the guy they bring in is the right fit. Even if adding him and subtracting Seidenberg and Liles doesn't put us much ahead.

The flash guy they add will be Vesey. That's what they'll market.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
oops, typed my Kevan Miller response in the wrong thread... LOL

I think the "three zone" guy they are after is obviously Kevin Shattenkirk. I think we are going hard after him this off-season; and wouldn't be surprised to see an overpayment trade to get him. Whether he is really that guy or not we'll see...

Last edited:

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
oops, typed my Kevan Miller response in the wrong thread... LOL

I think the "three zone" guy they are after is obviously Kevin Shattenkirk. I think we are going hard after him this off-season; and wouldn't be surprised to see an overpayment trade to get him. Whether he is really that guy or not we'll see...

I watch Shattenkirk close every game these playoffs.He is an excellent player.And better running a powerply then Pieterangelo too.Its not even close.He gets sold short in St Louis bigtime.Love to see Bruins add him.Would make a huge difference on backend cause guys would be seeing less minutes and used in spots more suited.

CDonns

Nov 28, 2015
MA
I watch Shattenkirk close every game these playoffs.He is an excellent player.And better running a powerply then Pieterangelo too.Its not even close.He gets sold short in St Louis bigtime.Love to see Bruins add him.Would make a huge difference on backend cause guys would be seeing less minutes and used in spots more suited.

We have Krug to run the PP. Our problem was getting the puck out of the zone and put the team in transition. If JBo was under 28 years old he'd be perfect for this team. Is there any defenseman that is comparable to him?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We have Krug to run the PP. Our problem was getting the puck out of the zone and put the team in transition. If JBo was under 28 years old he'd be perfect for this team. Is there any defenseman that is comparable to him?

Trade Krug + McQuaid + pick/prospect for Shattenkirk

Sign Alex Goligoski

Chara - Shattenkirk
Goligoski - K.Miller
Seidenberg - C.Miller

Extra: Morrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad