Flossing your teeth does not prevent cavities (as well as ADA thought)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/08/02/flossing-may-not-prevent-cavities-as-well-as-we-thought/

The federal government has been recommending flossing in its Dietary Guidelines since 1979.

The American Dental Association says, “Flossing is an essential part of taking care of your teeth and gums.â€

But, in its latest release of Dietary Guidelines, the federal government quietly dropped the flossing requirement.

When asked about it through the Freedom of Information Act, government officials revealed a report that found the majority of studies fail to demonstrate flossing is effective in removing plaque.

There is one study that credits flossing with a slight reduction in gum inflammation.

So, don't go postal if you skip flossing. :sarcasm: :naughty:

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Title doesn't match the blurb. My first thought was "Who expects flossing to prevent cavities?" :laugh:

My electric toothbrush has a separate head that's significantly smaller (just one peg of bristles as opposed to several) which I've preferred to use when trying to clean my gums. Looks like this:

PROD49_02_d_big.jpg

Never seem to have had an issue at the dentist, except with gum inflammation. And honestly, when it sometimes feels like they're using a damn saw to clean them, I don't really know that that's my fault.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I still floss because it makes my mouth feel cleaner and fresher by removing food particles from between my teeth.

Keep up the flossing I say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad