Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Filip Zadina, the Red Wings 1st round pick and alumni from the QMJHL scores the winning goal in overtime of their development camp today. He is going to be a good one!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Took a look at kids from the 2017 draft. 3rd rnd pick Jeff Burridge's numbers weren't impressive but he was 16 on a team that made a long playoff run so they may not be telling the entire story. Uba played 39 games there with him. Also on that team and the second highest scoring D was Zach Uens. Tanner McEachern had solid numbers in the GOJHL but he is listed with a OJHL team for 2018-19. McEachern, Uens and Burridge could be kids worth a roster spot if Flint can get them to show up for camp.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Saw on Twitter that Burridge committed to Burlington Cougars OJHL in June. Don't believe he was at the development camp.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I don't think so and McEachern is listed on EliteProspects as playing for a Jr team in Windsor in 18-19. Still, even with a loaded roster this year they gotta keep pushing to recruit the best talent they can. I didn't think Saginaw was gonna be able to pull Blade Jenkins or Bode Wilde or Cole Perfetti but they did. Sometimes there's a hard "no", sometimes it just takes awhile and luck or circumstances to change. Just a couple names to keep on the radar and I didn't bother to go back and look at kids from the 2016 draft. I'm also curious to see how things go with Jacob Badal this year.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Did Bode Wilde ever play for Saginaw or are you expecting him to be there this season?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Did Bode Wilde ever play for Saginaw or are you expecting him to be there this season?

Bode hasnt played for Saginaw. However after decommiting from Michigan and getting drafted by the Islanders he has said he is coming to the OHL this season. If that means he plays in Saginaw or they move him for a ransom is to be determined

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
What bcspragu said. I don't know how much of a "ransom" to expect but I think they could possibly get better value for him in trade than he's worth. He fell in the NHL draft for some reason and the commentators made quite a bit out of "the issue" which the rarely do. I'd think some OHL teams may shy away from him but it only takes 2 bidders so who knows.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015

I mean...I appreciate seeing that someone thinks he's worth getting excited about, but he's a 16-year-old 12th-round pick. Does he really have a shot? Was he someone who slipped to the 12th because of his NCAA commitment and USHL stock?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
A lot of OHL draftees are selected much higher in the USHL. Some pan out in the USHL, but many do not. I agree. Does a 12th round OHL pick really have a shot.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
He's a solid Northeastern commit. He's got the talent for sure. It's more about whether or not Flint has the organization to lure him.

Gamma82

Jul 16, 2003
Joe's Garage
Can't compare a US kid with a college commit being drafted late to an Ontario kid getting drafted late. Much more risk that the US player doesn't go OHL route and you waste a pick. He was ranked #45 on Priority Selections Final Rankings for 2002 players before draft, right ahead of him was William Portokalis who went #39 overall.

Reactions: MJ5

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
It would be nice to see how many 12th round picks made it big in the OHL.

I love stories about underdogs rising up.
A couple of recent Petes were late draft picks but turned out to be very successful......

Logan Denoble, drafted in the 13th round, just finished his OA year as the Petes' captain.
He scored 154 points in 209 OHL games, including 85 goals. He is off to University and will play with the St. Mary's Huskies.

Steven Lorentz, drafted in the 12th round, just finished his first year as a pro. He was drafted by Carolina and played with their ECHL affiliate in Florida.
He scored 164 points in 247 OHL games.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Can't compare a US kid with a college commit being drafted late to an Ontario kid getting drafted late. Much more risk that the US player doesn't go OHL route and you waste a pick. He was ranked #45 on Priority Selections Final Rankings for 2002 players before draft, right ahead of him was William Portokalis who went #39 overall.
That's exactly why I asked. Good on them if they can land him.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Kind of far and few between, but I too love the success stories from the late rounds.

the dog

May 16, 2014
forgot Blake Siebenaler def niagara icedogs drafted 2012 15th rd and then drafted nhl 2014 3rd round by Columbus

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
There was this Smereck kid who I heard about that was a 15th round pick. Flint has had multiple later round American picks turn out to be quality hockey players. James Greenway (Wisconsin), Tyler Johnson (Soo Greyhounds), Evan Barrett (Penn St), Wyatt Bongiovanni (Quinnipiac), Zack Pittman, Vasili Kolias (Union), Noah Lalonde (Lake Superior), Joel Farabee (BU), Curtis Hall (Yale). That's just from the last few years and I might be missing some kids. The issue has been being able to recruit those kids.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
There was this Smereck kid who I heard about that was a 15th round pick. Flint has had multiple later round American picks turn out to be quality hockey players. James Greenway (Wisconsin), Tyler Johnson (Soo Greyhounds), Evan Barrett (Penn St), Wyatt Bongiovanni (Quinnipiac), Zack Pittman, Vasili Kolias (Union), Noah Lalonde (Lake Superior), Joel Farabee (BU), Curtis Hall (Yale). That's just from the last few years and I might be missing some kids. The issue has been being able to recruit those kids.

And thats the reason they are late rounders, most have made it known they are going the college route.

I feel like with the education some kids could get while here, Flint needs to use that to its advantage.

I doubt any of these guys would go to Kettering, but UofM Flint is a Michigan degree, so thats gotta account for something and Mott is a very solid community college.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
And thats the reason they are late rounders, most have made it known they are going the college route.

I feel like with the education some kids could get while here, Flint needs to use that to its advantage.

I doubt any of these guys would go to Kettering, but UofM Flint is a Michigan degree, so thats gotta account for something and Mott is a very solid community college.
For sure. The way Kettering schedules their stuff with 3 months school, 3 months work study could make it tough, or maybe something could be worked out to make it work for a kid. A lot of the kids I listed were just a bit later developmental curve, where the route to possibly playing pro works out better when they're 21-22-23 as opposed to 20-21. That makes the NCAA more attractive. Others like Greenway and Farabee can play wherever and still find their way into the pro ranks. Those are the kids Flint has to go after and pull and then hope a couple of the Bongiovanni's and Lalonde's can be convinced every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad