Speculation: Fleury might move if Wild won’t make playoffs

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007

Lebrun mentions 3 teams. Not what I expected

“If Minnesota is out of it Fleury could look at 2-3 teams and among those options, I’m told, are Carolina, Toronto and Colorado”

Really?!?

Codez

Feb 1, 2023
Looking for ratings...aka click bait !!!

They always throw out this crap, seeing if it would stick.

Reactions: lawrence

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I remember Friedman and Marek brought up LA as a possibility as well, I think that was on one of their podcasts in January.

I find it very unlikely Toronto would be the option. Colorado, Carolina, and even LA are closer to being "a goalie away" from a cup.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Could very well see him being moved. With all the Devils/Markstrom talk why don’t they just go get Flower and call it a day. Fleury would look sick in Brodeur colors.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I see a lot of question marks around Fleury. Namely his age and current season stats. Historically he has been extremely hit or miss in the playoffs. You’re either getting a elite dialed in goalie or beginning of the seasons Samsonov

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
His GSAx is bottom third in the league. Then again, so is Gus. Both were above average last year. Wild have Brodin and Faber but not much else on that blueline. How much of this is team driven and how much of it is Flower is just old and at the cliff’s edge (and Gus maybe being a one-hit wonder)?

Does Fleury really have enough left in the tank to be “the man” for a true contender or would an acquiring team simply be hoping against hope to catch lightning in a bottle for one last crack at the apple?

Edit: Interesting...if you break down Flower's situational GSAx this year, he's still well above average during 5v5 play. He just gets absolutely massacred when the team is short-handed, like bottom 5 in the NHL bad. Gus is the opposite...above average results (top 10 in the league) when the team is short-handed but quite literally the worst starting goalie in the league this year in even-strength GSAx. It's really interesting that this is all occurring on the same team, behind the same defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I dont think a team would be trading for him to be the guy, but insurance and leadership for a cup run. MAF is a treasure, I am sure the Wild will do whats best for him if they are not playoff bound.

Reactions: rynryn

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
His GSAx is bottom third in the league. Then again, so is Gus. Both were above average last year. Wild have Brodin and Faber but not much else on that blueline. How much of this is team driven and how much of it is Flower is just old and at the cliff’s edge (and Gus maybe being a one-hit wonder)?

Does Fleury really have enough left in the tank to be “the man” for a true contender or would an acquiring team simply be hoping against hope to catch lightning in a bottle for one last crack at the apple?

Edit: Interesting...if you break down Flower's situational GSAx this year, he's still well above average during 5v5 play. He just gets absolutely massacred when the team is short-handed, like bottom 5 in the NHL bad. Gus is the opposite...above average results (top 10 in the league) when the team is short-handed but quite literally the worst starting goalie in the league this year in even-strength GSAx. It's really interesting that this is all occurring on the same team, behind the same defense.
The PK was all time record breaking bad levels for the first month, key injuries to our best defensive players, other guys playing through injuries just to ice a roster, and frankly just bad puck luck contributed to that.

Fleury has been good this year IMO and I am not much of a fan generally, he has been steadier than he was each of the two previous seasons, though he had good stretches there too. It’s a tale of two coins for the Wild, we have 2 high caliber defensive D men, whatever Middleton is, and then 3-4 guys that do not even belong in the league they are so bad. Mermis, Merrill and Goligoski have an extremely outsized impact on the goals against this year, some atrocious stuff out of that group makes the numbers go all over the board.

He is better than Talbot, I can pretty definitively say that, but I still wouldn’t really trust him to carry a series. He would be acquired as a backup, and MN would only sell when they are fully out of it, which frankly seems unlikely to resolve soon.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If he ends up in LA will Talbot and his agent whine themselves out of town like they did in Minnesota when Fleury was there with him?

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If he ends up in LA will Talbot and his agent whine themselves out of town like they did in Minnesota when Fleury was there with him?
Talbot losing the net to Dave f***ing Rittich doesn't really give him a leg to stand on in this instance.

But shit would it be funny to see that happen.

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
I dont think a team would be trading for him to be the guy, but insurance and leadership for a cup run. MAF is a treasure, I am sure the Wild will do whats best for him if they are not playoff bound.
I dont think Fleury is going to accept a trade somewhere just to be their backup. The local talking heads (the ones with actual inside info) in MN were just talking about it and sense is that if he goes anywhere its to at least be in a 1A/1B situation like he's in now. They dont think he'd leave his family just to tag along with some team in the background as their backup. Cup contender or not, if this is his last year playing he doesnt want to go out as the backup - goalies have pride about this sort of thing.

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
I would welcome him to the Avs with open arms. That infectious smile and personality is what the Avs need imo. And, I don’t really have faith that Georgiev is the one to take us deep. Split some of the load in the post season might be a great idea.

Also, I want a few hockey cards with Fleury in Av colors

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3