Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Michael Stone (1 year, 750k AAV)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I hope the Flames didn't cheap out with his AHL salary... although I just don't see a situation where the Flames would take a chance of putting him on waivers.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

This song is his goal song btw and this commercial is surprisingly apt for how we've perceived, deployed and used Stone on our roster all these years.

Reactions: Tofveve

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I'm going to say something I've never said about a hockey player in my 60 years on earth , this deal is embarrassingly low , I feel bad for the guy they should have at least made it a one way , this guy took a paycut when he came to Calgary then got bought out in the last year of his first deal here , then re-signed for 700k twice covering the 2 years of buyout payments , then re-signed for 750k last year now they are giving 750k again and this time it's a two way ? Come on Tre the guy led the team in preseason scoring , he's the biggest team guy and homer on the team and you can't even give him a little bump ? Way to ruin an otherwise amazing off season .

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm going to say something I've never said about a hockey player in my 60 years on earth , this deal is embarrassingly low , I feel bad for the guy they should have at least made it a one way , this guy took a paycut when he came to Calgary then got bought out in the last year of his first deal here , then re-signed for 700k twice covering the 2 years of buyout payments , then re-signed for 750k last year now they are giving 750k again and this time it's a two way ? Come on Tre the guy led the team in preseason scoring , he's the biggest team guy and homer on the team and you can't even give him a little bump ? Way to ruin an otherwise amazing off season .
I have to agree with you. Why nickel and dime a guy who's shown great loyalty to the team and is probably one of the better #7 dmen in the league and could probably earn a starting spot on 3rd pairing on a number of teams in the league. I know for sure if he wanted to move 300km to the north he'd have an every day spot.
However, I really don't see Treliving waiving him to the minors where that 2 way salary would kick in. He'd probably be claimed quite quickly.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I agree with you 100%. What does he have to do to get a respectable contract he deserves? The guy has been a trooper from day 1 and always comes through when asked.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I agree with you 100%. What does he have to do to get a respectable contract he deserves? The guy has been a trooper from day 1 and always comes through when asked.
Because in reality he's a fringe NHLer who has settled in Calgary, won't move, and only wants to play for the Flames, and it's a business. He's giving Tre a cheap option, sure, but Tre's doing him a solid too.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Because in reality he's a fringe NHLer who has settled in Calgary, won't move, and only wants to play for the Flames, and it's a business. He's giving Tre a cheap option, sure, but Tre's doing him a solid too.
I'll call BS on that Sutter doesn't do favors , Stoner works his ass off and earns his spot every year and every time he got sent down he came back up ready to carry the mail .

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'll call BS on that Sutter doesn't do favors , Stoner works his ass off and earns his spot every year and every time he got sent down he came back up ready to carry the mail .
Yeah. And they could just cut him loose and stop answering his phone calls.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
If he gets cut loose his phone won't stop ringing , there's at least 25 other teams that would love to have him .
True, except for the whole "he wants to stay in Calgary, his wife is from Calgary, his kids were born in Calgary, and go to school in Calgary" thing.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Because in reality (ie. Oliver Kylington coming back) he wouldn't make the team and would only dress when someone in the top 6 is injured.

He's still a #6/7.

Reactions: Backlund

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

His contract doesn't ruin anything. Pre-season scoring doesn't matter, most of the rosters he played against were players heading to the AHL. He took a pay cut because he wanted to stay in Calgary so that's on him if he wanted to go somewhere else and make more money. You don't bump a players salary because he's a good person. Cap structure, space, player role and ability are the factors that determine his salary. Stone is a minimum salary player if he wants to play in Calgary and he might see time in the AHL this season so its a two-way. This is hardly a reason to be upset.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
He also turned down higher paying deals to stay in Calgary. Turns out, having played his juniors in Calgary, meeting his girlfriend (now wife) in Calgary, having kids in Calgary, those kids go to school in Calgary, and then as an adult, even when in Arizona, living in Calgary in the offseasons, he's really developed an attachment to the city. To the point of wanting to stay here for league minimum contract over getting an extra 500k to play somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad