Confirmed with Link: Flames sign D Douglas Murray to PTO ~ Update: PTO Expired, Released from the Team

May 27, 2012
Earth
PM me some proof so you can be vetted. :sarcasm:

57e6b621d92b1ca90bd7491ee3bc127a.jpg

This is all the proof you need,bae.

Aug 3, 2010
Not sure that this was needed, even with Smid out. I know it's just a PTO but it also means it's not even a depth signing because as I understand, Murray isn't even eligible for playoffs.

Not sure why Wotherspoon isn't getting more love here, other than Adirondack making their playoff push if I recall correctly.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not sure that this was needed, even with Smid out. I know it's just a PTO but it also means it's not even a depth signing because as I understand, Murray isn't even eligible for playoffs.

Not sure why Wotherspoon isn't getting more love here, other than Adirondack making their playoff push if I recall correctly.
They probably don't think he is ready.

Aug 3, 2010
They probably don't think he is ready.

I'm not trying to imply undermined confidence in Wotherspoon by the Flames brass by any means, but simply insinuating that Murray is the literal definition of a warm body.

Also, I forgot about Potter. :laugh:

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Just drop by to say that I like the move. I like Murray, he was far from a good player and has not improved. He is a role-player, a shrinking role in hockey. Yeah, a warm-body...

Still, he has done some entertaining stuff over the years which anyone who loves hockey appreciate.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
It's so we can call up Wotherspoon if need be and not leave the AHL team without a top pairing DMan.

That's what I think.

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
I'm sorry to burst the bubble but his youth team Djurgården refused to sign him when he declined other offers from SHL teams. They said they couldn't give him a contract just for his icon status.

When Brynäs was looking for defenders they got the question about Murray, Brynäs GM responded: "I saw him in Allsvenskan (2nd tier league in Sweden) three seasons ago and it was not a pretty sight".

He's supposed to be slower than ever, but if you get that choo choo train going he'll hit hard.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I'm sorry to burst the bubble but his youth team Djurgården refused to sign him when he declined other offers from SHL teams. They said they couldn't give him a contract just for his icon status.

When Brynäs was looking for defenders they got the question about Murray, Brynäs GM responded: "I saw him in Allsvenskan (2nd tier league in Sweden) three seasons ago and it was not a pretty sight".

He's supposed to be slower than ever, but if you get that choo choo train going he'll hit hard.

He's just here for experience I think. He's played 75 playoff games, more than anyone on the Flames

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I kind of eluded to this before, and take it for what its worth but I was just listening to the radio and Derek Wills was speculating that Wotherspoon may be slightly falling out of favour with the Flames. I've watched 1 or 2 Adirondack games this year so I personally cannot comment on his play. Apparently Treliving was on talking about the Murray PTO (I did not hear Treliving and it's not on demand yet). Wills said though that if Culkin had not been hurt, that it's sounds like it would of been likely that he got an opportunity with what has happened with injuries. This comment was made based off of what Treliving said.

They did say the Flames appear to be comfortable with Wotherspoon, but I've also been feeling that something may be a little off. Wills literally follows the Flames every where, and while he's not privy to management conversations, I'm sure he picks up little drops of info here and there. Once the Treliving interview goes up I'm going to listen to it and see if anything sounds more clear based on Treliving's comments. Again, that comment was pure speculation by Wills, but if there's anyone's comments I would pay remote attention to, it would be Wills based on what his job his.

Personally, I get the impression that the Flames have not soured at all on Wotherspoon, but I do believe they expected a lot more out of him this season. I mean, Poirier has even got in some games which to me shows they clearly don't mind getting a look at players that are ready. There's been definite opportunity for a young guy to get some action on our blueline this year, but the fact that he hasn't even got a sniff this is somewhat telling that he's not there yet. The reason I find this odd is because last year I thought he looked incredibly poised.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Personally, I get the impression that the Flames have not soured at all on Wotherspoon, but I do believe they expected a lot more out of him this season. I mean, Poirier has even got in some games which to me shows they clearly don't mind getting a look at players that are ready. There's been definite opportunity for a young guy to get some action on our blueline this year, but the fact that he hasn't even got a sniff this is somewhat telling that he's not there yet. The reason I find this odd is because last year I thought he looked incredibly poised.

I agree, I think they really wanted Wotherspoon to earn a regular NHL spot but I find it strange that they didn't play him one game. I haven't seen enough baby flames games to comment but he may have not stepped up his play this year

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Didn't expect him to ever play a game with us.
I think the signings of Morrison and that other fellow to ATOs made a difference. I think we could have extended Murray's tryout but with the extra bodies on the farm it's easier to call up TSpoon or Cundari

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the signings of Morrison and that other fellow to ATOs made a difference. I think we could have extended Murray's tryout but with the extra bodies on the farm it's easier to call up TSpoon or Cundari

Yeah like, no harm no foul. I just didn't think he had the foot speed to play, the league gets quicker every year. I think Treliving is a guy that really does his diligence and always has a back up plan. I think you're right, and as soon as we were able to sign some youth that then Murray became expendable.

And yikes, could of imagined a prime Murray/Regehr pairing?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah like, no harm no foul. I just didn't think he had the foot speed to play, the league gets quicker every year. I think Treliving is a guy that really does his diligence and always has a back up plan. I think you're right, and as soon as we were able to sign some youth that then Murray became expendable.

And yikes, could of imagined a prime Murray/Regehr pairing?
I think so too. We were in a tough spot in the AHL there, if we had to call up someone else they'd have been pooched there for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad