GDT: Flames vs. Red Wings - Saturday matinee (2 p.m. MT/Sportsnet 1, 9PM GMT, 11PM EET)

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
How do you go 38 shots on net with a 5-0 result. Insanity. I will say I think the forwards didn't score from lack of trying, and the giveaways weren't nearly as bad as the ones last game... but the bar is in hell.

I feel bad for Dustin Wolf for all the trash certain "fans" have piled on him on social media. Markstrom hasn't done any better today.

Wolf is still the real deal. Hope the Flames do the right thing and hand over the reigns to Wolfy next season.
I actually disagree with the decision to recall him. Would have liked to see him continue backing up Markstrom this year. At this point he has nothing to gain playing in the AHL. He needs to get used to NHL speed and that only comes with more games.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Had more fun at my last colonoscopy.

8dn4eu.gif

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I feel bad for Dustin Wolf for all the trash certain "fans" have piled on him on social media. Markstrom hasn't done any better today.

Wolf is still the real deal. Hope the Flames do the right thing and hand over the reigns to Wolfy next season.
If he is the real deal, why he hasn't showed it? He has had a few opportunities this season- I saw all his outings and he has looked below average and 2 inch tall in the net.

Facts.

Will he get better? I bloody hope so. Do I believe it? No, as he hasn't shown any reason to.

Also trade 88, I am done with him. We need pieces.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
If he is the real deal, why he hasn't showed it? He has had a few opportunities this season- I saw all his outings and he has looked below average and 2 inch tall in the net.

Facts.

Will he get better? I bloody hope so. Do I believe it? No, as he hasn't shown any reason to.

I disagree he's looked bad in all his outings. Yeah, his sv% wasn't great, and im not gonna claim he was phenomemal or anything, but he got most of his starts when the team in general wasn't playing great. I remember thinking there weren't many goals you could fault him for in his earlier starts.

Also, gotta remember the majority of goalies arent even playing in the NHL at his age. Markstrom for a time also looked pretty mediocre before turning it around at 26, and that was through a much larger sample size than Wolf's NHL career. He still has a lot of time to figure it out, and has a significantly larger sample size of playing great in every league he's settled into.

We'll probably agree to disagree though but I get your skepticism. The one thing we can agree on though is we all want him to succeed.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Facts.

You were one of the culprits

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Reimer was a beast and marky was off tonight. No finish either which didn’t help.

Oh well. Sucks to suck. Excited for more trades!

Reactions: Boomstick

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Facts.

Dude's played 6 NHL games and you've seemingly already written him off.

He is back to back AHL MVP, he has shown plenty of reason to not doubt him.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Dude's played 6 NHL games and you've seemingly already written him off.

He is back to back AHL MVP, he has shown plenty of reason to not doubt him.

He’s honestly earned like two full seasons of getting 30-40 starts to see if he figures it out lol

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He’s honestly earned like two full seasons of getting 30-40 starts to see if he figures it out lol
I wouldn't go that far. He's earned an NHL job, he's going to have to show out to earn more starts. Which I fully believe he can do.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You were one of the culprits
He’s had 1 bad game. He also got roasted for the Vegas game despite facing like 20 high dangers in that game. Fans will overlook the 3 seasons he dominated in the minors because fans don’t actually watch these games and haven’t seen how dominant he truly is. Flames fans are the king of hot takes that are terrible. In his 6 games he’s had 3 maybe 4 goals he should have had. He’s still adjusting to the league. It’s obnoxious.

Reactions: Fantomas

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Facts.

He’s the second youngest goalie in the league, he isn’t supposed to be good yet. Anyone who expected him to walk in and dominate at his age weren’t setting realistic expectations for him. As far as goalies go he’s the equivalent of an 18/19 year old forward or defenseman. His fellow top goalie prospect Levi and only comparable in age also authored an .891 save percentage and 3.30 goals against before getting another year in the AHL.

If he hasn’t made large strides by 25/26 that’s when we should start to have questions.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Everything else was pretty g, thx for asking. And ngl it’s not the worst for the flames to be forced into a direction.
I just want it to happen organically. I understand hockey trades, I get asset management, and I get trades where we can't say no. I just don't want us dumping guys with term for mediocre returns.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Re Wolf
I am not impressed so far, have not noticed flashes of NHL basics, he looks smaller than he is, he is not a good communicator, his stick interception and handling of puck reminds me of handling a hot potato. He goes down on his knees too soon and often, leaving a ton of cheddar above his shoulders,he plays too deep when he knows he shouldn't as it's again his metrics. I am hearing he is super athletic and yet he has not shown it or pin point me to such moment and I will review it.

I am fine with all your opposite views re Wolf, you can call me a culprit. If I have to stand corrected, that's fine and I will accept it- I am a big boy. But I won't change my view until I see something palpable and if you have seen it in his NHL stints- well done to you and I am pleased for you, seems you are fine with his so far evolution and in your eyes, it's what one should expect from a future elite NHL goalie. In the end of the day, he showed he is a star...in the AHL.

Last edited:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I was at this game, took a day off work to see it, and honestly, kind of wish I worked instead. It was made worse by the guy sitting behind my friend and I. Dude was legit shaming his like 4 year old daughter for not cheering as loud as another like 4-5 year old boy in the same section, and followed it up by calling her "not a real fan" because she was sad and bored that her favourite team (the Flames) was losing, while telling her he was never gonna bring her to see a hockey game again. Dude was a dick. Also, same dude started cheering for Detroit halfway through because "at least Reimer is playing good" followed by claiming Reimer was only making saves because he was using "larger than league regulation pads".

Marky looked like he just gave up tonight, Vlad looked pretty solid though. A lot of the forwards looked checked out as well. Was honestly torn between wanting Pospisil benched for taking too many penalties, and giving him ALL the ice time for being consistently one of the only guys who seemed to give a crap out there.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I would bring up Coronato and play him next to Backlund & Coleman.

When Pelletier is back- play Pelletier- Rooney- Mangi.

Duehr and Other tried AHLers on that line don't belong to NHL.

First 3 lines are overplayed, we lack balance.

Last edited:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
It is obviously early to make any definitive statements about Wolf either way but in the SJ game you could see how small he was and that certainly played a role in the goals that they scored. Doesn't mean he can adjust or that it wasn't just a bad game but you would be crazy not say that it was a bit concerning to see his biggest weakness exposed so obviously.

Hopefully it was just a one off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad