GDT: Flames vs Canucks in Calgary Oct 6/2018 8:00 PM MT ( CBC, SN360, CITY, SNW / Fan960)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
giphy.gif

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
I’ll give the Canucks credit, they are playing hard and showed it by giving my heart an excellent stress test.

Also we finally did stuff on the powerplay!

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Good win! Still gotta tighten some things up, esp in our own zone, but overall the Flames were the better team. Good to see all that scoring as well. Not sure we see that last year?

It was my bday today(as well as valimaki's!), so nice to make the day that much better with the W!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have to say that it was a pleasure to watch Elias Pettersson play tonight. He has Johnnyesque moves and a better shot. The 'Nucks have a good one there..

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Good win! Still gotta tighten some things up, esp in our own zone, but overall the Flames were the better team. Good to see all that scoring as well. Not sure we see that last year?

It was my bday today(as well as valimaki's!), so nice to make the day that much better with the W!

Happy birthday man! (And to Valimaki too of course.)

Reactions: JurassicTunga

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Took the game in, in style at the Dome. What a fun back and forth.

My takeaways.
Calgary was the far superior team. They need to limit the major opportunities.
The defence is really questionable with Prout. He’s out his element tbh.
Valimaki had a dope game.
That first line is going to murder people this year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Happy birthday! Yeah definitely still some things to clean up. All my questions were not answered. Still I think it's a good sign they got a comeback in on the first home game of the season, especially when that team beat you just a couple days earlier. Still kind of hope to see Andersson in the next one, him and Valimaki might just make a great pair. Home record was such a major factor last year. Hope your pouring another :party:

Last edited:
Reactions: JurassicTunga

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So, what a weird game. This was almost a carbon copy of Wednesday, except tonight our PP was good, and so we turned a 4-2 deficit last game into a 5-4 lead this game.

I still don't think there's a reason to doubt Smith. If we allow 20 shots per game, he'll probably have a bad SV% this year, but we'll probably win a lot of games.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Caught the game as well at the Dome.

My loose thoughts on the game:

- Our defending is a serious concern. Whether it's preventing a zone entry or just our defensive coverage, we're all over the place. Someone like McDavid is going to torch us if we play like this

- Prout might've been an NHL mainstay in the pre-lockout NHL. He was noticeably poor today

- Pre-season doesn't matter for veteran goalies. Smith is on fire.

- That amazing Gaudreau set-up on the Monahan GTG is what happens if you play him on his off-wing on the PP. Take notes, Geoff Ward.

- Frolik looks no bueno. I can't remember Bennett and Janko getting a shift in the third period. Putting them through the wringer for some reason...

- I don't like Czarnik and Ryan on the PP

- The Canucks have an amazing breakout. Their rebuild is gonna finish faster than we think. Lotta potential there

- I was wrong about Lindholm. He's gonna be a stud

- James Neal is in a deep slumber

- The refs were in mid-season form tonight

Happy they got the W. Still a lot of concerns moving forward. Shipping 9 goals in two games to the Canucks is pretty sad

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Also I saw someone rocking a Cloutier jersey. Of all of the Canucks players back then....

Our new goal song sucks too

Last edited:
Reactions: Sk8M8

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
For all my complaining, we had a very big win. Loved that we got production on the PP and from our first line. Big game from Lindholm, Gio, Gaudreau . . . Just a nice bounceback win overall.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
For those complaining about Prout (warranted), Stone has been just as bad if not worse this entire time, stop giving him a free ride from scrutiny, he is atrocious out there.

Why do the Flames need to make all these rookies look like Gods? I know McDavid and Petterson are good players, but can we not make them look like the greatest players to play the game, it's embarrassing.

2 bad goals by Smith again and I thought he looked awful all night with his awkwardness in net, I never felt comfortable with a Canuck shot. At least he got the win so he can build some confidence off that, but we can't win every game 7-4.

Flames dominated most of the game at least, but are getting some brutal defensive breakdowns which are costing us.

2 games in and I am done with Derek Ryan already. 15 minutes of ice-time including PP and Bennett with 7 minutes (the least on the team). Complete horseshit. f***ing Bennett plays well, is a Flames mainstay the past couple of years and Czarnik comes in and gets 2nd line ice-time with Tkachuk over him? Come on, not bashing Czar cause he looks good but Bennett getting the lowest amount of ice-time is just a waste at this point. He's done as a Flame after this year if this continues, because he is playing well but is getting like 3-4 shifts a period.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
For those complaining about Prout (warranted), Stone has been just as bad if not worse this entire time, stop giving him a free ride from scrutiny, he is atrocious out there.

Why do the Flames need to make all these rookies look like Gods? I know McDavid and Petterson are good players, but can we not make them look like the greatest players to play the game, it's embarrassing.

2 bad goals by Smith again and I thought he looked awful all night with his awkwardness in net, I never felt comfortable with a Canuck shot. At least he got the win so he can build some confidence off that, but we can't win every game 7-4.

Flames dominated most of the game at least, but are getting some brutal defensive breakdowns which are costing us.

2 games in and I am done with Derek Ryan already. 15 minutes of ice-time including PP and Bennett with 7 minutes (the least on the team). Complete horse****. ****ing Bennett plays well, is a Flames mainstay the past couple of years and Czarnik comes in and gets 2nd line ice-time with Tkachuk over him? Come on, not bashing Czar cause he looks good but Bennett getting the lowest amount of ice-time is just a waste at this point. He's done as a Flame after this year if this continues, because he is playing well but is getting like 3-4 shifts a period.

Had we known that Dube and Czarnik were mainstays, its likely Bennett would've been traded this off-season. He's done after this season as a Flame though, and I do agree his talent is wasted on the 4th line, but its not as if he's played better than Dube or Neal (and there is no chance he is a center either).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad