Low Effort GDT Flames vs. Sens (home), 1 p.m. (Playing live from your TV, Radio, or Internet Device)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It wasn't much of a shot lol. Norris deserves most of the blame, but it was a shot he could have saved.

Are we talking about this goal?

Have you ever faced that type of situation as a goalie? Look at the location where Norris turn the puck over and how fast Elias was able to get his shot off. Obviously Murray wasn't ready. That happened to me several times before (beer/amateur leagues) but eventually you get used to it and expect your defense to screw up.

However, this is the NHL and even if you somehow expect it, goaltending is very technical and the mechanicals to stop a shot can be very different depending on the situation. Example, if you get in butterfly too quickly it opens up other holes in the net, that's why you have to be able to "read the play" to anticipate the type of shot that is coming from "where to where". A situation like this is even harder than a team making that shot from cycling the puck because you had zero time to anticipate the play

It's really not as easy as it looks :laugh:

Uh, yeah? Defense definitely didn't help, but the first goal was from a slow saucer pass (where the shooter wasn't a threat) and you know where it's going. He had time to set up and is still too slow to get in position and lets a weak (albeit quick) shot go by.

Second one he was too deep in his net which allows a little flip shot get by. If he was in proper position for both spots, neither should have gone in, regardless of the bad defense. Murray has had some good games but he obviously has some fundamental issues (also see 3rd goal).

Where the shooter wasn't a threat? lol what? If right in the middle of the slot is not a prime scoring area I don't know what to tell you... You can find maps that shows you exactly from where the goals were scored.

Flames vs. Senators - Play-By-Play - February 27, 2021 - ESPN

Look at how easy it was to come from his zone and how much time and space Gaudreau (one of the best playmakers in the NHL) had to set up the play. That's where your problem is, and also coverage in the area where Valimaki was. If a one-timer right from the slot is a bad goal given, then 99% of goals in the NHL are bad goals. This goal is NOT on Murray at all, not even 1%.

The 2nd goal yes Murray was deep in his net which doesn't allow him to cut the angle. But look at the replay again. First, look at how many Sens get beat on the backcheck creating a 3 on 2 situation. Then Gudbranson falls over by himself which creates even more time and space for these NHLers to create a scoring chance. Backlund makes a quick snapshot well located that beats the goalie. In hindsight, yes Murray should have come out to cut off the angle but keep in mind that if you do that you leave the net open for an easy tap in on the backdoor play. A goalie like Lundqvist made a career of staying deep in his net. Murray has some similarities with him.

All that being said, Murray had no choice to be in that position because no one is able to cover the forward in the back, he wants to have a chance to stop a one-timer if Backlund decided to make that play. Too many options for the Flames! It was like an all-you can eat buffet in the Sens zone. Horrific game defensively for the whole team. I rarely seen it this bad in the NHL.

If I have one critic for Murray is that he is NOT enough expecting this defense to screw up. Personally, I would know by now that you have to be ready at any moment because the amount of really bad turnovers in the most dangerous areas of the ice is astounding. At the same time, getting "too nervous" is not necessarily a good thing, it can amke you overreact on plays and get you out of position. Really not easy to play behind that kind of defense.

Anyway, that 2nd goal is maybe the only goal that you should/could expect the goalie to save. On all the other goals he was totally left out to dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSF

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Tkachuk - Norris - Brown line is just not working as a 1st line

Tkachuk - L. Brown - Dzingle

Move Norris between Stu and Bath (1b line)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Oh well.

middleaged-man-wearing-a-sweater-is-shrugging-his-shoulders-vector-id915937622

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Can't complain too much. Sucks that the winning streak is over.

The Flames understandably had an insane amount of desperation to start the game and we couldn't weather the storm well enough. We pushed back pretty well, but it wasn't enough.

Reactions: aragorn

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Tough start. Some bad habits carried over from last game. Liked the way they closed it out. We’re playing a little too loose after going up a couple of goals last game. It’s nice that players were feeling good, but they got too comfortable. 3rd period was an improvement even if Calgary backed off a little.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Only saw the 1st. Took me 2 hours to drive a usual 45-50 min trip lol.

Pissed I missed Daccord.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Norris going for the spaz award on that last rush on the 4 on 4
He does get into a certain mood lol. I find it happen a lot of the pp. he will just starting worsting the puck which is usually just smothered by the goalie. If he was a bit more patient pp2 would be a little better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad