Speculation: Flames to move AHL affiliate to Utica, NY?

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
RFA hockey 1988, 25-0 state champs.

http://www.rfahockey.com/pastscores.asp

FYI for all you Rome haters keep in mind Rome was at the top of its game when GAFB was fully operational. Since the base closing the city has gone into the sewer, and Utica felt the effects as well. However, I don't ever recall seeing Proctor/UFA fighting RFA for any championship games.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
RFA hockey 1988, 25-0 state champs.

http://www.rfahockey.com/pastscores.asp

FYI for all you Rome haters keep in mind Rome was at the top of its game when GAFB was fully operational. Since the base closing the city has gone into the sewer, and Utica felt the effects as well. However, I don't ever recall seeing Proctor/UFA fighting RFA for any championship games.
Haters?

I'd wager most people around here have no idea what the hell you're talking about, and have no idea what the point of your post is.

Heyoooo*

Cant expect much when hes the premier product of Rome

Tom-Sestito-score-game-winning-goals.jpg

DevilsAnimal*

If Utica wants a team, why dont they take OKC, or Biningham?, two lower teams than ABBY
or hell, move albany back, and get the Utica Devils again

DevilsAnimal*

I dont know whats worse
The fact that im losing my hockey team
the fact that Canucks fans want them gone

or the fact that Canucks fans think the Wolves are moving to abbotsford, with their 2nd in the league attendance

flames123

Oct 21, 2009
Kelowna
Aren't they operating basically rent free in Abbotsford?

This makes no sense from both a cost and logistics standpoint, unless other stuff is happening behind the scenes.

Exactly my thought. The Heat drove out the WHL's Bruins in nearby Chilliwack and there isn't much else in the area that can compete with the Heat's draw. Who knows what the were thinking. Maybe there was concerned about being so far away from other AHL teams. Either way I am a little disappointed I wont be able to catch some of those games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Exactly my thought. The Heat drove out the WHL's Bruins in nearby Chilliwack and there isn't much else in the area that can compete with the Heat's draw. Who knows what the were thinking. Maybe there was concerned about being so far away from other AHL teams. Either way I am a little disappointed I wont be able to catch some of those games.
read some of the earlier posts in this thread, mine in particular.

or if you don't want to this sums it up better.

less travel + more practice + more rest = prospects developing better

it is no coincidence that the Heat have been the most injured team in the AHL since their inception. I will hate to see the Heat move, but its the smartest thing to do.

UticaFan

Feb 25, 2013
Hey guys. From Utica originally and live in Albany now. I played hockey through high school and am an avid fan (rangers...stop throwing stuff:laugh:). My dad was involved with the ownership group that originally brought the stars and comets and eventually the devils to the utica area. He has since passed but in hearing of the news this past Sunday I thought I would give my dads old business partner a call. The deal to bring the flames affiliate to utica is in fact done. They're not really sure how it was leaked and they didn't want it to happen. Our local facility has already had the locker rooms and training gfacility built, the lower bowl of seats replaced and the upper tier is just waiting for announcement. The facility upgrade was largely done without public knowledge. I can't name my source at this point but I promised on another board I frequent and will do the same here, I will name them by April 1st, about a week after the formal announcement.

Although I do like to see ahl caliber hockey in utica I do feel for the residents of Abbotsford. I hated the day I saw the devils leave and never thought that city would be able to acquire a team again but it has come to fruition. Please don't slam me as I'm not trying to be confrontational I just wanted to share what I do know.

Heyoooo*

Its a shame they couldnt get the Connecticut Whale seeing that Hartford doesnt really care to have them and Utica would love to since all Ranger fans.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
City of Abbotsford taxpayers very unhappy with subsidizing Heat by millions per year and shrinking attendance figures. Placing the Flames AHL affiliate in Abbostford never made any sense from a fan perspective.

Fantasy Billionaire

Feel The Heat
Jun 22, 2009
Calgary
navarres.helo.life
Hate to bring this up again however turns out discussions are going on as we speak as members of the Flames brass are headed out to NY at this very moment.
Very good chance this is the last year the Heat are in Abbotsford.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Stewie is right, its better for player development, which is ultimately what the AHL is about. Very few teams are profitable in the AHL in all reality. Abby's schedule is screwed up because of where the team is located respective to the rest of the league. Too many back to backs, too many consecutive days off in between, and too many empty seats at home games.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
One thing nice about where they are now is the ability to easily get players to Calgary on short notice. That cant really happen if they are in NY.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
One thing nice about where they are now is the ability to easily get players to Calgary on short notice. That cant really happen if they are in NY.

How much quicker? There's direct Flights from NY to Calgary I'm sure. I think the Flames organization was hoping for Calgarians to drive to Abbotsford more often, whereas that's clearly not going to happen when the Heat are located in NY

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
How much quicker? There's direct Flights from NY to Calgary I'm sure. I think the Flames organization was hoping for Calgarians to drive to Abbotsford more often, whereas that's clearly not going to happen when the Heat are located in NY

Direct flights from Abbotsford/Vancouver are an hour. I believe NY is about 7 hours. Big difference if a player gets injured in the morning skate or something like that.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Direct flights from Abbotsford/Vancouver are an hour. I believe NY is about 7 hours. Big difference if a player gets injured in the morning skate or something like that.

From New York to Calgary is about 4-5.5 hours.

Because from Baltimore-Calgary, it is about 4 hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad