Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Joni Jurmo to ELC($850K, 2yrs)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As mentioned by bounces, his a big dude who skates well. Another defensive defenseman.

I'm still curious if we sign Boltmann to an ELC too as he's another defensive RHD that can play with a physical edge.

Wranglers D is looking stacked next year.

Poirier - Solovyov (RFA)
Kuznetsov (RFA) - Lyle (RFA)
Grushnikov - Brzustewicz
Jurmo - Boltmann (?)

Aspirot, Poolman, Oesterle, Pysyk are all UFAs, I can only see Aspirot or Poolman returning, I think much of that will be dependent on if we qualify Lyle and sign Boltmann. Poolman would be a possible candidate to wear the "C" next year if retained.

Reactions: Fig and Boomstick

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
No way the Wranglers go into next season with 6 defensive prospects all under the age of 24 in the starting lineup. Guessing Jurmo starts in the ECHL and the Flames pick up at least 2 veterans to round out the AHL defence.

Also, Solovyov needs waivers next season. Should pass easily but could be a wrinkle nevertheless.

Lot of defencemen already under contract next season. Can't see how Conroy can pick up a vet or two now without trades, or RFA's going unqualified.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I could see Solo on the Flames next year, and Jurmo could be ECHL
I'd agree that the Wranglers would need at least 1 vet on D, and we might already have him under contract....Hanley

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'd like to see Boltmann with the Wranglers has there are a number of fans that have poo-pooed the guy right from the outset because of his lack of scoring.

As far as the Jurmo signing goes, this is great news.

Conroy and Pascall have re-stocked our D pipeline and it looks like there will be competition for a spot with the Wranglers and the Flames next season.

That can't be a bad thing.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Guessing Jurmo starts in the ECHL and the Flames pick up at least 2 veterans to round out the AHL defence.
This is the most likely course of action. Canucks fans didn’t believe he would be signed by Allvin so he’s probably starting near the bottom of the depth chart save for an outstanding prospect camp

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No way the Wranglers go into next season with 6 defensive prospects all under the age of 24 in the starting lineup. Guessing Jurmo starts in the ECHL and the Flames pick up at least 2 veterans to round out the AHL defence.

Also, Solovyov needs waivers next season. Should pass easily but could be a wrinkle nevertheless.

Lot of defencemen already under contract next season. Can't see how Conroy can pick up a vet or two now without trades, or RFA's going unqualified.
Food call on waivers, I thought he had another year.

As for the Wranglers, I listed 8 defensemen and mentioned 2 others I could see returning. The 6 I listed as starters, only 4 would have been under 24. I'm guessing Hanley may be that vet with the Wranglers next year since Solo is unlikely to be waived. It's good to have depth about 10 deep in the minors since they need enough bodies to replace injured played on both the Wranglers and Flames; this year the Wranglers have iced 15 different defensemen and a dozen of them played at least 10 games. ECHLers Jardine and Riedell have combined for 30 games

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I dont think Jurmo would come to play in the ECHL, most of the Finns either come to AHL or stay in Finland, until they are good enough to stick in the AHL. Or straight to NHL. This year ECHL has been around 97% NA players, and looks like there hasnt been any Finns playing there.

Nope, two players with 12 combined games. Both have been mainly playing in the AHL.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I dont think Jurmo would come to play in the ECHL, most of the Finns either come to AHL or stay in Finland, until they are good enough to stick in the AHL. Or straight to NHL. This year ECHL has been around 97% NA players, and looks like there hasnt been any Finns playing there.

Nope, two players with 12 combined games. Both have been mainly playing in the AHL.
I'm wondering this as well....if he can't make the AHL will he jump?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad