GDT: Flaming Bears: Bruins (4-1-0) @ Flames(3-2-0) 7:30PM MT (SN360, FAN960)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This argument about who's more or less irreplaceable is one of the silliest arguments I've seen for a while. Seriously, we just beat the Bruins 5-2 and THIS is what you want to argue about? Sometimes people on here just aren't happy unless they're fighting about something, anything, no matter how stupid.

This board has some toxicity to it, without a shadow of a doubt. So much so, normally I'd jump in with my thoughts, but I'll instead let the same posters just run in circles chasing their tails :laugh:

We could win a cup and some posters would be like:

"f*** that, Monahan was the best player on that cup winning team."
"Nuh uh, Gaudreau was the best player on that cup winning team."
"You morons are both wrong, it was Mike Smith."
"All of you idiots are wrong, it was Mark Giordano!"
"Guys, relax, without Chucky this team doesn't have the balls to make it this deep."
"Forget just Chuck! That 3M/MMA line was the reason we were even competitive!"

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
This board has some toxicity to it, without a shadow of a doubt. So much so, normally I'd jump in with my thoughts, but I'll instead let the same posters just run in circles chasing their tails :laugh:

"**** that, Monahan was the best player on that cup winning team."
"Guys, relax, without Chucky this team doesn't have the balls to make it this deep."

It was definitely Gio. Don’t @ me

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This team would be in seriously trouble without Gaudreau or Smith. Arguing which one is pretty pedantic. One is our leading scorer and one is our starting goalie.

This team is firing on all cylinders.
They need everyone in right now.

They need Gaudreau scoring PPG+
They need Monahan scoring goals.
They need Lindholm scoring and playing both ends.
They need Backlund dominating matchups.
They need Tkachuk to continue being an elite player.
They need Frolik to keep that energy and be that two-way stud he's been since he's got here.
They need Bennett to keep up his torrid pace and continue to progress.
They need Neal to keep his creativity up, because he's an important part of the top 9.
They need Ryan to keep his solid two-way play up.
They need Giordano and Brodie to stay a top pairing.
They need Hanifin to continue proving he's a 1D that people are sleeping on.
They need Andersson to continue developing into a stud top 4D
They need Valimaki to continue to progress as he has been.
They need Smith to play like a solid starting goalie.
They need Rittich to come in and play like a great backup.

Right now we have all the pieces to be a really, really, really solid team. And the fact there are posters that want to bicker about who's more important to the team... they're all important. Without Gaudreau, you lose your offensive cog and you entire depth shifts up one spot. Without Smith you lose your starting goalie and have a guy who struggled doing it last year give it another go. You lose Monahan, you're moving Lindholm to the middle and losing both your 1C and your 1RW at the same time.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

"**** that, Monahan was the best player on that cup winning team."

What the crap is this post? You and I both know the Flames don’t win anything without Selke Smooth Backlund.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Good win for u guys last night. Just curious, how long is Dube out for you guys and do they plan on keeping him up? I have him in my hockey pool

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Good win for u guys last night. Just curious, how long is Dube out for you guys and do they plan on keeping him up? I have him in my hockey pool

He’s day-to-day right now. Hopefully you aren’t counting on him for a lot of points. If he stays up all season, I’d be super happy if he got 30pts. Some on this board including myself think there’s a decent chance he will be sent down to the A for a decent stretch.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I think he'll play tomorrow.
I hope he does. At 20 years old he's already a superior option at 3C over Jankowski.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He’s day-to-day right now. Hopefully you aren’t counting on him for a lot of points. If he stays up all season, I’d be super happy if he got 30pts. Some on this board including myself think there’s a decent chance he will be sent down to the A for a decent stretch.

He was my last pick. I really liked him in pre-season. I thought he would be a lock

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He was my last pick. I really liked him in pre-season. I thought he would be a lock

I honestly think he can be a similar Kyle Connor, with slightly less upside. I don’t see why he can’t be a 50-55pt player with burning speed and great possession skills. But I don’t think he’s quite ready for a prominent role this year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just watching Peters' post-game, and he said "you know, we're not going to just keep doing the same thing if it's not working" with regards to the PP.

Is that kind of radical thinking even legal?

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I honestly think he can be a similar Kyle Connor, with slightly less upside. I don’t see why he can’t be a 50-55pt player with burning speed and great possession skills. But I don’t think he’s quite ready for a prominent role this year.
Well that would really help u guys.

I’m not one of the Oiler fans that wish any bad on you guys . I’m from NS and just arrived in Edmonton yesterday for some games. I desperately want our teams to return to the 80’s playoffs . That was the Stanley Cup. Whoever survived those wars won the cup. Good luck Calgary

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Just watching Peters' post-game, and he said "you know, we're not going to just keep doing the same thing if it's not working" with regards to the PP.

tenor.gif

I barely need an excuse to post a Star Wars gif, but you really threw a softie

While I'm sure you got plenty of ribbing Rubi, I am still amused. I think you pissed Frolik off lol.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think you over estimate the effect that having a designated goon on your team has. Most nights said goon is in the press box eating popcorn because they generally suck at playing hockey so they aren't around to protect the "star" anyways.

I never said we needed a goon, I said that the players we have currently need to learn to back Gaudreau up a little more.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I never said we needed a goon, I said that the players we have currently need to learn to back Gaudreau up a little more.

I mean they did jump right in on the knee on knee stuff. The McAvoy stuff was a little trickier with it being a breakaway, but it seems like they were already giving McAvoy a rough ride after the Hathaway stick to thef ace.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I mean they did jump right in on the knee on knee stuff. The McAvoy stuff was a little trickier with it being a breakaway, but it seems like they were already giving McAvoy a rough ride after the Hathaway stick to thef ace.

The pushback after the knee was a welcome change but I would've wanted the same response plus some after the McAvoy hit. In general though, I don't think the team does an adequate job of responding after Johnny is pushed around, slashed, etc and it's been that way throughout his career.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Is Jankowski not working out? I remember they kinda went off the board to draft him

He's working out, in terms of what he is.
Right now he's best suited to be a 4th line centre that is defensively capable, and has some offensive upside. When you slot him between Bennett and Neal is lowers their stock because he's just not fast, creative or smart enough to play with those guys.

Essentially you have Bennett and Neal who'd be a decent second line duo on most teams in the NHL, and you kind of drag them down with Janko. Dube plays with so much speed and creativity he brings elements to that line that really help both players out.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

No. That kind of talk can get you fired.
Bring back Gully! Bring back Gully!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ok. I concur then. I was a bit surprised we didnt see Hathaway out there looking for McAvoy but then again it was only 4-2 and the Bruins were playing well and no sense giving them a penalty opportunity to get back in the game. If the score had been 5-2 at the time it might have been a different story.

Edit: After reviewing this particular play this morning, I can't take fault with any of the Flames players lack of action. Johnny was in alone.... completely alone as there wasn't a Flame player anywhere in the zone. All any Flame player on the ice would have seen was McAvoy's back when he collided with Gaudreau. We at home have the advantage of multiple replays and different camera angles to see EXACTLY what happened. The players on the ice don't. Nope.. don't fault the Flames players lack of reaction at all. Tough to react to something that you don't see.

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think a big part of our success has been Lindholm's ability to dig the puck out of the corners and along the boards. Elias seems to always be coming away with the puck where as last year it would be lost possession 80% of the time.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Fro isn’t going to keep up that scoring pace that he did from last night. But I like what Peters is doing. Fro is actually quite skilled and is capable of scoring a lot more than he does. But he focuses most of his energy on being a good defensive player. Peters I think, is going to get him to try to score more. I like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad