OT: Florida Panthers All-Time Number Team: #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Hey guys, I thought I might start a new fun set of threads that's designed to go through all the numbers Panthers players have ever worn. Each thread will be a poll to decide the best player for that number. When this is all done, I'll put together a list of the Florida Panthers All-Time Number Team

Notes:
  • Some numbers only have one player, so they will represent it by default (and we won't have a thread for them), and obviously some numbers have never been worn and will be skipped.
  • If a player wore more than one number for the Panthers, they will be eligible for all numbers worn. If a player wins a number, they cannot be eligible for another.
  • The voting only matters for the time that player was a Florida Panther. Ignore their work for any other team.
  • In the case of a tie after the 72 hours has completely run out on a poll, we will have a run-off poll to decide that winner.

So far:
Number|Name
1| Roberto Luongo
2| Terry Carkner
3| Paul Laus
4| Jay Bouwmeester
5| Aaron Ekblad
6| Jason Woolley
7| Dmitry Kulikov
8| Peter Worrell
9| Stephen Weiss
10|Pavel Bure
11|Bill Lindsay
12|Olli Jokinen
13|Juraj Kolnik
14|Ray Whitney
15|Jozef Stumpel

NOTE: Btw, bear with me on this one, this is the MOST popular number in Panthers history, so we have a lot to choose from while I make this poll.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
I was sorely tempted to go with Ray Sheppard. Horton has to be in the discussion despite his underachieving here. But in the end I think even though the kid is only 20, Sasha has already shown more.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I was sorely tempted to go with Ray Sheppard. Horton has to be in the discussion despite his underachieving here. But in the end I think even though the kid is only 20, Sasha has already shown more.
Sheppard wore #26 more though, #16 only for his final season.

My pick was between Horton and Barkov, but I feel like the 6 year commitment and being pretty much the only true 1C that this franchise has ever had pushed it to Barkov's favour.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Craig Ferguson, because I really like what he did with his late night show after his hockey career.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I'm going Barkov. He's better kid/character guy day #1 over Horton, that means a lot to me. Sheppard should finish 2nd likely.

When all is said and done Barkov could be the best player ON AND OFF the ice this organization has ever seen. As a coach of youth sports all the way up to HS, you can only hope kids are raised the way Barkov has been from his mother and father. The kind of guy he is in that dressing room matters as much to me as the player he becomes on the ice. Positive influences like Jagr, Lou and Mitchell will help Barkov develop the next wave of Panthers in 4-6 years time.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
Still love Nate. One of my all time favorites. Don't care what folks say about him.

I understand Barkov is great and he'll hopefully have a better career than Horton but I'm voting based off what the players have done so far in their careers as Panthers. I give Horton the edge because he was here and very productive for 6 years while Barkov has really only been better than Horton for like a years worth of games.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Horton was a punk kid with too much talent for his neanderthal mind to handle.

Barkov is a better person, better hockey player overall and a better representation of the Florida Panthers. He'll will surpass whatever Horton did in terms of statistics eventually and Horton will be even less significant.

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
This was tough. Horton has the better stats and track record, but Barkov is already a #1 center, with a better two way game than Nate. I voted, but I feel like my answer could change back and forth.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I understand Barkov is great and he'll hopefully have a better career than Horton but I'm voting based off what the players have done so far in their careers as Panthers. I give Horton the edge because he was here and very productive for 6 years while Barkov has really only been better than Horton for like a years worth of games.
I won't argue, again, Nate is one of my favorite all time players and if he were still playing, I'd want him back home very badly. I'd buy his new red (Whatever #'d) jersey in a flash.

Barkov is part of what can easily argued as the best line in the National Hockey League. No offense to Huby, but Barkov is THE reason Jaromir Jagr caught his second wind. His recent signing says he should keep improving our chances at a winner for the next 6 years.

At this point if anyone in our history looks like it would touch the likes of Jagr or Bure, it'll be Barkov.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Quick Ray Sheppard story. I was participating in a hockey camp back when I was in HS and he was at the rink hanging out. He asked if one of the goalies from the camp could stay late and skate with him for a bit. I was the best goalie at the camp and was chosen. We were out there for about 30ish minutes and he would just go through a normal workout and occasionally take a shot on net. We eventually finished with a shootout competition. 5 shots and if I won, he'd buy me dinner from the restaurant upstairs. We split the first 4 attempts. for attempt #5, he pulls the move that Barkov used to beat Pitt in the shootout last year. Will post here for reference.

The only difference, Sheppard's wrists are so strong that he was able to put the puck in the top corner.

He just looked at me and said, yeah, I still got to buy you dinner after that.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
My vote went to the player who has played the best all round game, Barky, even though Hort had put up better numbers (did anybody have a better wrist shot than Horton?!).

** Freaky how similar his '07 & '08 seasons were here, both superb
'07 - 82 GP, 31 G, 31 A, 62 PTS, 61 PIMS, +15
'08 - 82 GP, 27 G, 35 A, 62 PTS, 85 PIMS, +15
Hard to say he didn't give his all those two seasons, but quitting on the team left a sour taste in my mouth.

Here's some highlights from Hort, Sheppard (in #26 ;)), & Kvasha (bad quality)just for fun though:

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Not going to risk ANYMORE controversies. These will be 3 day polls regardless of how close or not. Let it be :p

Also the bigger reason to allow 3 day polls is to make sure everyone who wants to, can vote. 3 days seems like a big enough amount of time to make that happen. I won't bother posting another one until the poll is closed to ensure that. It's much easier on my time anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad