Confirmed with Link: Flames re-sign Kylington

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
In Stockton?
The deal is two-way.
I know you're down on him but Sutter had high praise for him and the Flames tried their best to hide him in favour of Nikita "bombscare" Nesterov without ever sending him down

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I know you're down on him but Sutter had high praise for him and the Flames tried their best to hide him in favour of Nikita "bombscare" Nesterov without ever sending him down
The Flames played a broken Monahan who could barely play in a push for the playoffs, there was no hiding him they liked Nesterov more than Kylington. Now maybe they have been able to use all that time to help him work on his game but at this point I doubt Kylington is in the plans as anything more than a 7th d man.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Surprised he even wanted to sign here again honestly.

Honestly I don't know if any other team will deploy him in the way he wants, he passed through waivers last year didn't he? He's a good player IMO with untapped potential but it seems that the organization (and the rest of the league) doesn't see him that way.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Surprised he even wanted to sign here again honestly.

He passed through waivers already.
And while this fanbase was melting down about him going to Seattle, I'm sure his name wasn't even in the mix for them.

If you reject your QO, you still remain an RFA with the team holding your rights.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm happy that the Flames re-signed him but I'm not sure its the best option for Kylington. As usual I think he'll have tough competition for one of those 3rd pairing spots.
Zadorov, Mackey, and Kylington will all be fighting for the same two spots, assuming that Kinnvall or Yelesin don't impress at training camp.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'm happy that the Flames re-signed him but I'm not sure its the best option for Kylington. As usual I think he'll have tough competition for one of those 3rd pairing spots.
Zadorov, Mackey, and Kylington will all be fighting for the same two spots, assuming that Kinnvall or Yelesin don't impress at training camp.
At this point Kylington's best options have to be trying to stick it out and beat Mackey or Valimaki/Zadorov for the role on the left side (presuming that's where they'll stick him) given his value around the league can't be that high, and other Treliving would likely want to wait for something worthwhile to trade him. Seems like a much better option to stick it through and hope something opens up in Calgary/he earns a spot, and if that doesn't happen go around the open market for someone that'll give him a shot.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
At $3 million+ (most likely) Zadorov won't be competing for anything. They didn't bring him in to be at replacement level.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Kylington ready for expanded role after re-signing with Flames | Calgary Sun

“I think they want me back for a reason,” Kylington said. “Whatever happened last year, to be honest with you I don’t know but I don’t want to dwell on that too much. I just want to give my best and show that I can play for real and be an impact (player) for this team.
“I’m feeling more ready than ever now."
Translation: Nesterov? Really?
“Yeah, I love, actually, the way we play and the way Darryl wants us to play,” Kylington said. “Those games I played under Darryl, I felt really good, so I mean, I think our system fits me really good and I just want to make an impact and adapt my style of play.”
Said it before but the Flames have something special with a guy with Kylington's skillset but also his mentality. Dude is a gamer and he'll surprise a lot of people this year if he gets the rope. I think Darryl will give it to him now that we're done with expansion

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
What's happening with guys like Yelesin & Lerby? Add in Welinski, Poolman, Kuznetsov, Desimone, Hamilton & Leslie, and maybe that Swede Kinnvall
Should be some good Dmen on the farm this year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kylington ready for expanded role after re-signing with Flames | Calgary Sun

Translation: Nesterov? Really?

Said it before but the Flames have something special with a guy with Kylington's skillset but also his mentality. Dude is a gamer and he'll surprise a lot of people this year if he gets the rope. I think Darryl will give it to him now that we're done with expansion

I'd like to see him with a stable job on the team.
I honestly do think they underplayed him because of expansion in a lost season. Also sitting him after his mistakes could have been the exclamation point on it "This guy makes mistakes that the coach will literally never player him again this season."

Look, he's not a 1D, PPQB elite player like you and a few other people are making him out to be; but having a good skating guy who could pick up some points back there wouldn't hurt this team. You can live with his horrible defensive side if his offensive side compensates for it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Look, he's not a 1D, PPQB elite player like you and a few other people are making him out to be; but having a good skating guy who could pick up some points back there wouldn't hurt this team. You can live with his horrible defensive side if his offensive side compensates for it.
Even if Kylington tops out as a flawed #4 guy, I'll take that and run. Some diversity in the defense's skillset is preferable over rolling out:

Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov-Andersson
Valimaki-Mackey/Stone

Rather have guys that are error-prone but can score over guys that only contribute to the team's success when they play mistake-free hockey. Plus our PP is a disaster and I'm certain Ollie could help iron that out. How nice would it be to have another guy that can skate it in other than Gaudreau

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just want to see the kid play, think he's earned a real shot at being a regular this season. He was always a long term project and the Flames and Kyller himself have done a good job of being patient with his development. Hopefully this is the year where that patience pays off.

I like Mackey too, think you could sub him in if you're playing a bigger team or if Olli has a couple tough games. Still expecting the Flames to sign Stone to a 2way deal as added insurance.

Ideally Juuso takes a step and can play top 4 minutes next season. The idea of a Zadorov-Andersson pairing does not spark joy.

Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Andersson
Kylington-Zadorov
Mackey
Stone

Start Kylington-Zadorov in the OZ against bottom 6 competition and I think Olli would put up good numbers. Zadorov takes net front duty in the DZ while Kyller pursues the puck carrier.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
What's happening with guys like Yelesin & Lerby? Add in Welinski, Poolman, Kuznetsov, Desimone, Hamilton & Leslie, and maybe that Swede Kinnvall
Should be some good Dmen on the farm this year.
Yelesin went back to Russia. Lerby's two year ELC is over, but was extended a qualifying offer. No word as to whether he has accepted it yet. Kinvall is supposed to be in Stockton this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad