GDT: Flames vs Rangers, 7:00 PM, MST. Sportsnet West, Fan 960

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The positive is that now we know our goaltending prospect depth is a myth....let's move on and find a real goalie before Smith is done.

Our NHL-level goaltending depth was never vaunted. It's prospect depth that we had. Neither of these guys was supposed to even be the backup this year, let alone a starter.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
We need some more talent, because we have heart. Wait no.

We need some more heart, because we have no talent. Wait no.

We need some more heart AND talent. Easy.

Jags68

Oct 16, 2017
Remember when The Wizard signed brouwer to the second worst contract in the conference, then said hes worried about goalscoring so he traded a lottery pick for friggin hamonic and picked up chris stewart?

Good times.

Chris Stewart pick up isn’t a big deal.

The Hamonic trade and Brouwer signing doesn’t look good.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is that on Dougie for not covering the middle, or for Gio for the slow change? Honest question.
I meant in general, not on the goal in particular. Every time they make a stretch pass, the guy has time to turn and get skating.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Our NHL-level goaltending depth was never vaunted. It's prospect depth that we had. Neither of these guys was supposed to even be the backup this year, let alone a starter.

Maybe but you honestly trust these two clowns moving forward? Gillies is 24, he is not 19

And Rittich is 25

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Coaching and absolutely NO forward depth.

Outside of a 2 week stretch the bottom 6 hasn't contributed anything for 5+ months other than 1 goal a month. Frolik is having a down year and Backlund's goal scoring has hit a bit of a wall this season. And Gulutzan refuses to let one of the best offensive d cores in the league step up and play offense.

How the hell are the Flames supposed to win with 5 good forwards and the worst coach in the league?

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
90% of the league have crappy backups or guys who arent ready.

Where are the guys being paid big bucks to be game changers?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Right, but they're goalies, not skaters. Kiprusoff was basically this until he joined the Flames, right?

Well maybe Kipper is not the norm?

And he showed potential in the NHL before he joined the Flames. I see nothing in Gillies that shows he is capable other than being big

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Holy f*** since I started watching I've seen the Rangers hit three posts, Gillies make an unbelievable save on a 2 on 1, Spooner breakaway goal, about 3 other odd man rushes/breakaway chances and Tanner Glass in the lineup again. I'm embarassed and I haven't even gotten drunk tonight (yet).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well maybe Kipper is not the norm?

And he showed potential in the NHL before he joined the Flames. I see nothing in Gillies that shows he is capable other than being big
Gillies had plenty of pedigree. He was considered a top prospect.

I dunno. I think Gillies looks like a guy whose biggest problem is lack of experience. He seems to be trying to do too much. It's what leads to the bad goals. Once they gain experience, they start trusting themselves a little more and making better decisions. He does make saves that prove he has no shortage of talent.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Johnny gets an embelishment calls, then Zibinejad should as well. He snapped his head back way more.

srs

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
That's a penalty Dougie. I mean the team has been taking them all year you'd think you'd just goto the box and know you did something wrong when the ref puts his arm up and points at you.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah but fans of this forum :laugh:

But whatever pedigree, I believe my eyes
No, in central prospect rankings I mean. As many say, though, goalies are voodoo. Maybe he'll be nothing, like every goalie we develop, but maybe not. All I'm saying is now isn't the time to be making final decisions on him. This is just one part of the development. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad