Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Danny Taylor

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It was explained multiple times. Neither goalie had outright taken the role, and it was the last possible opportunity to waive one to finalize the roster, so in order to get that last day of evaluation in, they had to put both on waivers. And don't act like Feaster is a moron, I'm sure he did his research and seen that there was almost a 0% chance either got claimed unless the team that claimed them was fine with running with 3 goalies up.

I don't act like it - I'm convinced that he isn't capable of running an NHL team.

Not having an NHL - contract goalie in Abbotsford is simply sloppy, stupid and bad management. If he had one contract goalie in the A it would have taken one phone call and a recall and this could have happened in 5 minutes. Feaster couldn't work that efficiently and had to go through a last minute free agent signing.

Again, the Flames need a new GM and a new approach.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
:laugh: He won it on the last day when they played against each other it was obvious he won it. So few teams could claim either that it was a calculated risk but then again you think the flames are lying about how long kipper will be out.

From what I have heard in the media the team is still awaiting tests. He's only day to day because the doctor's have yet to make a final determination.

So I wouldn't call it lying. "Spinning" and "concealing" would probably be better terms.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't act like it - I'm convinced that he isn't capable of running an NHL team.

Not having an NHL - contract goalie in Abbotsford is simply sloppy, stupid and bad management. If he had one contract goalie in the A it would have taken one phone call and a recall and this could have happened in 5 minutes. Feaster couldn't work that efficiently and had to go through a last minute free agent signing.

So it's sloppy, stupid and bad management that instead of a 5 minute phone call, it took 15 minutes and a couple of faxes to sign Taylor to a contact?

:facepalm:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Lol, Feaster himself stated that he had talked to both Taylor and Brust's agents after trading Karllson and he knew if need be, he could get one under contract. He had Taylor done and signed within hours of Kipper going down. Seems to me you just want something to troll about.. Go ahead tell us more stuff you have no clue about

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So it's sloppy, stupid and bad management that instead of a 5 minute phone call, it took 15 minutes and a couple of faxes to sign Taylor to a contact?

:facepalm:

From what I read it took longer than that.

Again, there's no reason why Brust and Taylor couldn't be on NHL contracts for just this reason. I don't know why people think it's that irresponsible to have 5 out of 50 contracts dedicated to goaltending.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Lol, Feaster himself stated that he had talked to both Taylor and Brust's agents after trading Karllson and he knew if need be, he could get one under contract. He had Taylor done and signed within hours of Kipper going down.

What's easier - a five minute phone call recalling a contracted player or going through the "hours" long free agent signing process?

Last edited:

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
What's easier - a five minute phone call recalling a contracted player or going through the "hours" long free agent signing process?
There was never a problem. Why don't you talk about something that's an actual issue instead of lowering your own credibility by droning on about something inconsequential like this. :help:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
There was never a problem. Why don't you talk about something that's an actual issue instead of lowering your own credibility by droning on about something inconsequential like this. :help:

So discussing signs of bad management in a multimillion dollar organization many care passionately about is inconsequential.

OK - My bad.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
So discussing signs of bad management in a multimillion dollar organization many care passionately about is inconsequential.

OK - My bad.
That's not what you're doing, you make it sound like he needs to be fired because of this incident. You have to understand noone can take you seriously. It's okay to have issues with Feaster but this is something else.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

OK - My bad.

No, harping on one thing about an organization is inconsequential. The only discussion points made are that it is not league norm to carry 10 percent of your contracts in goalies. It wasn't hard to sign a backup, considering we have 2 capable ahl kids ready to go. I'll bet it took 30 minutes tops, not hours. So please leave your trolling to the other boards

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Is this a serious post?

Surely, no one can be this short sighted.

We should have 50 players signed to contracts at all times based on your logic. Much easier than signing someone when an injury arises right? :help:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
From what I have heard in the media the team is still awaiting tests. He's only day to day because the doctor's have yet to make a final determination.

So I wouldn't call it lying. "Spinning" and "concealing" would probably be better terms.

No when they say day to day they mean he is out around a week maybe 2 at the most. When Sven got hurt he was week to week meaning 3 weeks to a month. There is no concealing here it is what it is about a week.

OK - My bad.

How is this bad management we essentially had 2 goalies we could call up at any time but didn't have to burn a contract on them, it made them work harder on the heat to prove who should get called up and gave us flexibility with trades and signings if we needed, all this shows is your looking for something to complain about.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
From what I read it took longer than that.

Again, there's no reason why Brust and Taylor couldn't be on NHL contracts for just this reason. I don't know why people think it's that irresponsible to have 5 out of 50 contracts dedicated to goaltending.
Whether it's 5 minutes or 5 hours, who gives a ****? You act as if it is your time being wasted...

ANY team could have signed either Taylor or Brust to an NHL contract - the Flames didn't own either of their rights. However, nobody did.

Why burn 1 of 50 contracts (when the team's sitting on what, 48 contracts now?) on a guy who might not see an NHL ice surface except in a dire emergency? Wouldn't that be worse management?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
How is this bad management we essentially had 2 goalies we could call up at any time but didn't have to burn a contract on them, it made them work harder on the heat to prove who should get called up and gave us flexibility with trades and signings if we needed, all this shows is your looking for something to complain about.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Wait, I pretty much did :laugh:.

Pretty obvious why he's here, hello ignore list, I'm done

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I think since Feaster officially became the GM of this club he has been doing great. This little goalie situation seemed odd at first, with placing both Irving and Karlsson on waivers at the same time.. Bad management? I don't think so.. Clearly Feaster took a risk in which we could've lost both goalies, but im sure he knew that the chance of that happening is highly unlikely and as we saw, they both cleared. You can argue that it was idiotic to bring it to that point but IMO I think its a little wakeup call to both the goalies that they need to step it up, and while its still early, Irving seems to be responding well as he had a solid 3rd period vs the wings.

Feaster has done all the right things IMO, and im glad he's in charge. Maybe the Regehr trade could've been better but you can't win every trade. Other trades and signings that he's done is looking good so far and so is our drafting (Although we must give alot of the credit to Weisbrod, but Feaster brought him in). Bringing in Hartley is also looking like a good move but again its all too early to judge so we gota wait things out a bit.

Also one last thing, for those criticizing Feaster because he's still trying to be competitive and not rebuilding, you really can't accuse him for this. You don't know the details, for all we know Feaster might want to rebuild, and the Ownership wants to keep our fan favorites (Iggy, Kipper). So with the approach that Ownership wants him to take, he's been doing a great job.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think since Feaster officially became the GM of this club he has been doing great. This little goalie situation seemed odd at first, with placing both Irving and Karlsson on waivers at the same time.. Bad management? I don't think so.. Clearly Feaster took a risk in which we could've lost both goalies, but im sure he knew that the chance of that happening is highly unlikely and as we saw, they both cleared. You can argue that it was idiotic to bring it to that point but IMO I think its a little wakeup call to both the goalies that they need to step it up, and while its still early, Irving seems to be responding well as he had a solid 3rd period vs the wings.

Feaster has done all the right things IMO, and im glad he's in charge. Maybe the Regehr trade could've been better but you can't win every trade. Other trades and signings that he's done is looking good so far and so is our drafting (Although we must give alot of the credit to Weisbrod, but Feaster brought him in). Bringing in Hartley is also looking like a good move but again its all too early to judge so we gota wait things out a bit.

Also one last thing, for those criticizing Feaster because he's still trying to be competitive and not rebuilding, you really can't accuse him for this. You don't know the details, for all we know Feaster might want to rebuild, and the Ownership wants to keep our fan favorites (Iggy, Kipper). So with the approach that Ownership wants him to take, he's been doing a great job.

I agree with this, Feaster has admitted that his problems in Tampa were because he trusted the wrong people, he isn't a hockey mind per say so he leans heavily on the opinions of his scouts and staff, this time he has brought in alot of good people and since his first offseason as GM I don't really have any problems with what he has done.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm 50/50 on Feaster. I think if his draft picks pan out better than Sutter's and he doesn't get fleeced on anymore trades, I'll be happy. I hope he continues to look to the KHL and Colleges as ways to obtain assets in addition to the draft and free agency. Hopefully then we can find some good pieces in our cupboards as well as our rosters

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think all the Feaster hate is even remotely warranted, when we go through all the things he's done since officially being named the GM of the Flames, I don't think that there's any doubt he's done a great job in making us a faster, younger, better team than we were 2 years ago.

Drafted Baertschi out of left field
Signed Czervenka, Hudler, Wideman
Traded a declining(At the time) Bourque for Cammo (Who I believe needed time to find his game after not playing all lock-out) and potentially our next starting goalie Ramo
Restocked our extremely barren prospect cupboards with good young prospects that have some real upside (Granlund, Gaudreau, Gillies, Brossoit, Jankowski, Reinhart)
He's created an environment where our young stars have an opportunity to succeed
AND Finally and Most importantly he Hired a coach that makes players feel confident in their abilities and allows them to go out there and be creative and develop their skills while at the same time developing a winning attitude.

So when people say he's a bad GM, give your heads a shake for goodness sakes.

AND Just maybe, Just maybe, he doesn't want to trade his captain, not because of what he's useful for on other teams, but realizes that in order to create a winning team/environment you NEED veteran leadership that have been to the big show for goodness sakes.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I don't think all the Feaster hate is even remotely warranted, when we go through all the things he's done since officially being named the GM of the Flames, I don't think that there's any doubt he's done a great job in making us a faster, younger, better team than we were 2 years ago.

Drafted Baertschi out of left field
Signed Czervenka, Hudler, Wideman
Traded a declining(At the time) Bourque for Cammo (Who I believe needed time to find his game after not playing all lock-out) and potentially our next starting goalie Ramo
Restocked our extremely barren prospect cupboards with good young prospects that have some real upside (Granlund, Gaudreau, Gillies, Brossoit, Jankowski, Reinhart)
He's created an environment where our young stars have an opportunity to succeed
AND Finally and Most importantly he Hired a coach that makes players feel confident in their abilities and allows them to go out there and be creative and develop their skills while at the same time developing a winning attitude.

So when people say he's a bad GM, give your heads a shake for goodness sakes.

AND Just maybe, Just maybe, he doesn't want to trade his captain, not because of what he's useful for on other teams, but realizes that in order to create a winning team/environment you NEED veteran leadership that have been to the big show for goodness sakes.

You forgot the Regehr trade, which was probably his worst move seeing as we probably could've got more in return. But im not to pissed about it because hes doing a lot of things right so he gets my thumbs up

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Whether it's 5 minutes or 5 hours, who gives a ****? You act as if it is your time being wasted...

ANY team could have signed either Taylor or Brust to an NHL contract - the Flames didn't own either of their rights. However, nobody did.

Why burn 1 of 50 contracts (when the team's sitting on what, 48 contracts now?) on a guy who might not see an NHL ice surface except in a dire emergency? Wouldn't that be worse management?

Mike Jones isn't completly wrong. You can basically call it good and bad management at the same time! Not signing someone like Taylor, who was only needed in case of an emergency, might look like a good move. However, Feaster probably didn't always use that logic because the Flames currently have 48 players under contract (couting Taylor) which means that a bunch of contracts are currently "burned" on players that probably won't ever play in the NHL.

Also by not having Brust under contract, there is a risk that he gets stolen by another team.

Apparently, he is gone to play in Italy

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
You forgot the Regehr trade, which was probably his worst move seeing as we probably could've got more in return. But im not to pissed about it because hes doing a lot of things right so he gets my thumbs up

True he may have gotten more, but witnessing the severe decline in Reghers play since being in buffalo I'm still gonna call that trade a win lol.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Mike Jones isn't completly wrong. You can basically call it good and bad management the same time! Not signing someone like Taylor, who was only needed in case of an emergency, might look like a good move. However, Feaster probably didn't always use that logic because the Flames currently have 48 players under contract (couting Taylor) which means that a bunch of contracts are currently "burned" on players that probably won't ever play in the NHL.

Also by not having Brust under contract, there is a risk that he gets stolen by another team.

Apparently, he is gone to play in Italy

You are far more likely to lose players than goalies, that's why you keep so many of them under contract, 18 players play in every single game, while only 1 goalie does. Just gotta go with the odds on that one.

If he gets taken by another team, that is absolutely wonderful for him, and congratulations for it, however, he obviously doesn't see it as a great risk, or the even more likely scenario, doesn't really care, we have a TON of goaltending assets why waste contracts when you have a limited number on a goalie way down on your depth charts.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
You are far more likely to lose players than goalies, that's why you keep so many of them under contract, 18 players play in every single game, while only 1 goalie does. Just gotta go with the odds on that one.

Not really, you can easily fill your farm team by signing skaters to AHL SPCs or PTOs (like Laing, McCarthy etc,)

If he gets taken by another team, that is absolutely wonderful for him, and congratulations for it, however, he obviously doesn't see it as a great risk, or the even more likely scenario, doesn't really care, we have a TON of goaltending assets why waste contracts when you have a limited number on a goalie way down on your depth charts

Well, if another goaltender goes down the next in line to get called up is Brust. He is not that far down the depth chart.

I agree chances are low that we'll see Brust wearing a flames jersey this year, however, down the road he is closer to the NHL than players that were apparently "worthy" of a NHL contract like Bryan Cameron, Gaelan Patterson, David Eddy, Ryan Howse etc. etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad