The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: 8 reasons the Bruins are steamrolling the NHL, and why I was so wrong about them

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I have lost count of the number of times I have classified Brad Marchand as the No. 1 all-around left wing in the league. Charlie McAvoy got my vote for the Norris Trophy last season. Like any coach, Jim Montgomery, I believed, would need time to become familiar with his players and expect optimization of his system. With Pavel Zacha as the only every-game newcomer, I did not foresee how 2021-22’s mid-ranked offense would come to life instantly.

For all these reasons, I thought the 2022-23 Bruins would not qualify for the playoffs until Game No. 82. Now it looks like they might turn the trick by Thanksgiving.

The 8-1-0 Bruins are steamrolling like a Mad Max war rig. It is the first time in franchise history they have won eight of their first nine games. The eye test and the statistics are aligned. The Bruins are the NHL’s best team.

1. There is a team-wide lightness that did not always emerge last season.

2. David Pastrnak (seven goals, 17 points) has taken another step.

3. The Bruins are playing fast. This is because of Montgomery’s system.

4. The depth is overwhelming.

5. Ullmark is an ace.

6. Patrice Bergeron is Patrice Bergeron.

7. They’ve been in command. The Bruins have scored first in seven of their nine games. They’ve won all seven.

8. The defense has improved.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I have lost count of the number of times I have classified Brad Marchand as the No. 1 all-around left wing in the league. Charlie McAvoy got my vote for the Norris Trophy last season. Like any coach, Jim Montgomery, I believed, would need time to become familiar with his players and expect optimization of his system. With Pavel Zacha as the only every-game newcomer, I did not foresee how 2021-22’s mid-ranked offense would come to life instantly.

For all these reasons, I thought the 2022-23 Bruins would not qualify for the playoffs until Game No. 82. Now it looks like they might turn the trick by Thanksgiving.

The 8-1-0 Bruins are steamrolling like a Mad Max war rig. It is the first time in franchise history they have won eight of their first nine games. The eye test and the statistics are aligned. The Bruins are the NHL’s best team.

5. Ullmark is an ace.

7. They’ve been in command. The Bruins have scored first in seven of their nine games. They’ve won all seven.

Oh my God.

Fluto --whose silence was deafening when the veracity of his Pasta Hates Sweeney quote was questioned and apparently discredited -- admits a mistake. Eight of them.

Another sign, if any were needed, that the apocalypse is nigh.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

5. Ullmark is an ace.

Voted for Charlie McAvoy as last year's Norris winner.

So he was the one & only writer (out of 195) who voted for Charlie. Something to be proud of.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Voted for Charlie McAvoy as last year's Norris winner.

So he was the one & only writer (out of 195) who voted for Charlie. Something to be proud of.
I stopped taking that guy seriously years ago.

If you wanna find out where to get a decent breakfast in Pittsburgh, maybe he's useful for that (but still not as good as @Fenway), but as a hockey writer? Hard no.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

5. Ullmark is an ace.

I am going to try and be the very unpopular voice of restraint if not reason here.
1 Yes there is a lightness and willingness to make, and hustle out of, mistakes.
2. No argument. Pasta is even backchecking most of the time.
3. They are playing fast but not any faster than under Cassidy. They are getting in shooting lanes better, and inside better on offense.
4. The depth is good, though I think Pittsburgh matches or exceeds it, and the Rangers are even also.
5. Ullmark is absolutely on fire. However, I am not ready to declare someone with his track record "an ace."
6.Glad to have Bergy back, he is still good, but has slowed a touch.
7. Fast starters make for winning hockey, but I am not so sure it isn't the result of several home games.
8. Monty's system suits Cliffy better, and I see more attention to shot blocking, but I also see many bad turnovers and some confusion. The confusion should clear up, I am not so sure about the turnovers.

I think this new, improved system thing is overstated, if not a false narrative. They are buying into a different style more readily is all.

All this said, I expect a couple of loses in the immediate three or four game future, and some normalization.
The team is obviously good, but don't plan for the President's trophy yet.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I stopped taking that guy seriously years ago.

If you wanna find out where to get a decent breakfast in Pittsburgh, maybe he's useful for that (but still not as good as @Fenway), but as a hockey writer? Hard no.

He's bright, and he understands the mechanics of the game in a way I certainly don't.

But, he's always struck me as someone who is very pleased with himself. He's been arrogant. Not as much as some, but that, for me, has been a through-line in observing his work.

I signed up for The Athletic, with Boston-based Fluto as head Bruins writer in June, I think. It was a dollar friendly trial. That is, a dollar a month.

I cancelled in September. It wasn't worth it.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This guy ate every shit sandwich Bruce fed him without questioning it for a second. The way he said everyone was leaving and the team was done after Bruce left was pitiful.

Being wrong about wins and losses is no big deal but what he did around the time Bruce was fired was a disgrace to journalism.

Reactions: DKH

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This guy ate every shit sandwich Bruce fed him without questioning it for a second. The way he said everyone was leaving and the team was done after Bruce left was pitiful.

Being wrong about wins and losses is no big deal but what he did around the time Bruce was fired was a disgrace to journalism.
nah

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I am going to try and be the very unpopular voice of restraint if not reason here.
1 Yes there is a lightness and willingness to make, and hustle out of, mistakes.
2. No argument. Pasta is even backchecking most of the time.
3. They are playing fast but not any faster than under Cassidy. They are getting in shooting lanes better, and inside better on offense.
4. The depth is good, though I think Pittsburgh matches or exceeds it, and the Rangers are even also.
5. Ullmark is absolutely on fire. However, I am not ready to declare someone with his track record "an ace."
6.Glad to have Bergy back, he is still good, but has slowed a touch.
7. Fast starters make for winning hockey, but I am not so sure it isn't the result of several home games.
8. Monty's system suits Cliffy better, and I see more attention to shot blocking, but I also see many bad turnovers and some confusion. The confusion should clear up, I am not so sure about the turnovers.

I think this new, improved system thing is overstated, if not a false narrative. They are buying into a different style more readily is all.

All this said, I expect a couple of loses in the immediate three or four game future, and some normalization.
The team is obviously good, but don't plan for the President's trophy yet.
I get the bit, but I’m fascinated with how long it will run before you’re even a smidge positive with this team. Guessing Feb 10 as an O/U.

Reactions: Orr Fourever

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I get the bit, but I’m fascinated with how long it will run before you’re even a smidge positive with this team. Guessing Feb 10 as an O/U.
It is not a "bit". Actually,mid-January is closer to right and fair. They have to show me something in tough road games and go once through the league. I didn't even say "they are "obviously good" in my post, did I? Something for you to ponder.

Last edited:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Every other article that he wrote for the season leading up to the Seattle expansion was not that they might select Clifton, or that he thinks they should select Clifton, but that they were, without any doubt, going to select Clifton. Wasn't even a question, it was etched in stone. That's the stuff that annoys me.

I think Ty Anderson is the most underrated writer in town. I really like his work.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It is not a "bit". Actually,mid-January is closer to right and fair. They have to show me something in tough road games and go once through the league. I didn't even say "they are good" in my post, did I? Something for you to ponder.

Words of wisdom from the guy that said the other day that Zacha may indeed be faster without the puck than with. Ya think?

🤣

Reactions: DKH and 13Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad