Flint Firebirds 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Durham didn't play with Dellandrea, Durham is a year older. Durham played with the Whitby Fury last year mainly in a fourth line role.

Durham signing is a questionable one IMO. He's not the strongest skater and has very...very limited offensive upside. He likes to crash and bang and play a heavy game, although the OHL game is much quicker then the OJHL in which even there he had trouble with the speed of the game.

Littlejohn is an excellent signing, big body who has great speed and skates well. Not overly physical for this size but knows how to utilize his size for many other facets of the game. Great shot, deceptively good vision. One player I really enjoyed watching last season. His biggest issue was consistency from a game to game and shift to shift bases. He can be the best player on the ice or invisible.

Forrest, main reason the Voodoos had the record they did. Great team but Forrest stole them games. Athletic as the come, great reflexes, extremely poised. Challenges shooters, hes on of tho. se goalies who battles night in and night out, never seen him let in a weak goal. Believe he was going to be North Bay's starter, big issue was his education package which Im sure Flint gave him since he signed.

Your right. Durham played with the same team that Ty Dellandrea did (Central Ontario Wolves) the year before Dellandrea, but same team.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Durham didn't play with Dellandrea, Durham is a year older. Durham played with the Whitby Fury last year mainly in a fourth line role.

Durham signing is a questionable one IMO. He's not the strongest skater and has very...very limited offensive upside. He likes to crash and bang and play a heavy game, although the OHL game is much quicker then the OJHL in which even there he had trouble with the speed of the game.

Littlejohn is an excellent signing, big body who has great speed and skates well. Not overly physical for this size but knows how to utilize his size for many other facets of the game. Great shot, deceptively good vision. One player I really enjoyed watching last season. His biggest issue was consistency from a game to game and shift to shift bases. He can be the best player on the ice or invisible.

Forrest, main reason the Voodoos had the record they did. Great team but Forrest stole them games. Athletic as the come, great reflexes, extremely poised. Challenges shooters, hes on of those goalies who battles night in and night out, never seen him let in a weak goal. Believe he was going to be North Bay's starter, big issue was his education package which Im sure Flint gave him since he signed.

Thanks for the info Macker. Always nice to get a scouts opinion on kids. Durham didn't look TOO out of place TONIGHT but the glass is a bit low, I had the kids with me and followed the puck instead of isolating on kids. Benches extend towards the blue lines too. Nilsen turned and absolutely fired one into Windsor's bench. Luckily nobody took it. So, you think Forrest is ready to be an OHL starter? I know he ripped it up with the Voodoos but I wasn't sure what the talent gap between leagues was like..... For any Flint fans that didn't make it out tonight.....The rookies all looked good. Especially Dellandrea who is going to be a star in this league soon and Busby. Kid exhibited really good vision tonight and didn't seem to place himself over his head. Kept it simple and he looked good. Menna was impressive albeit against a lower competition level. One thing about Nilsen if he's going to remain with the team. My personal opinion. I've played in a league that was over my head before too. If he's in the box or the locker room for that matter, the Birds won't notice. He should be poking, face washing, running his mouth and learning how to take anybody he can to the box with him. Can you get that guy to fight? Do it. Matching minors? Do it. He'll be more effective for this team taking a guy to the box with him. Just my thoughts on him.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
A win is a win and we will take it! With 7 rookies in our lineup and us being so young, they need all the confidence builders they can get.

Absolutely. It was probably about as big a win as you can get in preseason. Vili was there too by the way. Apparently he's staying in Flint right now. Not Mississauga. Must be the nightlife.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Absolutely. It was probably about as big a win as you can get in preseason. Vili was there too by the way. Apparently he's staying in Flint right now. Not Mississauga. Must be the nightlife.

Not sure if he's had the surgery yet..maybe the Wings want him closer

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
-Agree about Dellendrea. Seems to have a lot of tools. Even threw the body a time or too.

-Duchesne has a very nice shot from the point. Not overally hard, but a well placed shot. Best D for the night.

-Littlejohn's name is all kinds of ironic. If no one starts calling him the big steak and onion, I will.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Just tuned in to the pre game show on 1330. First test against a team with their good players playing . Our whole D core is playing tonight so we'll see how they stack up. Forwards will be tested to create offense.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Not a good effort by the Firebirds tonight! Very worrisome.

This team will have some struggles this year. Logan Brown is a beast of a player out there and on the one goal he used his body to shield the puck from Cammaano. Poor coverage from the D and forwards on two of the goals but Brown made those plays happen. Our group will struggle to score goals consistently this year. Our depth guys aren't there yet. I'm still excited to see us surprise a few teams and stick with the grind.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
One thing I noticed about Flint,they are a hard working bunch of players,they were very physical last night during their 6-1 loss at Windsor and did not give up the intensity despite being overmatched from a talent perspective.Some good looking youngsters especially To Dellandrea,Nik Caamano,Ryan Littlejohn, the Durham kid,Dueschene till he got hurt with a leg injury.It is vital they get bodies for Bitten and Keyser,perhaps Mercer too.
Team will struggle to score,do think they need a tender no doubt Menna struggled most of the night.Keep the faith Flint fans with a young coaching staff of Oulahen and Wellwood,combined with the stewardship of George Burnett
better days are ahead.
It will take some time no doubt but it starts with work ethic,they the players have it,add to the talent base and things will be fine.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
This team will have some struggles this year. Logan Brown is a beast of a player out there and on the one goal he used his body to shield the puck from Cammaano. Poor coverage from the D and forwards on two of the goals but Brown made those plays happen. Our group will struggle to score goals consistently this year. Our depth guys aren't there yet. I'm still excited to see us surprise a few teams and stick with the grind.

Where did you watch it? I know this site doesn't want you post certain links, but if it's legit I doubt I'm going to go to Saginaw. I'll just OHLive away games once the season starts. Dissapointing to hear about Duchesne and Menna. Hopefully it's nothing major for Sam. He looked really good opening night and I expect a lot out of him this season. It was good to see him and Steinocher communicating after every whistle and they switched sides for the pp and didn't miss a beat. It would be nice to see those two gel and have that kind of flexibility. Menna left little to be confident about last year but played really strong in the opening tilt at Iceland. Who the hell is Colin Walsh and where is Garrett Forrest? Wellwood said they were going forward with Menna and Forrest for now, so where's Forrest? It's preseason, what good is just having Walsh sit the bench for 60? Even EliteProspects doesn't have much info to go off of on him.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Where did you watch it? I know this site doesn't want you post certain links, but if it's legit I doubt I'm going to go to Saginaw. I'll just OHLive away games once the season starts. Dissapointing to hear about Duchesne and Menna. Hopefully it's nothing major for Sam. He looked really good opening night and I expect a lot out of him this season. It was good to see him and Steinocher communicating after every whistle and they switched sides for the pp and didn't miss a beat. It would be nice to see those two gel and have that kind of flexibility. Menna left little to be confident about last year but played really strong in the opening tilt at Iceland. Who the hell is Colin Walsh and where is Garrett Forrest? Wellwood said they were going forward with Menna and Forrest for now, so where's Forrest? It's preseason, what good is just having Walsh sit the bench for 60? Even EliteProspects doesn't have much info to go off of on him.

I listened to the broadcast on 1330. But the Windsor Spitfires website has the goal highlights that they scored. That's how I saw what happened visually. Brown made nice passes that the Firebirds D just weren't able to get sticks on. Can't blame Menna for all those. The last goal they scored Johnstone was toe dragged and Duschesne couldn't intercept the pass.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
Thanks for the info Macker. Always nice to get a scouts opinion on kids. Durham didn't look TOO out of place TONIGHT but the glass is a bit low, I had the kids with me and followed the puck instead of isolating on kids. Benches extend towards the blue lines too. Nilsen turned and absolutely fired one into Windsor's bench. Luckily nobody took it. So, you think Forrest is ready to be an OHL starter? I know he ripped it up with the Voodoos but I wasn't sure what the talent gap between leagues was like..... For any Flint fans that didn't make it out tonight.....The rookies all looked good. Especially Dellandrea who is going to be a star in this league soon and Busby. Kid exhibited really good vision tonight and didn't seem to place himself over his head. Kept it simple and he looked good. Menna was impressive albeit against a lower competition level. One thing about Nilsen if he's going to remain with the team. My personal opinion. I've played in a league that was over my head before too. If he's in the box or the locker room for that matter, the Birds won't notice. He should be poking, face washing, running his mouth and learning how to take anybody he can to the box with him. Can you get that guy to fight? Do it. Matching minors? Do it. He'll be more effective for this team taking a guy to the box with him. Just my thoughts on him.

Nilsen will not fight or mix it up too much, he's super soft. He knows himself he's in over his head playing in the OHL. He was borderline over his head playing with Little Caesars AAA.. (I believe he had the worst +/- on the team) He played for LC AAA cause TC was running the team and TC was buddies with Rolf. (Sorry off subject) I agree his only value would be in the box or the stands.

Also, all the returning players were interviewed by GM and Coaches over the summer. They were all asked what needs to change to make things feel like the situation is fixed. Every single returner said Hokan needs to be cut, simple as that. We'll see what happens

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Also, all the returning players were interviewed by GM and Coaches over the summer. They were all asked what needs to change to make things feel like the situation is fixed. Every single returner said Hokan needs to be cut, simple as that. We'll see what happens

Ok who are you and how could you possibly know this? You can't even spell the kids name right. I don't disagree with the thought that Hakon is in over his head here but you just seem determined to troll this thread beating a dead horse. I have trouble taking your posts seriously when you make outlandish unverifiable statements like that. This is all heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend troll bait. If you don't have first hand knowledge of these interviews, and I don't believe you do you shouldn't be spouting this stuff.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Ok who are you and how could you possibly know this? You can't even spell the kids name right. I don't disagree with the thought that Hakon is in over his head here but you just seem determined to troll this thread beating a dead horse. I have trouble taking your posts seriously when you make outlandish unverifiable statements like that. This is all heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend troll bait. If you don't have first hand knowledge of these interviews, and I don't believe you do you shouldn't be spouting this stuff.

Players knows best not to ask management to cut a teammate from the team, that does not happen, especially at this Junior level. These young players are training to be Pros and this would be unprofessional at the Pro level,

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

What you say has validity; however, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to suggest that if these interviews did happen and the question asked was the one stated, the answers would more than likely be what was suggested.

I can see players sticking up for their teammates but if the players have any semblance of pragmatism, the jettisoning of Hakon would be step number one of resolving the issue. Step two is the team selling.

It has been suggested the team won't sell until Hakon is gone. IF that is true, this situation won't be resolved soon, especially if Hakon remains on the team.

That being said, the OP of this line of reasoning needs to be more forthcoming about their relationship with the team, at least without naming names before their comments are validated.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I want to provide some information but I also don't want to be perceived negatively.

I do have a relationship that extends to a previous franchise of one of the new faces brought in to help right the ship in Flint. Through my contact I suggested that person was making a big mistake going to Flint based on all the crap that was going on. Apparently that person was well aware of everything but Branch assured him that the situation would change with the new management.

I was not told what the issue was but that particular person has stated that he made a mistake going to Flint.

Based on that, it is likely that the "changeover" in management is not as rosey as was presented in the offseason.

Of course this is second hand info so please take it as that.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
From the roster, this year and last - are there any NHL-drafted players who haven't been traded or demanded a trade? I can't identify any (not including Peters, who Dallas drafted, but chose not to sign).

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/nojhl/forrest-flint-via-powassan/

So that answers that. Hopefully he can transition to the O and be a solid contributor. It's still pretty dissapointing to see Keyser sitting. As far as the interviews with the players and Hakon, that was always my question. If he's good with his teammates and is just subjected to Daddy's wishes is a huge difference from his teammates don't like him and he wants/believe he deserves ice time. As far as it being the same old bs with the organization, that seems believable to me. Rolf, Costa, and TC were at the first practice and they weren't sitting with the scouts, that's for sure. I also didn't see them interacting with players families that were there. Maybe they did, but I didn't see it. At the first preseason game I saw Rolf and he still had TC following right behind him. I also think there's a difference between throwing one of your teammates under the bus and this situation. If that's what happened.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort

I apologize for the misspelling, I have it spelled that way in my contacts and it switches automatically. My fault and I'll be sure to remember that we have grammar nazi on the board.. With that being said, it's not a friend of a friend of a friend situation at all. You will never know who I am, ******* move...probably but I guarantee you cannot find one thing I say incorrect. (I'll wait while you're checking...) I do have first hand knowledge of these interviews and what I said is 100% true. I know last years team very well so take my info or leave it. Doesn't matter to me. However it's sad that you need to know who I am before you can trust what I'm "spouting". What's your background and how do you know so much? Oh ok..
I'm also not trying to troll this board at all. Just trying to give some first hand input for some super fans Sorry if you don't like it!

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/nojhl/forrest-flint-via-powassan/

So that answers that. Hopefully he can transition to the O and be a solid contributor. It's still pretty dissapointing to see Keyser sitting. As far as the interviews with the players and Hakon, that was always my question. If he's good with his teammates and is just subjected to Daddy's wishes is a huge difference from his teammates don't like him and he wants/believe he deserves ice time. As far as it being the same old bs with the organization, that seems believable to me. Rolf, Costa, and TC were at the first practice and they weren't sitting with the scouts, that's for sure. I also didn't see them interacting with players families that were there. Maybe they did, but I didn't see it. At the first preseason game I saw Rolf and he still had TC following right behind him. I also think there's a difference between throwing one of your teammates under the bus and this situation. If that's what happened.

I also think Savard18 always makes good reasonable points and seems to know the situation well. Your post are always good to read.

The boys read this board on a daily basis too, just so everyone on here knows. They appreciate the support boys

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
We do support these boys and I think they know this. There is a saying believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see. I don't think anyone here cares if you are an agent, a scout, a parent or whatever (and I am sure you are one of the three), but you should come clean. Wanting to hide your identity does raise some red flags, when you continue to say you know the truth. Savard18 has some good points and tries to see all sides, but does not challenge you like some others do and there is nothing wrong with that. No question in my mind Hakon needs to be released and the franchise sold as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad