Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Freddie Hamilton (2 years, $612,500 - 1-way)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Weird person to be giving a 2 year 1 way deal to. This team seems to have some weird loyalty issues.

Probably to make the little brother happy, to motivate him

I am pretty sure Freddie means very little to them....it's not for a lot of money and if he can steal a job it saves them some cap space too

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why is a 2 year deal to a young player that was arguably the best player on Stockton last year a "weird loyalty issue"? He's locked up for close to the league minimum and is a solid player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Weird person to be giving a 2 year 1 way deal to. This team seems to have some weird loyalty issues.

Not overly concerned about the length. Damn near minimum contract; he makes Dougie more comfortable... I have no issues about this signing at all.

Hell, he sucks; send him to the minors, his cap means nothing; it's not my money that's going to him... Perfectly fine by me.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Why is a 2 year deal to a young player that was arguably the best player on Stockton last year a "weird loyalty issue"? He's locked up for close to the league minimum and is a solid player.

He's a waived fodder dime a dozen player, who at best is a 4th line player. Those are not the type of players teams give multi year contracts too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's a waived fodder dime a dozen player, who at best is a 4th line player. Those are not the type of players teams give multi year contracts too.
That's a pretty harsh view of a guy who is still so young that he will still be an RFA after the contract expires.

Would have you had an issue with the Flames giving a year contract to Agostino or Arnold?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's a pretty harsh view of a guy who is still so young that he will still be an RFA after the contract expires.

Would have you had an issue with the Flames giving a year contract to Agostino or Arnold?

Doubtful anyone would have. The Flames needed to clear out guys they deemed had no future here due to a lengthy evaluation process done Treliving and Burke since arriving here. They have drafted lots of guys and want room for their players. Hamilton was chosen over Shore and Arnold, it makes Dougie happy and he's earned it. The criticism is funny.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Doubtful anyone would have. The Flames needed to clear out guys they deemed had no future here due to a lengthy evaluation process done Treliving and Burke since arriving here. They have drafted lots of guys and want room for their players. Hamilton was chosen over Shore and Arnold, it makes Dougie happy and he's earned it. The criticism is funny.
Maybe the better question would have been asking of they complained when Ferland got a 2 year deal. They're just 3.5 months apart in age and Hamilton has been much more successful and consistent as a pro. I think calling him waiver fodder is a ridiculous statement that shows a general lack of knowledge about the player.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Maybe the better question would have been asking of they complained when Ferland got a 2 year deal. They're just 3.5 months apart in age and Hamilton has been much more successful and consistent as a pro. I think calling him waiver fodder is a ridiculous statement that shows a general lack of knowledge about the player.
I agree - this is no different than Ferland getting a 2 year deal. Both had similar NHL stats at the time of signing.

:popcorn:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree - this is no different than Ferland getting a 2 year deal. Both had similar NHL stats at the time of signing.

:popcorn:
And Hamilton with far superior AHL numbers, plus for less money.

My point is people still hype Ferland as a future top 6 player but then get upset when a guy the same age gets a 2 year deal at close to they league minimum because he is "waiver fodder". It makes no sense.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Honestly, Freddie has better numbers in the CHL, and AHL than Ferland.

The fact that people continue to value Ferland largely based on a 9 game stretch in which he was clearly playing a game that is unsustainable over a full 82 games is laughable.

Actually, I kind of feel bad for Ferland setting such a high expectation for himself with that playoff stretch amongst some people which he will have a real tough time living up to

This is by no means a slight to Ferland, he's a good hockey player but he's not going to be the player he showed in the playoffs for prolonged stretches, the sooner people realize that the better.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Defends Hamilton. Uses Ferland as comparison.

Loathes the Ferland contract. Hilarious. not a top 15 prospect :sarcasm:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1950785) No bias :sarcasm:

They should have signed Ferly for 6 years if they could have at that AAV. Haters gonna hate.
Stop trolling and read your own links. My main issue was the salary in year 2 and and the subsequent QO it would result in. Had Ferland signed for an AAV of $612,500 you wouldn't have heard a peep because that is about what he deserved to be paid.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I don't see why anyone would care about 2 years. Hell, I wouldn't give a **** if they gave him an 8 year deal if it was under 700k. It's 100% buriable in the minors, it's of no consequence

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Here is the difference betwern Freddie Hamilton and Micheal Ferland.

If one gets waived, he will be in the minors and the Flames have to pay 600K to an AHLer.

If the other one gets waived, he will be on another NHL team and the Flames are off the hook for his salary.

That is why one gets paid more than the other one.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Defends Hamilton. Uses Ferland as comparison.

Loathes the Ferland contract. Hilarious. not a top 15 prospect :sarcasm:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1950785) No bias :sarcasm:

They should have signed Ferly for 6 years if they could have at that AAV. Haters gonna hate.

If you are gonna play it that way, I'm sure we can go through some of your more outlandish posts around Ferland after the playoffs and you can have some egg too...

You also are making a huge assumption that Ferland would have signed for 6 years at that AAV...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00