News Article: Fluto: Bruins moving the wrong way after Winter Classic thumping

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The upcoming schedule is not kind to the B's

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ic-thumping/z9tFmVfQRM7k4GAz1Z37FL/story.html

The Bruins are in a jam.

They are coming off being routed, 5-1, in the Winter Classic. They have lost four of their last five games. They play Washington, the best team in the league, on Tuesday at TD Garden. Then they leave town for a five-game road trip.

David Krejci, sidelined the last two games with an injured right arm, could miss the entire stretch. Brad Marchand will not be back until Saturday against Ottawa, the team that inspired his bout of brainlessness last Tuesday.

So the last thing the Bruins can afford to do is let Friday’s outdoor result fester. Such messes are best left in the drain and forgotten.

“You’ve got to put these aside,†said coach Claude Julien, having ditched his Bill Belichick-inspired hoodie. “Things aren’t going to get any easier right now. I don’t know if we anticipate having anybody back for the next game yet or not. So we have to move on with what we have. When you have a lineup, you just have to tell yourself you need to be better, and we have to be better as a group.â€

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Doesn't help that we'll probably be playing a cranky caps team that is coming off of back to back losses.

That team is too good to let three losses happen in a row.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
This might make DS decide to be sellers as the trade deadline approaches.

I don't think he's going to make decisions on the team with how it responds to losing Center 1A and the #1 winger. Similar to Chicago losing Toews and Kane. Not saying Kane is Marchand,but Chicago is what it is with both those players healthy.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
It was one game let's all pump the breaks a little. A few days ago everyone was sky high. Decisions can't be made based on one sample point regardless. Especially with dk, marchy and pasta out.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
No, it's not one game, they are 1-4 over last 5. They can't afford to go into a slump with the parity this year

I'd agree with you that they've struggled for more than 1 game, with 4 losses in the last 5 games.

I question, though, the "they can't afford to go into a slump" thought and what that really means. The Bruins are what they are, a team coming off a rough year, who have seen a lot of organizational changes in an effort to get out of cap hell and become a contender again.

With that I'd argue that the one thing the Bruins absolutely can not afford to do as an organization is panic over the recent play, and make a stupid move in an attempt to make the playoffs at the expense of the work that's gone in already to improve the team and cap situation, and at the expense of the team's future.

So let's relax, be patient and see what happens. Plenty of time to figure this out.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I think we are absolutely headed for or I should say will continue our slump. We're not even in the same class as the Caps, healthy or not so that game is just something we'll have to suck up. We have a reasonable shot against everybody else in the east when we're healthy and playing well. Unfortunately we're neither healthy nor playing well. I'm guessing we are into mid to late Jan before we start to snap out of our slump and return to early December form. Sadly we most likely will be outside of a wild card spot.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I think we are absolutely headed for or I should say will continue our slump. We're not even in the same class as the Caps, healthy or not so that game is just something we'll have to suck up. We have a reasonable shot against everybody else in the east when we're healthy and playing well. Unfortunately we're neither healthy nor playing well. I'm guessing we are into mid to late Jan before we start to snap out of our slump and return to early December form. Sadly we most likely will be outside of a wild card spot.

Sucks to say but probably all true, let's hope they can prove us wrong.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
I'd agree with you that they've struggled for more than 1 game, with 4 losses in the last 5 games.

I question, though, the "they can't afford to go into a slump" thought and what that really means. The Bruins are what they are, a team coming off a rough year, who have seen a lot of organizational changes in an effort to get out of cap hell and become a contender again.

With that I'd argue that the one thing the Bruins absolutely can not afford to do as an organization is panic over the recent play, and make a stupid move in an attempt to make the playoffs at the expense of the work that's gone in already to improve the team and cap situation, and at the expense of the team's future.

So let's relax, be patient and see what happens. Plenty of time to figure this out.

this has been an inconsistent team all year, its right in line with them to go into a slump now, after playing well. its just what the 2015/16 bruins are

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
The Caps and this road trip could literally break this team for the season if they aren't careful.

I'm scared.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
There were always going to be ups and downs with the team this season.

Could go on a tear with a healthy team and hot goaltending and the arse could fall out of the whole thing when injuries hit and goaltending cools off.

kilnamona

Mar 22, 2007
this has been an inconsistent team all year, its right in line with them to go into a slump now, after playing well. its just what the 2015/16 bruins are
and what the 14/15 bruins were, this crap has been going on for over a year. a definite lack of effective leadership both on and off the ice.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Just a reminder that in spite of some success this team is going to be a bubble team and likely done by the second round (probably first but with Rask and a good match up they might steal a round).

I think the caps are pretty much a loss even if we were healthy. I think the focus should be on finding a way to beat the Other teams on that stretch.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I was laughed out of the building for saying the Bruins would finish 7th in conference pre-season...

That's staying pretty healthy.

Considering it's safe to say I was on the positive side, you dilude that with key injuries...and it doesn't take much to be just plain bad.

You can't get blood from a stone.

This team will go as far as Rask carries them...but there's a limit to that even being a possibiliy. Of late, even if Rask went nuts we still don't have enough.

I know I am one of many, but I'm PO'd Randell isn't as favorably viewed by management as he is by us fans. All I see is a guy that plays the game hard, a example of what we HAVE TO have more of...and has even popped in a few for us.

I know we need offense. But stop banging your head against the wall with Koko. It ain't happen'n.

Either commit to 20+ games for him in Boston, or leave him in PROV and include him in a deal ASAP.

And play a guy that contributes like Randell.

But I guess we as fans see it differently.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
This might make DS decide to be sellers as the trade deadline approaches.

I'd love to see him sell after what he said about Chia heading out the door.

Basically, not making the playoffs is unacceptable...no bridge years...every year we're going for the Cup...yada yada yada...you're fired...

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
This isn't like the 2014/2015 team. I see a lot more heart in their game this year. Krug has become a top 4. Spooner is breaking out as a top player on this team. Vatrano is bringing jam, speed, and goal scoring. Marchand (when not suspended, grrr) is playing a career season. Colin Miller is demonstrating that he could be a major piece of the team going forward. Ferraro is looking to be a productive and highly versatile player.

Last year was pure garbage. This year, I'm seeing a lot more. There are problems, and it is largely due to the defense not having a middle ground: old and slow, then young and learning. The loss of Boychuk may be the reason that this team either doesn't make the playoffs or gets bounced in the first round. Chia mutilated this team in the last years of his tenure.

Echoing the above, Randell absolutely should play more.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
This isn't like the 2014/2015 team. I see a lot more heart in their game this year. Krug has become a top 4. Spooner is breaking out as a top player on this team. Vatrano is bringing jam, speed, and goal scoring. Marchand (when not suspended, grrr) is playing a career season. Colin Miller is demonstrating that he could be a major piece of the team going forward. Ferraro is looking to be a productive and highly versatile player.

Last year was pure garbage. This year, I'm seeing a lot more. There are problems, and it is largely due to the defense not having a middle ground: old and slow, then young and learning. The loss of Boychuk may be the reason that this team either doesn't make the playoffs or gets bounced in the first round. Chia mutilated this team in the last years of his tenure.

Echoing the above, Randell absolutely should play more.

Agreed.

The Seguin trade may in the end turn out to be the bad trade Chia gets remembered for by the media and various fans but the Boychuk trade is what killed the team. He created a hole in the defense that we had nobody in the system able to fill. This was compounded by Chara's injury then the Hamilton trade happened and the team basically has two aging veterans, a veteran who should really be on the bottom pair and a mix of career third pair guys and young guys who need more sheltering than Julien has manpower. Krug I think may in the end prove himself as a second pair Dman but he isn't the answer to the Boychuk hole.

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
trying to see some sense into what the h^^l this team is doing? Pasta comes back.. lets send him down.. k miller playing badly... (pick up a man in front once in a while.. cover someone !) lets sit the kids...
to me.. what i see is a team that is kind of complacent. Chara is messing up not because he is getting older.. his mistakes are mental... the flubbed passes across his own end.. not playing well in his own end... what they need is some serious booing at home... let them hear you.. maybe they will think they are on the road and go 11-3-2 like on the road ? this team is better than they are playing.. sadly.. some of the players need to be held accountable.
ok.. i may be ranting..but in the 45yrs plus i have been a bruins fan.. this year.. can not figure them out.

Last edited:

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
trying to see some sense into what the h^^l this team is doing? Pasta comes back.. lets send him down.. k miller playing badly... (pick up a man in front once in a while.. cover someone !) lets sit the kids...
to me.. what i see is a team that is kind of complacent. Chara is messing up not because he is getting older.. his mistakes are mental... the flubbed passes across his own end.. not playing well in his own end... what they need is some serious booing at home... let them hear you.. maybe they will think they are on the road and go 11-3-2 like on the road ? this team is better than they are playing.. sadly.. some of the players need to be held accountable.
ok.. i may be ranting..but in the 45yrs plus i have been a bruins fan.. this year.. can not figure them out.

Chara is playing well enough to ensure a good return still.

The majority do not want him traded so I am not going to say much more. They believe it is something you just do not do.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Biggest problem for Bruins, right now, is that they have ZERO players who can be elevated to a higher role without suffering the consequences of it. Talbot was on 3rd line duties and got killed. Kevan Miller is a #6 D-man at best and can't log more minutes then he does unless the Bruins want to be killed.... I think we know, for quite sometimes, that our D is the biggest weakness. For whatever reasons, Sweeney is unable to improve the situation but he will have to act on it if he really want to make the playoffs. Chara, McQuaid, Miller, Trotman are slow d-mans and since this league is build on speed, we always get burn. We are so exposed to outside speed that it's not even funny. When a guy like McQuaid make the ill advised decision to pinch, you can see the odd man rush coming fast. Same apply to Chara who looked like a turtle who tried to skate with 3 broken legs against Montreal. Lucic trade was a step in the right direction but i think the Bruins will have to make the tough decision to trade a markee forwards for a legit D-man. In the end, the Bruins can affors to wait 3-4-5 years to see their blueline prospects develop into legit NHL'ers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad