Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I am worried that George Burnett will be a top candidate for the Coach or G.M. job (or both) in Guelph. They fired their Coach/GM today.

Last edited:

Max1045

Mar 23, 2017
Max......Being away from the Flint area for over a decade can you verify the age of the ice operating plant at the Dort? Just wondering if an upgrade was done during the time I was away.

Also, are you aware as to how long (in years) an ice plant such as the size at the Dort (two rinks) operates efficiently before it starts to get to the point where it needs to be replaced.

I have a word document attached. The gentleman who stop by yesterday at the ticket office to return his ticket it was a pleasure talking with you. I should of shown you the dry floor.

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
I am worried that George Burnett will be a top candidate for the Coach or G.M. job (or both) in Guelph. They fired their Coach/GM today.

Check my earlier post #13. Didn't want to make it obvious with the way I worded it, but contacts were telling me about the potential Coach/GM situation/opening in Guelph. Now that it has been announced publicly and the fact that the newspaper beat writer for the Storm, Tony Saxon of the Guelph Mercury is stating that George Burnett will be the next Coach and GM of the Storm. If this indeed happens, there should be concern as to how this will affect the Firebirds.

https://twitter.com/SaxonOnTheStorm/status/850104378929315840

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
PHP:
Check my earlier post #13. Didn't want to make it obvious with the way I worded it, but contacts were telling me about the potential Coach/GM situation/opening in Guelph. Now that it has been announced publicly and the fact that the newspaper beat writer for the Storm, Tony Saxon of the Guelph Mercury is stating that George Burnett will be the next Coach and GM of the Storm. If this indeed happens, there should be concern as to how this will affect the Firebirds.

I would understand if true, but be dissapointed as well. However, at last years draft, Flint did not have a G.M. named either. Once Burnett was hired, we were able to get 4 of our draft picks to report, including our top 3 picks. Hopefully, if true, we can get another expetienced General Manager, or perhaps Joe Stefan is ready for the challene. This would have zero effect on Saturday's draft.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015

After reading your link sounds like pure speculation. More like thats who he would like not any actual knowledge that Burnett is taking the job. Is anyone even sure Burnett wants to coach again? Is Guelph so desirable that Burnett would go there when he has gotten off to such a good start building this team? I don't know Burnett at all other than the occasional run in at the arena but my general impression was that he was a standup type of guy. Does anyone else think it is likely he would exit Flint for Guelph this early in his tenure?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Is there any reason that Flint/Rolf Nilsen couldn't make Burnett's position official/permanent?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The report could end up being right or wrong. Seems a bit speculative but it could be informed speculation. Guelph could probably be tempting for George. Lots of picks, history, strong fanbase, closer to home/family. Just because Guelph has struggled on ice the last two seasons, that's not some B list OHL franchise. I hope he sticks around and to be honest, I'd be just a little bit dissapointed he burned through as many picks as he did this year....just for this year....only to bail after this year. IF he does move on, I'd hope Stefan is given some consideration for a chance at the job.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
"The Firebirds have traded their second-round pick, 30th overall, and Niagara’s fourth-round pick, 66th overall, both in the 2017 OHL Priority Selection, to Mississauga, for Guelph’s second-round pick, 23rd overall in the 2017 OHL Priority Selection.
Following the trade, Flint will now pick seven spots higher in the second-round of the 2017 OHL Priority Selection"

http://flintfirebirds.com/article/missytrade2

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Sorry MJ5 beat you by half a minute :handclap: Looks like George is still working at least for the moment. I like this move. Not sure how much difference it makes but seems to indicate they have seen something they want to improve their chances on.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Using TC's post from the last thread. Looked like the most up to date list for picks.

1st Rnd 10th Overall
2nd Rnd 23rd
2nd Rnd 28th
3rd Rnd 49th
4th Rnd 67th
4th Rnd 73th
4th Rnd 76th
5th Rnd ----
6th Rnd ----
7th Rnd 128th
7th Rnd 138th
8th Rnd 149th
9th Rnd 169th
10th Rnd 189th
11th Rnd 209th
12th Rnd ----
13th Rnd 249th
14th Rnd 269th
15th Rnd 289th

Updated 4/07/17

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Thank you to Ryan Moore and all our promoted players on a very good season in Flint.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
After reading your link sounds like pure speculation. More like thats who he would like not any actual knowledge that Burnett is taking the job. Is anyone even sure Burnett wants to coach again? Is Guelph so desirable that Burnett would go there when he has gotten off to such a good start building this team? I don't know Burnett at all other than the occasional run in at the arena but my general impression was that he was a standup type of guy. Does anyone else think it is likely he would exit Flint for Guelph this early in his tenure?

Burnett coached in Guelph previously. He's well aquainted with the city and team.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
1st Rnd - 10th - LW Ethan Keppen
2nd Rnd - 23rd - D Marcus Gretz
2nd Rnd - 28th - G Luke Cavallin
3rd Rnd - 49th - RW Jeff Burridge
4th Rnd 67th - D Zack Pilon
4th Rnd 73th - C Tanner McEachern
4th Rnd 76th - D Zachary Uens
7th Rnd 128th
7th Rnd 138th
8th Rnd 149th
9th Rnd 169th
10th Rnd 189th
11th Rnd 209th
13th Rnd 249th
14th Rnd 269th
15th Rnd 289th

Last edited:

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Anyone know why OHLs draft page is showing our 3rd round pick as 50 rather than 49?

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015

ok just screenshot it from your link. weird

y4mJTW1oBES4HFHDg78zMhoztmGJPhmXLxyGiOHNT_ovTyVHF6fCKhPN6WhJvsIsdn8uKWjMFjxBZ1v-AaNVMizwIgh-0hwrwzGVL7SAUIeyW6QXCRRcBwnl3fqhV4wCOispTiWB4xc04S1sfi49YF2SiW1jofKlLBZW4JwSikoSb2RabYL1BiD6nKNThik_ynvqq6PIr8aufn0jWjp0nfS3Q

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
OK browser is having a problem with the page apparently. Not sure where it is coming up with that but it stopped updating the picks to.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
What does anybody know about Luke Cavallin? He was the first goalie taken, so I'm assuming that he was probably the highest rated goalie available? He's a "full-right" goalie...those always messed with my head.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Anyone know why OHLs draft page is showing our 3rd round pick as 50 rather than 49?

Windsor's 2nd pick was confiscated for recruiting violations, therefore moving all picks up 1 spot from 50 on.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
What does anybody know about Luke Cavallin? He was the first goalie taken, so I'm assuming that he was probably the highest rated goalie available? He's a "full-right" goalie...those always messed with my head.

I know nothing, but I am glad they drafted a goalie early and got the kid most tabbed as the #1 goalie available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad