GDT: Flames vs Jackets (5pm on Sportsnet)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Flames offense scored 0 goals in over 60 minutes because our top line got shut down yet this is all Brodie's fault.

They made a stupid play that lost the game? no?

Brodie is no where near top 25 the way he is playing.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary

I meant that because JG and Money didn't carry us this time we couldn't score a single goal. More of a knock on the other lines for consistently not contributing.

It was an unintentional mistake every single NHL player does it. Just happened at the wrong spot at the wrong time. I am not now going to trade a core piece of my team sitting in a playoff spot because he is in a bit of a slump.

Reactions: Calculon

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I meant that because JG and Money didn't carry us this time we couldn't score a single goal. More of a knock on the other lines for consistently not contributing.

It was an unintentional mistake every single NHL player does it. Just happened at the wrong spot at the wrong time. I am not now going to trade a core piece of my team sitting in a playoff spot because he is in a bit of a slump.

Yeah 3rd and 4th lines are useless. Honestly, they should sit Bennett and let him watch the game for awhile.

Brodie has been slumping since last year. Somebody needs to wake him up, doesnt look like GG is going to do it.

Reactions: Flameshomer

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Remember that game when Brodie put the team on his back and put up like 2 goals and an assist; he helped get Gaudreau going that game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
lmao

Brodie not a top pairing defenseman.

lol

XD

:popcorn::laugh:

Lemme guess it is because he doesn't "hit" enough.
Where have I ever complained about Bordie's lack of physicality? Find 1 single post, I dare you.

Brodie is not a top pairing defenseman because his all-around game is lacking and yes, that includes physicality to a degree but that is far from the only reason. His giveaways and his lackadaisical defensive play are the biggest reasons I don't see him as a top pairing defenseman. I see Brodie as a good #3 defenseman, that is hardly the slight you want to make it out to be. But not all of us can say stupid outlandish things day in and day out to make our fanbase a joke the way you do.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I hate all the "what have you done for me lately" crap we get into on this board, personally. That's not how it works. If you knee-jerk react every time a player goes through a bad stretch, you end up making the Phaneuf trade 21 times a season. Is that what people want? Hockey players simply aren't capable of firing on all cylinders 82 games in a season. It doesn't happen. Players are going to struggle at times. It's okay to still like a player and simultaneously acknowledge that he isn't currently playing his best hockey. Just like Pittsburgh doesn't need to trade Crosby right now, we don't need to trade guys for a bad stretch of play.

Anyway, I saw the whole game and I'm pretty much over it. We had our chances to win it in regulation, thanks to Smith, and we didn't cash. We allowed way too much in the defensive zone, but I'm not putting too much stock into that given that the previous game, the opposite was true, and one isn't more indicative of this team than the other, really. Flames need to start acting like a good team, though. They've shown they can be, but they seem to have a tendency to change their game after a few wins, instead of taking a look at what was working, relishing how it feels to put the other team on their heels, and repeating it over and over. They need to learn to enjoy the process as much as the result.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Agreed. The overrraxtion we have to one game sample sizes is Toronto-esque.

One good game, “we are unstoppable”. One bad game “trade everyone and fire the coach”

If a player struggles for more then 3 games, “shoot him into space...”

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Flames need to start acting like a good team, though. They've shown they can be, but they seem to have a tendency to change their game after a few wins, instead of taking a look at what was working, relishing how it feels to put the other team on their heels, and repeating it over and over. They need to learn to enjoy the process as much as the result.
This is a very good point

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed. The overrraxtion we have to one game sample sizes is Toronto-esque.

One good game, “we are unstoppable”. One bad game “trade everyone and fire the coach”

If a player struggles for more then 3 games, “shoot him into space...”

I mean, that's an internet forum though; where most people use their hearts instead of their heads.
It was a dud of a game, Calgary didn't come to play, got doubled up on shots and snuck away with a point. This is what happens when you have a good team, you can earn points even when you aren't playing your best.

I like this Calgary team, Columbus is a ridiculously good defensive team; I'm okay with 1 point.

So far this road trip we're:
2-1-1

Far from anything to cry about.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Good luck the rest of the season, went into the game thinking this was going to be a shootout & the up and down play with no stops only furthered that thought - but that was fantastic goaltending on both sides. Smith is a Jacket killer.. 40 saves some of them from the crease. Now he's pissed at TJ eh? Love his fire & candid interview.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Brodie has not been the same player since he was shifted to the left. I am starting to think that instead of looking for a right dman to partner with him it should have been a left dman. He has shown the ability to perform as a top pair Right dman and has shown it without Gio. Sometimes a coach needs to look beyond what hand shot a player is.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
The only way this could be a case of "what have you done for me lately crap", is if you think "lately" constitutes more than a season and a quarters worth of games. And let's face it, that's a ridiculous argument to make.

Brodie hasn't been a top 40 defenceman in that span. He had a few very good games, but looking at this year, for instance, he's had maybe 5 of those really good games.

This isn't a reaction to a bad stretch, this is a reaction to how he has played for the majority of this season and last.

He is lost defensively, has reverted back to not shooting the puck (which was what helped him to his best game in these 2 years), and has become a robot on the PP breakout. It's tough to watch when you compare it to when he could actually be considered a top 10 defenceman. It's night and day.

Anyone who can't see the regression is beyond helpless.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Some people on this board are just realists, others are not.

Brodie has not been playing like a first pairing d man (barely a second pairing d man) many nights this season. The same can be said for last year as well. My personal opinion is that this is the real Brodie, what we saw before was Brodie playing alongside gio covering up for his inadequacies. Realistically, we're asking Brodie to carry a pair when he can't.
Also this right-left side shit is ridiculous, if Brodie isn't smart enough to adapt his game to such a minor difference, he doesn't deserve the accolades some of you heap on him.

I think we're a much better team if we maximize his value and trade him now. Him and Bennett are more than enough to land us Kane and McCabe/Scandella who would look reasonable next to Hamonic as a stop gap. We could probably recoup a pick at the same time.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Brodie is the player that you love him when he is hot and hate when he makes mistakes, more than anyone else on this team.

Last night i was pissed off at the play. This morning I am still pissed off at him but I think deep down I wanted Johnny's streak to continue and have a feeling if he would have came back on the ice he would have snagged an A or a G.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
No there are mostly pessimists on this board.

This team is what 12-9?

The realists are saying, “hey, we aren’t playing good. That said, our biggest concern heading into the season, goaltending, has been resolved. There is large room for improvement defensively, but historically the Flames are always a disaster in their own zone to start the season”

I feel like a lot of the negativity comes from the same group of people that wanted Anti Raanta over Mike Smith because youth > talent

Reactions: Anglesmith

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
No there are mostly pessimists on this board.

This team is what 12-9?

The realists are saying, “hey, we aren’t playing good. That said, our biggest concern heading into the season, goaltending, has been resolved. There is large room for improvement defensively, but historically the Flames are always a disaster in their own zone to start the season”

I feel like a lot of the negativity comes from the same group of people that wanted Anti Raanta over Mike Smith because youth > talent

Don't know where you're coming from, I haven't seen any poster at all who has been disappointed with Smith, and I have seen several who were willing to eat crow (myself included!) and admit that we were totally wrong about him.

Bolded is where I take issue- we were supposed to be one of the top defensive teams in the league (much like last season...) and have thus far proven we're absolutely not. The fact that even smith is getting tired of this is worrisome- he might not be willing to bail us out every night. Frankly, if we replaced smith with even average goaltending this year I believe we would regress down to .500 level, which is not where a team that went all in with picks should be.

It was optimistic to believe Brodie would improve from his performance last season and come out this season with passion and intensity. It is realistic to note that he has done the opposite, and seems to be building on the bad elements he brought into his game last year. It is pessimistic to say that Brodie is worthless now- quite the contrary, I think he would be VERY useful in getting us another offensive weapon while going for a more "steady" LD option on our second pair. Scandella and McCabe both seem reasonable.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Are McCabe and Scandella steady or just bad?

Hamonic was thought to be steady but he's been anything but (he did have his best game of the year last night imo though)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad