Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Backlund 6 years x 5.35M

Discussion in 'Calgary Flames' started by Ferkland, Feb 16, 2018.

1. crackdown44

crackdown44 Registered User

Basically this. I just don’t want him going out and giving term and money to a FA winger that might be a question mark like Brouwer. I think he’s learned from that though and if he targets a winger it would be through trade and a player with 2-3 years tops left on a reasonable deal

2. Mobiandi

Mobiandi Seanny Gaudreau

Man remember the Sutter days when all we would do is acquire good wingers to make up for our lack of centre depth: Cammalleri, Borque, Huselius, Tanguay, Amonte, Nolan, Glencross, Bertuzzi.

Now we finally have our centres locked down, and all we need is that one winger to push us over the top.

3. Baxterman

Baxterman Registered User

The Sutter mentality that built the best teams we have had in awhile and much more success than we have experienced outside the Cup win?

The problem with adding to what you have is that we don't have space to add to it. We are pretty much stuck with what we have plus adding a few (likely bad) secondary pieces.

4. Baxterman

You think the Calgary Flames have the best cap management the NHL?

I am not sure they are in the top half.

5. Volica

Volica Southern AB Dandy

Under 38 million tied up into your top two lines and your elite top pairing; with only 1 ELC in the batch. The rest signed long term. Yeah. That's pretty good.

6. Lazar Beams

Lazar Beams The Iron Price

Frickin' Lazar Beams
    Why?

Cyrano likes this.
  7. Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville The Return of a Legend

Manager
    Yes I would agree that we have the best cap managed team with regards to having our core locked down.

8. Baxterman

First thing would be I think they are likely in a middle group between 10-20 teams that are all pretty similar. I think it is pretty tough to nail down exactly where teams are in terms of cap management so saying team a is 12th and team b is 13th is for the most part based on pretty minor things so I personally would likely group teams together.

As for issues I have with the Calgary group is that we are near to the cap and have been and produced very mediocre results.

We have a very expensive d core that still has question marks. We have questionable contracts in Brouwer, Stajan and Stone.

Perhaps some may put it on player management but it seems we are about 15th in the league in cap and 15th in the league in the standings. That seems to be about average in cap management not top in the league.

I mean Tampa is right with us in terms of spending, I would love to hear an argument that has us at better cap management than them. They seem to have managed their cap and contracts brilliantly to maintain a competitive team.

9. SmellOfVictory

SmellOfVictory Registered User

Sutter's only major success as a GM was prior to the cap. During the cap era, he created a team that made the playoffs frequently, but could never make it past the first round.

10. Baxterman

Well one of those was because of a Huseilius crossbar but that's hockey and other teams have missed moving on for close calls as well.

I don't think he is great just not nearly as bad as some Flames fans like to paint him. He was certainly lightyears better than Feaster and I think the jury is out as to whether Treliving is better.

11. Calculon

Calculon unholy acting talent

The only success Sutter had with the teams he built were when he coached them. Otherwise they were never anything more than bubble playoff teams squeaking in as the 7th or 8th place at the very end.

The Flames have 63.2M committed to 16 players for next season with only Kulak, Jankowski and Rittich as key depth pieces that need to be re-signed. Assuming those three sign for a combined 5M or less, Treliving will have almost 12M for a 7th defenceman and three fourth liners, In other words, there's plenty of cap space to bring in a top scorer; the myth that they can't needs to stop.

Cyrano likes this.
  12. Method Man

Method Man Bring the Pain Sponsor

We won a division title with Sutter as GM and Playfair as head coach. I'm not sure how that is "never anything more than a bubble playoff team playoff team"

13. Baxterman

3 fourth liners? So Brouwer is playing higher than the 4th line, ouch that is a bad team in that case.

And excusing years that Sutter teams had success because he was the coach seems convenient. Squeaking in as the 7th and 8th place team seems very familiar now and looking ahead to the future.

14. SmellOfVictory

SmellOfVictory Registered User

He had some strengths, such as making decent value trades (Tanguay, Cammalleri), but his cap management was not great, and his drafting was rough for the first half of his tenure as GM. Treliving's cap management is better, and drafting under him has been improved, although the two of them do have some interesting shared weaknesses (favouring overpaid bottom end of the roster meat/potatoes type players).

15. crackdown44

Agree to disagree. Vegas is an anomaly, California teams are trending down (except maybe Anaheim) and Edmonton is a toss up whether or not they’ll bounce back. Calgary looks to be one of the few teams trending in the right direction in the division.

16. Skobel24

Skobel24 #Ignited

Attending University
    Thank you. Damn near every player on that team is having a career year.

Is Marchessault really an 85 point forward?
    Is Perron really an 85 point forward?
    Is William Karlsson really going to shoot at nearly 25-30% in his career?
    Are Smith and Haula really capable of maining a 60-70ish point pace?

17. Calculon

Division win was 2005-2006, D.Sutter's last year as coach. Playfair's one and only season was 2006-2007 where he managed an 8th place finish in the West, 8 points behind 7th.
    Yeah, not the point. The Flames have plenty of space, that's the point; more than enough to fit in a top-nine offensive piece. Obviously a bunch of press box fodder won't cost the team 12M; in other words.
    Excusing? Again, missed point. Sutter built teams were nothing special because he was an antiquated dinosaur that didn't understand things like depth, or speed or skill and couldn't stop flip flopping between offensively porous teams and defensive bore fests. He managed one unsustainable and unrepeatable cinderalla run and grinded out a single division title over his tenure as coach. As GM, bubble playoff teams and nothing more. And all that with Iginla and Kiprusoff in their primes.

Yes, the current itiration of the Flames are a similar bubble playoff team however all of Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, Ferland, Hamilton, Bennett, and Jankowski are younger than Iginla was in 2005-2006. There's plenty of room for growth on this team whether you accept it or not.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Wish You Were Here likes this.
  18. Baxterman

I am not missing the point. The teams may have been nothing special but by your definition that describes most NHL teams. He is a better GM than you are giving him credit for.

As for the growth of this team as I said I would love to see where it is coming from.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland, Hamilton may all be younger than Iginla was but are they likely to get better from where they are now?

How much better is Tkachuk likely to get? I think he certainly will improve but enough to move the team up a level? That is certainly in question.

And Jankowski is a 23 year old with a poor track record in his development and showing very little now. There is nothing to indicate he will be anything of use let alone developing into a guy that takes this team to the next step. NHL teams are littered with Jankowski's and the good ones have guys much better.

19. Calculon

I really don't know how you can think a bunch of guys in their early to mid twenties are finished products.

And Sutter did plenty of good things in his time but his legacy will forever be overrated because of what he achieved as a coach in that cinderalla run. As a GM and GM only he was thoroughly mediocre and I'm glad we agree on that; that was my point entirely at the onset.

20. Baxterman

To the bolded line fair enough, I have seen many say he was a terrible GM and based on what you were saying I unfairly lumped you in with that group. I don't think Sutter was a great GM but I don't think he was as bad as some think.

I guess I don't see Monahan or Gaudreau suddenly developing great defensive games at this point so basically we are going off of their offensive production because that is the main aspect they bring and it seems that for many players today that offensive production peaks in the early to mid 20's.

Ferland is 100% reliant on Gaudreau and Monahan so I don't see much development in his game. He is already way overachieving and he doesn't have the skill to offer up much more than he currently does.

Hamilton is a little different because defensemen can take longer to develop but watching him play I just don't see how the defensive part of the game is going to improve.

21. Johnny Hoxville

Manager
    I personally think when Andersson, Valimaki, Fox and Kylington all the make the leap is when the Flames will hoist the Cup.

And Sutter was a much better GM than Feaster. Feaster gets credit for moving out poor contracts and drafting Gaudreau, which was on Button. Other than that, he was pretty brutal.

22. crackdown44

I think it’s next to impossible that all four of those guys ever dress in the same game

23. Johnny Hoxville

Manager
    I think Brodie and Stone will be gone. Valimaki will replace Brodie and Kylington will replace Kulak.

24. Lazar Beams

Lazar Beams The Iron Price

Frickin' Lazar Beams
    And convert Fox to RW

25. Fig

Fig Registered User

I've always believed Sutter's "bad moves" were actually good moves. He however suffered because his coaches didn't see eye to eye with him and had no idea how to use the roster that he acquired. I honestly believe that if we kept Sutter behind the bench, we win a cup. He had a vision how he wanted his team to work within his system. The coaches he hired all failed to bring that vision to reality.

Back on topic though, in about 3 years I see this at worst as Backlund paid 5.35 to play top 6 wing as an upgrade to Frolik. That's still pretty darn good.

I don't think he plays 3rd line unless we start trying to roll a top 9 similar to how Pittsburgh has Kessel on the 3rd line.