Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Spencer Foo to 2 year ELC

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Tkachuk is different tho. And besides Tkachuk was a major reason why that line was as effective as it was. Also he was a reason why Backlund had his best seasons to date. I guess they could try Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar and then Brouwer-Backlund-Frolik???. It all depends on how Bennett develops and how he shows in training camp and pre-season.
We don't know that he is different until he succeeds without them though, until then it is just an assumption.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Bennett's going to "step it up" he's going to need some actual high end line mates.
This is a load of ****. Players need to earn opportunities. He needs to learn to produce without replying on high end linemates.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
Why Calgary? #Flames fans will love this answer from right-winger Spencer Foo ...
DDXtVnUUQAEs_H9.jpg:small

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I mean sure it could help. But the Backlund line was our most consistent line last year if Bennett can step it up and Foo sticks with the Monahan line we could have 3 good lines. I'm hoping that Bennett can step it up next year big time and put up big time points.

That's actually a myth. Monahan had a dismal first quarter but was actually above his career average for the next 3. Backlund was below average the first quarter, well above average for the middle 2 and average for the fourth.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
This is a load of ****. Players need to earn opportunities. He needs to learn to produce without replying on high end linemates.

Backlund's claim to fame! A lucky 20 game stretch, where the stars aligned and Bouma/Colborne played like legit NHL players! The rest of the season Bennett was with him for over half his points.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
Why Calgary? #Flames fans will love this answer from right-winger Spencer Foo ...
DDXtVnUUQAEs_H9.jpg:small

This must choke Oilers fans! They were literally begging him to choose Edmonton on twitter!

Edit: I also just realized that highlight package of his was put together by Oilers Nation! Bahaha

Last edited:

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
This must choke Oilers fans! They were literally begging him to choose Edmonton on twitter!

Edit: I also just realized that highlight package of his was put together by Oilers Nation! Bahaha

I suppose you could say they really had themselves Foo'd.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I am so amused about how fans of a team that is playing its 2C at 1RW, has Ryan Strome at 2RW, Zach Kassian ( a guy who cleared waivers just two seasons ago) at 3RW, and got a whole lotta nada out of Puljujarvi thinks their depth at RW was why Foo didn't sign.

Did I mention that their brand shiny new first rounder 18 year old Kailer Yamamoto only marginally outproduced 18 year old Matthew Phillips (actually scoring less goals, but marginally more assists)?
:laugh:

Foo signed with Calgary because IF he cracks our roster he'd be playing on a line with either:

Gaudreau/Monahan
Frolik/Backlund
Tkachuk/Bennett
Mark Jankowski

VS

the corpse of Milan Lucic and what is supposed to be Ryan Nugent Hopkins (lol)
Tumbleweed-David Desharnais (lol)
Mark Letestu (lol)
Jujhair Khaira (lol)

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Nice. Free second round pick or better essentially.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Foo
Ferland-Bennett-Lazar
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer
Hamilton/Hathaway

Would also assume this means Chiasson isn't coming back. Maybe Versteeg too.

Given that Foo is a complete unknown, that is a godawful looking right wing lineup. If they don't bring Versteeg back they'd better find a decent replacement.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Nice. Free second round pick or better essentially.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Foo
Ferland-Bennett-Lazar
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer
Hamilton/Hathaway

Would also assume this means Chiasson isn't coming back. Maybe Versteeg too.

So we have a Micheal Ferland on our third line and a Michael Ferland on our 1st, who happens to be his twin brother but only far more offensivly gifted and RHS? Count me in! :sarcasm:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I get Bennett needs to earn time and line mates, but let's be honest, Bennett would be given far more opportunities on a team like St. Louis or Nashville over the Flames.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I tend to agree. Lots of teams "give" their young guys spots and rope. I don't think it needs to be that black and white though, I think you can find some middle ground. Provide opportunity but also have tough love and provide competition to push the kids and vets.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Because they aren't afraid of using young guys, and also because both need a 2C, whereas Backlund easily checks that box. Oh and their bottom 6 isn't anywhere near as dreadful as ours. I mean Reaves was traded for a 1st rounder haha, and Brodziak is an elite defensive player when playing a pure bottom line role.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Because they aren't afraid of using young guys, and also because both need a 2C, whereas Backlund easily checks that box. Oh and their bottom 6 isn't anywhere near as dreadful as ours. I mean Reaves was traded for a 1st rounder haha, and Brodziak is an elite defensive player when playing a pure bottom line role.

Ya, St. Louis did wonders for Yakupov.

I have to think there's going to be a trade coming involving one or more RWers.

If we assume Foo makes the team on the RW, then our RWers could include: Ferland, Frolik, Brouwer, Hathaway, Foo, Stajan and Lazar. LWers could be Johnny, Tkachuk and Bouma. That's already one too many forwards without considering the Centers of Mony, Backlund, Hamilton or Jankowski.

If we want Versteeg back (which I do) a couple wingers have to go. Bouma to the A, Stajan a healthy scratch would go a ways, but still no room on RW if we keep Ferland and Frolik on the RW.

Oh no... I've gone cross-eyed

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Honestly, I'm expecting Connor Brown type skill. I guess the real question is how many could Connor Brown shovel in, playing with Matthews light and a left handed Marner???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad