Confirmed with Link: Flames sign G Waltteri Ignatjew / 1 year ELC

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Finnish 24yo goalkeeper, who played this past season in the second tier in Sweden.

There was a typical clickbait article "NHL team signs an unknown Finnish player" and I thought it's about someone who everyone who follows NHL or Liiga has heard about. But seriously this is the first time I hear about this guy.

In Finnish
and google translate
If the name Waltteri Ignatjew doesn't mean anything, you shouldn't be embarrassed, even if you're a hockey follower. The 24-year-old goalkeeper is completely unknown to the general public.

But no more. According to the editorial information, Ignatjew has signed an NHL contract with the Calgary Flames.

Several NHL clubs became interested in the Finn this season, when he played at Sweden's second highest league level in the Hockey Allsvenskan for Mora IK.

The Swedish club's road ended last week in the semi-finals of the series, where they lost to the Stockholm club Djurgården IK. At the end of the regular season, Ignatjew was chosen as the best goalkeeper of the series.

Ignatjev's good season attracted interest in North America, but he ended up signing with Calgary.

The unknown Finn has never been booked in the NHL, so he was free to sign a contract with any club.

The contract is for one year, which is the maximum length of a rookie contract for a 24-year-old player according to the NHL collective agreement. The financial details of the agreement are not known.

Also started his military service today :laugh:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Looking purely at stats, age, career etc. Nikita Tolopilo might be a good comparison, AHL this year with Abbotsford

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Just okay stats in tier 2 league, weird pickup - that being said I’ve obviously never seen him play but our scouts have

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Maybe Dansk is gone and this guy & Murphy to share the AHL net
Possibly one of the 3 Russians as well

I'd still like to see us grab a CHL goalie with one of our 4th rnders

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Just okay stats in tier 2 league, weird pickup - that being said I’ve obviously never seen him play but our scouts have
Tim Thomas was a tier 2 goalie, age 25 putting up sub .900 on the Detroit Vipers, and then he was the best goalie in the world with his name on the cup. Goalies are voodoo and getting excited by them at any stage in their career is folly.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Tim Thomas was a tier 2 goalie, age 25 putting up sub .900 on the Detroit Vipers, and then he was the best goalie in the world with his name on the cup. Goalies are voodoo and getting excited by them at any stage in their career is folly.
Like I said, statwise Nikita Tolopino is what we might get. Maybe better, maybe worse, but with goalies a free lottery ticket is a free lottery ticket.

Reactions: joescores

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You can't just look at raw stats and deem them "just okay" just because that's how they are in other leagues. Those "just okay" stats are good enough for 4th in both SV% and GAA, only 1 goaltender is better in both GAA and SV%... Ignatjew also did that while seeing (by far) the most rubber in the league.

Maybe Dansk is gone and this guy & Murphy to share the AHL net
Possibly one of the 3 Russians as well

I'd still like to see us grab a CHL goalie with one of our 4th rnders
I generally prefer drafting goalies out of the USHL/NCAA or Europe since we don't need a minor league roster spot for them in 2 years time; but with where we are sitting in our goaltending cycling, a good CHL goalie may not be a bad idea.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Supposed to be a pretty weak year for goalies this draft anyways. Especially CHL goalies. Reyerson Leenders, who is supposedly one of the best CHL draft eligibles, lost his net to a ‘25 draft eligible.

I’m the furthest thing from a goalie expert, but I hope we don’t just use a pick on a goalie for the sake of it. If the scouts think there’s something there to like, then go for it.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I’m the furthest thing from a goalie expert, but I hope we don’t just use a pick on a goalie for the sake of it. If the scouts think there’s something there to like, then go for it.
Even goalie experts aren't goalie experts, because voodoo.

I'm okay with this, because 1) Goalies are voodoo. 2) Absolute workhorse (45 of his teams 52 games), 3) Saw the most TOI, the most shots, and was still top 5 in the league in every stat. 4) In the running for League MVP (2 years in a row now).

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Even goalie experts aren't goalie experts, because voodoo.

I'm okay with this, because 1) Goalies are voodoo. 2) Absolute workhorse (45 of his teams 52 games), 3) Saw the most TOI, the most shots, and was still top 5 in the league in every stat. 4) In the running for League MVP (2 years in a row now).
And 5) it'd be nice to have another late blooming star Finnish goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad