Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Michael Stone (1 year, 750k AAV)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Why should the Flames pay him more? This is a business. He doesnt want to move and the Flames are willing to give him new contracts. If he wants more money hes free to get it elsewhere. Its a mutually beneficial relationship for both. Stone gets to stay in the city he wants, the Flames get a solid 7th defenseman for league minimum.

Reactions: Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Treliving also gave him a contract he wasn't worth and had to buy him out(and then brought him back). Can't really buy the Flames haven't done right by Michael Stone.

He's not an NHL regular, those guys get league min.
Pretty much this. He can fill in as a #6 for a time, but he struggles if he has to play on an 82 game basis. I think both sides are happy with the arrangement and that is that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm going to say something I've never said about a hockey player in my 60 years on earth , this deal is embarrassingly low , I feel bad for the guy they should have at least made it a one way , this guy took a paycut when he came to Calgary then got bought out in the last year of his first deal here , then re-signed for 700k twice covering the 2 years of buyout payments , then re-signed for 750k last year now they are giving 750k again and this time it's a two way ? Come on Tre the guy led the team in preseason scoring , he's the biggest team guy and homer on the team and you can't even give him a little bump ? Way to ruin an otherwise amazing off season .

Honestly speaking, I think it's the opposite. He gets $450K on the two way according to cap friendly which is pretty damn high. I honestly don't think the dude will ever travel with the Flames and leave Calgary (which is what he wants for family reasons). I'm literally assuming they'll have him as an option for home games only, but not for away games unless things are super dire.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Stone's dad is in here saying he got a raw deal. He was an injury-prone defenceman that Tre knew from his days in Phoenix/San Antonio, and traded for him, giving him his ideal living situation, and Stone keeps having his cake and eating it.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Some of you guys would make great business managers. You're really tight with the owners money. Nobody is saying Stone should be paid millions but come on.. at least pay the guy what a decent rookie prospect would get if he made the team.
There've been plenty of time where the Flames would have been up shit creek if Stone wasn't available to step in when injuries happened. He's also competent enough to play the 2nd pairing short term... he's done it before. Show the guy some respect. He'd get more if he just moved 300km north and you wouldn't like it to see him in an Oiler jersey.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I love Stone probably more than anyone on the board. And I'm saying that's not necessary Rubi. He's clearly happy to just get hos contract for his family life. He could easily try to go somewhere else if he wanted to, he'd at least get PTOs around the league. I firmly believe he'd strongly consider retirement if we didn't sign him.

He's also a guy I could see trying to get a job as a coach or trainer or something with us or the Hitmen or something after.

I think the arrangement works for both sides

Reactions: Fig and Nanuuk

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Some of you guys would make great business managers. You're really tight with the owners money. Nobody is saying Stone should be paid millions but come on.. at least pay the guy what a decent rookie prospect would get if he made the team.
There've been plenty of time where the Flames would have been up shit creek if Stone wasn't available to step in when injuries happened. He's also competent enough to play the 2nd pairing short term... he's done it before. Show the guy some respect. He'd get more if he just moved 300km north and you wouldn't like it to see him in an Oiler jersey.

And some of you guys would be terrible because you would make sentimental decisions instead of the right ones for the business. He knows what it is when he signs here every year. Why should the team pay him more and leave less cap space? There is a finite amount of money you can spend on your team, giving certain players more than they're worth because you like them is a stupid way to spend it.

Stone has become weirdly overrated recently because he's been able to step in and play well short term. People seem to forget how he played before he was bought out and why nobody wanted him back. It's great he's been able to come in and fill that role but it doesn't mean he deserves more money. And if he played 82 games I'd bet there would be plenty of you complaining and waiting for the day his contract expired.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Wish this board supported the proletariats (players) more...

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
750K per year is more than a lot of CEO's make in this city. Stone can raise his family, payout his mortgage (if he already hasn't), sock away money for the kid's college fund, and have family events with his wife's sister, husband and kids.

I'm also guessing that because he is a solid Calgary booster and is thought of favourably as a hockey player, his kids aren't teased overly much at school about Dad's occupation.

Personally, I think Stone knows that this is a perfect situation. Good for him!

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Yeah sure wish this guy was a regular on the big club and got paid like one. Always feels like he gets the change from beneath the couch cushions and the empties in the garage provided he uses his vehicle to take them in oh and tops up a Jerry can from the garage with his money. Give him a little kick too and make him eat on the porch for reasons. This team sometimes. Guy can't even help out his stats and looks like a career minor leaguer if he tried to get sniffs from other clubs. Maybe he gets an office job with the club after he's ground down further. At 32 they could make him office errand boy, make him pick up missed "basket shots" and give him wedgies; maybe make a deal with the gov to pay him foreign labour min wage. Ugh. / :rant: for now.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
750K per year is more than a lot of CEO's make in this city. Stone can raise his family, payout his mortgage (if he already hasn't), sock away money for the kid's college fund, and have family events with his wife's sister, husband and kids.

I'm also guessing that because he is a solid Calgary booster and is thought of favourably as a hockey player, his kids aren't teased overly much at school about Dad's occupation.

Personally, I think Stone knows that this is a perfect situation. Good for him!

$750K is his NHL wage but he's two way. So if he's playing for the Wranglers, he gets $450K. That's still damn high and significantly higher than the typical AHL pay on a two way deal.

Your point still stands. I'm just clarifying.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He's been serviceable. And he's more than welcome to follow the money, as is the life of and NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad