Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Spencer Foo to 2 year ELC

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ya, St. Louis did wonders for Yakupov.

I have to think there's going to be a trade coming involving one or more RWers.

If we assume Foo makes the team on the RW, then our RWers could include: Ferland, Frolik, Brouwer, Hathaway, Foo, Stajan and Lazar. LWers could be Johnny, Tkachuk and Bouma. That's already one too many forwards without considering the Centers of Mony, Backlund, Hamilton or Jankowski.

If we want Versteeg back (which I do) a couple wingers have to go. Bouma to the A, Stajan a healthy scratch would go a ways, but still no room on RW if we keep Ferland and Frolik on the RW.

Oh no... I've gone cross-eyed
Both Ferland and Frolik play LW and Jankowski and/or Foo can start in Stockton. Problem solved.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Ya, St. Louis did wonders for Yakupov.

I have to think there's going to be a trade coming involving one or more RWers.

If we assume Foo makes the team on the RW, then our RWers could include: Ferland, Frolik, Brouwer, Hathaway, Foo, Stajan and Lazar. LWers could be Johnny, Tkachuk and Bouma. That's already one too many forwards without considering the Centers of Mony, Backlund, Hamilton or Jankowski.

If we want Versteeg back (which I do) a couple wingers have to go. Bouma to the A, Stajan a healthy scratch would go a ways, but still no room on RW if we keep Ferland and Frolik on the RW.

Oh no... I've gone cross-eyed

Taht's just the thing, we should stop using Ferland on RW. Stajan wasnever a RWer. Frolik is only a right winger because he's awesome on the right side with Backlund, but without Backlund Frolik is much better as a LWer. Johnny, Tkachuk, and Ferland make an excellent top 3 LW. Foo, Frolik, and Lazar should be RWers.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Congrats guys. The added troll job on Edmonton again (miss you already Hammer) is a nice bonus.

The tears must taste like Ambrosia! Haha.

Hope you guys don't mind, but you guys have a lot of Isles fans rooting for you because of #24. Go Flames!

We welcome any and all friends from Long Island :)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Taht's just the thing, we should stop using Ferland on RW. Stajan wasnever a RWer. Frolik is only a right winger because he's awesome on the right side with Backlund, but without Backlund Frolik is much better as a LWer. Johnny, Tkachuk, and Ferland make an excellent top 3 LW. Foo, Frolik, and Lazar should be RWers.

In theory, yes. But as long as Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland keep producing like a first line you don't mess with that.

Who knows what Foo or Lazar are at this point. And Frolik never has clicked with Gaudreau-Monahan in the past.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I Foo happy Spencer signed. I think he spends most of this year in the AHL, with some callups. Then next season he's a full timer.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Glad we got Foo. But I wouldn't have high expectations for him at all. If he makes the team, it's likely in a depth role on the 3rd/4th line, and we already have Lazar/Brouwer down there.

The long shot would be that he finds awesome chemistry with Monahan and Gaudreau...But that's highly unlikely.

I really hope we could find a way to rid ourselves of Stajan/Bouma and bring in James Neal if vegas doesn't want too high a price. Otherwise, I try signing Vrbata. I would rather have Williams, just doubt he has any interest in coming out west.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
how good can jankowski be and where does he slot in the future? Flames have 3 centers so can he play wing a nd not be stuck on the 4th line?

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
how good can jankowski be and where does he slot in the future? Flames have 3 centers so can he play wing a nd not be stuck on the 4th line?

Personally, I would like to see him start on the wing, even playing with Backlund and Frolik. This should push him to be playing the style he excels at. It frees up Tkachuk to play with Bennett.

Or, they trust him enough at Center to play him 4th line minutes and Stajan shifts to wing, but I don't see that if F.Hamilton is still around.

JG/Monahan/Ferland
Jankowski/Backlund/Frolik
Tkachuk/Bennett/Lazar

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Showed really well in the AHL as their all-purpose 1C for parts of the year and especially down the stretch. Being perfectly honest with you, outside of OKG who owns several crystal balls; it's tough to peg where this kid'll end up in the next few years. I think he's an NHL'er; he has NHL size, speed and hands. There's been questions about his processor speed; I think you can kind of work on that at the next level though. It'll be what separates him from being a bottom or top 6 player.

I imagine he can play wing, I think most would like to keep him at centre. He'd be good learning on Stajan's wing to take his job next year.

He's one of these guys that if you told me in 5 years he ended up a centre on any 4 line, or an AHL all-star; I'd literally shrug and say 'makes sense'.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we don't get a legit #5 D I personally think we should use our availiable space to sign Bennett/Ferland long term.

7 year 4 million for Bennett
4 year 2.5 million for Ferland

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I think if Janko is ready for the 4th line, which he should be. You need to try and ship out Stajan for a bag of pucks...Someone like OTT could use him, not saying they want him, just sayin'.

This would also allow us the cap space to chase a Neal, Williams, Vrbata, etc...Williams being my first choice, as long as it's two years.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Williams
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer/Foo
Bouma-Janko-Lazar/Brouwer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we don't get a legit #5 D I personally think we should use our availiable space to sign Bennett/Ferland long term.

Jesus Christ do those contracts come with lube?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

That Bennett contract would be excellent. Even if he improbably maxes out as a 3C/2LW it'd be excellent, and if he becomes the 1C or at least Duchene-type 2C* we know he can be, it'd be the kind of value contract that wins you championships.

I'd tack on another .45 to get another year on the Ferland deal. 2.95 over 5 years would maximize our cup window.

*Bennett's already miles better defensively than Duchene, but I meant offensively unpredictable.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
That Bennett contract would be excellent. Even if he improbably maxes out as a 3C/2LW it'd be excellent, and if he becomes the 1C or at least Duchene-type 2C* we know he can be, it'd be the kind of value contract that wins you championships.

I'd tack on another .45 to get another year on the Ferland deal. 2.95 over 5 years would maximize our cup window.

*Bennett's already miles better defensively than Duchene, but I meant offensively unpredictable.

I'd knock down the term on Bennett so that we have the option to resign him as an RFA. As for Ferland, there's already 2 pretty good comparables in Kassian and Connolly. Somewhere between $1.5-$2. Anything above $2 and I'll be disappointed. We're talking about a 25 year old, with 48 career points. He really hasn't proven anymore than Bouma.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Bennett signing that contract would be dumb on his part, unless he doesn't believe he can be a 1st/2nd line C.

It's an interesting thought. It's a roll of the dice type contract where the Flames could benefit hugely down the road. Seems unlikely to me though, I think they bridge him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Bennett signing that contract would be dumb on his part, unless he doesn't believe he can be a 1st/2nd line C.

It's an interesting thought. It's a roll of the dice type contract where the Flames could benefit hugely down the road. Seems unlikely to me though, I think they bridge him.

I'm not sure though. Bennett isn't exactly a proven commodity and likely won't make a lot of money on his bridge. For him he is looking at basically being set for life. If I was him I would definitely take the security over the gamble but I am not much of a gambler.

From the Flames perspective you hope it turns into a Josi/Klefbom type deal and I'm confident enough in Bennett that he'll be worth at least 4 mil per season. I guess I am a gambler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad