Speculation: Flat Cap Casualties?

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I don’t think you know how compliance buyouts worked when they were available
I'm sorry does buying out Steen and or another player not cover the needed 3 million for petro. You do realize blues have both of their buy outs and the blues have money to perform these buy outs. What am I missing please do explain.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Would that really work though? Detroit really isn't in need of Killorn since they won't be competing the next few years. But they could always trade for him in they get a good price, say two 3rd's, then flip him for a 2nd + 3rd type deal. Kinda like how San Jose traded for Hoffman just to flip him to Florida because they got better value than they gave up.

Hoffman is a strange analogy, since he was flipped because Ottawa didn't want to move Hoffman in division. In Killorn's situation, the trade protection doesn't disappear.

And if Killorn wants to stay, he'd probably be more focused on teams that can't or wouldn't want to have him at that contract without similar salary going the other way.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Toronto is in better shape than I thought.

Forget Barrie staying, but if Dubas wants to duct tape it this year, exiling Kerfoot would just about do it.
People seem to keep forgetting that they will need cap space to extend there young players and also a bit more cap space in case of injuries. Also who is taking Kerfoots contract without sending any cap space back to you guys? We are all having to deal with a flat cap so you would really need to sweeten the pot for a team to take Kerfoot. Then that would extend to what do the leafs realisticly have as a sweetener? more 1st round draft picks? I don't think thats a good idea. A young prospect? nope you will need them to fill out your team since you guys are so top heavy and tied up over 50m in cap space in just forwards. Also throw into the mix this flat cap isn't just for one year its for multiple seasons so now you have to build a team without any extra cushion for the next I am guessing 3 seasons?

I guess what I am getting at is teams are going to be very picky on how much cap space is coming back and for how long because every team has been using the rising cap each season as a crutch and now they can't anymore.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I'm sorry does buying out Steen and or another player not cover the needed 3 million for petro. You do realize blues have both of their buy outs and the blues have money to perform these buy outs. What am I missing please do explain.

the final compliance buyout period ended June 30, 2014. No team can perform a compliance buyout.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Unless the Avs can get Haula cheap on a 1-2 year deal, I can see us taking Stastny with very little or no compensation. Plus I imagine Detroit is on Staz's 10 team NTC.

That would be interesting with the Avs having Bowers. Pretty much every fan loves Pauly, I wonder if a JT compher for Stastny swap could make sense.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
People seem to keep forgetting that they will need cap space to extend there young players and also a bit more cap space in case of injuries. Also who is taking Kerfoots contract without sending any cap space back to you guys? We are all having to deal with a flat cap so you would really need to sweeten the pot for a team to take Kerfoot.
Oh I'd pay to get rid of Kerfoot.;)

It's not great, but it isn't dire. 3.6 Roentgens.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That would be interesting with the Avs having Bowers. Pretty much every fan loves Pauly, I wonder if a JT compher for Stastny swap could make sense.
Compher makes $3.5M so he would be a bit pricey for a team looking to clear space. He's the Avs fan consensus for ending up in Seattle.

Jost should clock in at $2M which would be ok for a roster filler. If he keeps up his good play from after the deadline he should be a decent chit.

Kaut is only making $894K for the next two seasons and didn't look out of place in his call up. Decent player to fill a forward slot.

Anyway a year of Stastny would give Bowers another year to round out in the AHL, which most of us would be on board with.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Oh I'd pay to get rid of Kerfoot.

It's not great, but it isn't dire. 3.6 Roentgens.
Question is what is the payment? 3.6m for 3 more seasons you guys willing to attach a first round pick? because thats what it would take considering the length of that contract and the flat cap situation.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Question is what is the payment? 3.6m for 3 more seasons you guys willing to attach a first round pick? because thats what it would take considering the length of that contract and the flat cap situation.
Not a Toronto fan.

For $3.6M I think a 2nd+ could do it and move Kerfoot to his ideal role of Top 6 roster filler on a bad team.

Holding the fort for a season will give TO the oppostunity to get some more breathing room next year with Seattle and it's not like Dubas is playing the long game at this point.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Compher makes $3.5M so he would be a bit pricey for a team looking to clear space. He's the Avs fan consensus for ending up in Seattle.

Jost should clock in at $2M which would be ok for a roster filler. If he keeps up his good play from after the deadline he should be a decent chit.

Kaut is only making $894K for the next two seasons and didn't look out of place in his call up. Decent player to fill a forward slot.

Anyway a year of Stastny would give Bowers another year to round out in the AHL, which most of us would be on board with.

I could see the Avs bringing walnuts back as an option that would be quite popular. Its always possible that SEA takes him but with some of the other options that are there I would personally be surprised. The Avs don't have too many bad contracts but looking over their books, being able to move his deal could prove beneficial in the long run.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I could see the Avs bringing walnuts back as an option that would be quite popular. Its always possible that SEA takes him but with some of the other options that are there I would personally be surprised. The Avs don't have too many bad contracts but looking over their books, being able to move his deal could prove beneficial in the long run.
If you mean Stastny, he's only got a year on his deal so doesn't figure in the Expansion draft.

For the Avalanche, if they get Eric Johnson to waive (which it should either be that or buy him out if he doesn't agree). they can protect 7 forwards which would be Mackinnon, Lando, Rantanen, Kadri, Burakovsky, and two of Nuke, Donskoi and Compher. I think the odd man out there would be the pick. If the Avalanche acquire another forward this offseason it would probably be two out of those three,

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If you mean Stastny, he's only got a year on his deal so doesn't figure in the Expansion draft.

For the Avalanche, if they get Eric Johnson to waive (which it should either be that or buy him out if he doesn't agree). they can protect 7 forwards which would be Mackinnon, Lando, Rantanen, Kadri, Burakovsky, and two of Nuke, Donskoi and Compher. I think the odd man out there would be the pick. If the Avalanche acquire another forward this offseason it would probably be two out of those three,

I think Sea would take someone like Franc, Graves or even Jost over JT.

The idea is mostly about helping VGK this offseason and the Avs get a contract off the books that could cause issues in 3-4 years. I am assuming it would need some work and more input from someone who understands VGKs long term cap concerns but I think its at least interesting.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think Sea would take someone like Franc, Graves or even Jost over JT.
Grubauer is set to expire that off season, so as contracts stand no Franc is the only one needing protect. Both on the roster...

Graves would be an obvious pick, BUT if EJ waives or gets bought out the Avalanche can go with the 7/3/1 scheme and protect Makar, Girarad and Graves.

Jost I could see being Seattle's pick...if he's still around.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Grubauer is set to expire that off season, so as contracts stand no Franc is the only one needing protect. Both on the roster...

Graves would be an obvious pick, BUT if EJ waives or gets bought out the Avalanche can go with the 7/3/1 scheme and protect Makar, Girarad and Graves.

Jost I could see being Seattle's pick...if he's still around.

I guess its possible the Avs let Grubauer walk but I would be surprised quite frankly if he wasn't extended before that point. With goalies you never know but idk if I would personally count on that. Every single report in the matter has lead me to believe that both will still need protection. Should this case happen though then good on you for catching it.

ED's change all the way up to the date, and while it is possible I think it would be in Col's best interests to have a contingency plan for if Compher is or isn't taken as shedding some of the more expensive bottom 6 players for ELC's seems like it will be a necessity in the flat cap world.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Also who is taking Kerfoots contract without sending any cap space back to you guys? We are all having to deal with a flat cap so you would really need to sweeten the pot for a team to take Kerfoot. .

A team with cap space could trade picks for Kerfoot. There are a few teams with cap space. Having said, those with cap space will probably have quite a few offers coming their way. We might not get what we'd expect to get under more normal circumstances - not a popular notion in the nation of course.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I guess its possible the Avs let Grubauer walk but I would be surprised quite frankly if he wasn't extended before that point. With goalies you never know but idk if I would personally count on that. Every single report in the matter has lead me to believe that both will still need protection. Should this case happen though then good on you for catching it.
Sakic might take his chance signing Gru after the draft, Franc could win the job from him, Justus might look like a total stud.

Dropping $3.5 to $3.9 in salary would be a nice bit of room.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think UFA back up goalies are going to feel the pinch. Any team close to the cap will probably run with a guy making $1 million as the back up, especially in a 50 game season.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

What would it cost of for the Habs to move Drouins 5.5 million for 4 seasons? Comparable Even strength production over the last 3 seasons.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
What would it cost of for the Habs to move Drouins 5.5 million for 4 seasons? Comparable Even strength production over the last 3 seasons.
Not comparable at all considering one team needs cap space and the other has cap space to spare and isn't competing. Also this play in round means nothing to me as its just a weird anomaly because of the pandemic.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not comparable at all considering one team needs cap space and the other has cap space to spare and isn't competing.

But if the Habs did need cap-space Drouin would be a massive anchor of a contract to move, not a valuable asset?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
But if the Habs did need cap-space Drouin would be a massive anchor of a contract to move, not a valuable asset?

It depends on the perspective. I don't particularly like Drouin's contract for what he brings, but I suspect that Bergevin is probably higher on him than most people here.

I don't think, in the unlikely event that Montreal actually needs cap space, that Drouin would be a guy they'd want to move.

And I'm really struggling to see any realistic scenario where Montreal (a) needs cap space; and (b) decides that moving Drouin is the right move. If Montreal moves Drouin, it'll be hockey move, not a cap move.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
The habs dont need cap space though so its a moot point. I already said my reasons why it would take a first round pick to move that 3.6m per year contract for 3 more seasons as Marleau it took the leafs a first just to move 6.2m for ONE season and there wasn't a pandemic to worry about. I never said his contract was an anchor either its just the way it is right now.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The habs dont need cap space though so its a moot point. I already said my reasons why it would take a first round pick to move that 3.6m per year contract for 3 more seasons as Marleau it took the leafs a first just to move 6.2m for ONE season and there wasn't a pandemic to worry about. I never said his contract was an anchor either its just the way it is right now.

Marleau was moving a 6.25 million dollar cap hit and 4m dollars cash for no on ice value as he had to be bought out.

Kerfoot is moving a 2 position top 9 player that's good for 35-45 points with a 3.5 million dollar cap hit and 2.7m cash.

The only connection between those to situations is the team doing the trading.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And I'm really struggling to see any realistic scenario where Montreal (a) needs cap space; and (b) decides that moving Drouin is the right move. If Montreal moves Drouin, it'll be hockey move, not a cap move.

The point I was making is that they're comparable even strength producers, one comes with a significantly higher price tag. If Kerfoot takes a 1st to move (he doesn't) then Drouin is an absolute albatross regardless of what kind of move/motivation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad