Post-Game Talk: Flames vs Jets - Bell MTS Place - 7:00pm CT (preseason #5)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I personally think any hit to the head should be reviewed and the player suspended. If Trouba is suspended sonahould Tkachuk.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
no idea how other posters an argue that Trouba's hit wasn't late and intending to hurt a player.
the bottom line: he hit a guy, deserved the penalty and, to be honest, i wouldn't be upset if he's suspended for 1-2 games for it.
Trouba was taking a few head shots last year, and dude has to stop before he ends a player's career (or worse).

also don't get that argument that it was retribution for what Walt Jr did with his head hunting. Trouba likely concussed another player. that garbage has to be eliminated from the league asap

the intent of the hit was to injure a player. it wasn't a "hockey play".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATm2wlxrCgU

like, not sure what you're not seeing. Trouba was not playing the puck. he was intending to punish. he has his eyes on the player the entire time. Trouba uses his arm/shoulder to initiate the check.

His eyes are on the player the whole time because you don't watch the puck you watch the man. He intended to finish his check on the guy chipping in the puck at the blue line, and honestly it doesn't even look that bad of a hit. If the Calgary player had his head up maybe Trouba doesn't catch a bit of his chin when he finishes what looks like a perfectly fine hit otherwise on a guy in a lowered stance attempting to cut back. The hit is less than a second after he chips the puck in from the blue line and attempts to jump past Trouba on the left and gets dumped. Tom Wilson's hit the other night was a much better example of what doesn't need to happen, it wasn't even debatable whether it was late, he left his feet into the check, and came around the players blind side from around behind him and then around his own teammate to throw the hit.

Trouba had one bad hit last year at the blue line. Then there was the Pens fans crying over Trouba chicken winging one of their players 15 feet out from our net or something thinking he elbowed the guy when he forearmed him to the chest and followed through. I'm just not seeing this epidemic people are trying to drum up over this hit... even the lateness of it is debatable. Isn't the NHL's criteria like 0.6-0.8 seconds window? Trouba's pretty close to that, but otherwise we're really splitting hairs calling it a late hit as it's not like the guy didn't know Trouba had been defending him as soon as he crossed the red line with the puck and it's incredibly common in hockey to stand your guy up at the blue line when he makes a dump in. They do it in peewee hockey.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It's been 24 hours, and we haven't heard anything about a review from the Department of player safety, so I think it's safe to assume that nothing's going to happen from the hit.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My issue is that there is no logic to suspending Trouba because he received a penalty from the on-ice officials, but Tkachuk gets nothing because the on-ice officials missed it.

It's the inconsistency that needs to be cleared up.

I agree with this. I have a problem with the Trouba hit.....I also had a problem with the Tkachuck hit. I 100% agree the DOPS should not be limited by what the on ice officials call. Both hits were dirty and sneaky intentional.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You could easily argue that Trouba is the best and most important player on the team but he deserves two games....late hit to the head.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I hope to see an offensive explosion at the game tomorrow.
But this time from some other sources.
The Jets will need their depth to score and supplement the top guys production to become a great team.

Light em up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
no idea how other posters an argue that Trouba's hit wasn't late and intending to hurt a player.
the bottom line: he hit a guy, deserved the penalty and, to be honest, i wouldn't be upset if he's suspended for 1-2 games for it.
Trouba was taking a few head shots last year, and dude has to stop before he ends a player's career (or worse).

also don't get that argument that it was retribution for what Walt Jr did with his head hunting. Trouba likely concussed another player. that garbage has to be eliminated from the league asap

the intent of the hit was to injure a player. it wasn't a "hockey play".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATm2wlxrCgU

like, not sure what you're not seeing. Trouba was not playing the puck. he was intending to punish. he has his eyes on the player the entire time. Trouba uses his arm/shoulder to initiate the check.

Never said the hit wasn't late or that it didn't deserve a penalty. I said it wasn't a head shot. He hit a puck carrier, but after he had passed it off. If Hrivik still had the puck what would you call it? A hockey play? If so then the only thing wrong was that it was late. Deliberate attempt to injure? I can't say about that. I don't know what Trouba might have been thinking. I don't think it was that obvious.

I didn't like the hit. I wasn't wild about the call either.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
No matter how much he does (within reason) he has no chance of displacing any of the current top 6 D. If all contract considerations are removed, who does he take a job from? Keep in mind that we haven't yet seen him play a single game against a real NHL opponent. Also that if he has to play the left side he might do very well but it will still have some impact on his effectiveness.

I think we should just be satisfied knowing that we have a strong prospect in the A ready for insertion into the lineup with the first injury. The fact is that he will probably get at least 30 games in the NHL this year. It could easily be 60.

I agree we get too caught up in who breaks camp. I'd be thrilled if we only lost 60 dmen games to injury which gives Poolman more than enough minutes to show if he derserves to crack a playoff roster if we're fortunate enough to make it

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Isn't the NHL's criteria like 0.6-0.8 seconds window?

If this is the case--I've never seen it referenced anywhere else--then it was 100% legal.

He got plenty of trunk and and wouldn't have hit the head at all if Hrivik hadn't put his hands up immediately before contact like he was under arrest.

Brad Watson is a ****ing idiot.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I didn’t see the head being the principal point of contact, not even close.
I saw an interference penalty and that’s it

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought Tkachuk went high on Trouba for sure and the intent was ****** there too. Dumb by Trouba to play into Tkachuk's hands by retaliating. Dumb of the refs to miss Tkachuk's play and only call Trouba. Because look how it ended up.

Tkachuk drew 7 mins in penalties from one sneaky play. It's chicken **** stuff but it's smart hockey sorry to say. We need a good POS like him on our team and have since 2011.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sportsnet is saying Trouba is up for an auto-suspension of 1 game as a repeat offender.

Does this apply in the pre-season or is he out of the opener?

All match penalties include a 1 gm suspension now IIRC. Sometimes DPS rescinds the match penalty afterwards though and no suspension results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad