Prospect Info: Flames prospect rankings: #4 RUNOFF POLL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
  1. Matthew Tkachuk (73.81%)
  2. Jon Gillies (54.00%)
  3. Mark Jankowski (54.39%)

Run-off rules:

• If first and second place are separated by a number of votes less than or equal to the number of votes for third place, a run-off vote will take place.
  • If first and third are separated by a number of votes less than or equal to the number of all other votes, a three-way run-off vote will take place.
  • Rules are subject to change due to common sense at all times.

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Shink for me. Just looks like an NHL player already. Hoping he finds a chemistry with Johnny and Mony

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Kylington for the 4th time.

Shink at 5, with Pribyl as a wildcard.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Shinkaruk this time. Still a risky player in my opinion but he has real top 6 upside. There are a couple other guys in our system with similar upside at forward, but none are as far along as Shink.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Stuck between Poirier, Shinkaruk and Kylington.... voting Kylington. He has highest upside. Poirier is the safest out of the 3.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Shinkurak for me, then Kylington/Anderssen.

After that it gets messy with Dube, Poirier, Klimchuk, Pollock, Hickey, McDonald, Wotherspoon and maybe even Mangiapane.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
@SKRusty, you said this in the last thread and its closed but I want to discuss it futher.

Stockton was a mess last year and all of that is not Huska's doing. The team was relocated and many of the resources (Trainers, therapists, and so forth) were not in place early on. Things will be much better this year.

If Huska doesn't right the ship early this year expect changes.

Overall I genuinely believe we need to stop moving around our affiliate what feels like every other years. Abbotsford was the longest one we've had in the past 10-15 years I believe.

While our drafting for a while wasn't great (and still hasn't produced outside of a few top talents yet) I really feel that us moving the AHL team around so much isn't helping development of our guys very much.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I go Kylington here all day long. Honestly I like him pretty much as much as Janko, but Janko is less risky. Oliver is going to be a stud, I think he will be as good as Brodie.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Really? Kylington over Tkachuk even?

And what has Pribyl, a guy who has never played a NA game done to be ranked higher than our other prospects? Just curious on your perspective.

I have had a lengthy hate-on with Tkachuk, I just don't see a top-line gamebreaking forward. At best, I'm projecting a top-line complimentary guy, which is still really good and better than what I'd project any of the other forward prospects as. I envision him being a great 2nd liner, but he will be lucky to be the 4th best forward on a cup contending team in his prime imo. I'm also still salty that the Flames passed on Keller/Nylander to draft him. That said, I hope he kills it and ends up being the best player in the NHL.

Kylington has displayed a tremendous ability to play above his age group and succeed. He's a fantastic athlete, and apart from injury, has been on an upward trajectory throughout his career. He does project to be a gamebreaker, but I'm not super confident he'll get there. Still he's got more potential to be an elite player than any of the other skaters the Flames have (goalies excluded, because voodoo), so that's why I have him at 1.

I think Pribyl can be a wildcard because he has displayed success at the pro level, albeit in a weaker league. The czech league has an equivalency of 0.74. So, assuming this is roughly right, Pribyl could be a 0.74*1(his czech league P/G)*82 = 60 point player in the NHL this season. Even if he is half as good as the projection, he'd still be a 30 point guy, which is a great third liner. I'm very disappointed that he needed surgery, because if he didn't I would have expected him to play top line from the start of the year, where I would have expected success. Pribyl has the production and the NHL-readiness to justify putting him ahead of most of the Flames' forward prospects.

EDIT: Found a more reasonable (imo) equivalency for the Czech league 0.44. So that would make Pribyl a 36 point player, which is more than I expect from any of the Flames' forward prospects this season. I'm hoping Shinkaruk can out do that, but I wouldn't bet on it.

2nd EDIT: Tkachuk and Mangiapane should both put up ~40 points in the NHL next season if they make the NHL. I don't think either does, for now.

Last edited:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Tkachuk and Mangiapane should both put up ~40 points in the NHL next season if they make the NHL. I don't think either does, for now.
Based on OHL data's of shots location/shooting%, Mangiapane has an NHL equivalent of 16 goal/year. If he gets a middle 6 icetime, no reason to believe he won't reach that number. He's less of a wildcard than Pribyl.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I saw Anglesmith try to debate the continued Kylington fetish on this board last thread, so I won't delve into it too much, particularly because I made my feelings on it pretty clear at the draft party.

Great prospect, I hope for great things from him, but I'm nowhere near as much in love with him as everyone else seems to be.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Kylington for the fourth time too. Way too many get caught up in the 'oh, he fell in the draft? Then he must be terrible because scouts are never wrong' mentality. His talent alone puts him in consideration for top prospect while the lack substance over his supposed issues cements it.

After this, Hickey, Andersson and then a drop off into the third tier of Shinkaruk, Poirier, Kulak, Fox, and Wotherspoon.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Kylington for the fourth time too. Way too many get caught up in the 'oh, he fell in the draft? Then he must be terrible because scouts are never wrong' mentality. His talent alone puts him in consideration for top prospect while the lack substance over his supposed issues cements it.

After this, Hickey, Andersson and then a drop off into the third tier of Shinkaruk, Poirier, Kulak, Fox, and Wotherspoon.

Or some people aren't voting based solely off of potential. I also base my vote off the likelihood that they reach that potential as well.

By that same logic "too many people are in love with how highly he was ranked heading into the season and can't see his flaws or the fact he may never reach his potential".

Not sure what Shinkurak has done to be put in the same tier as Poirier (or maybe the other way around). Poirier has not lived up to expectations even in the AHL yet, while Shinkurak has done well in the AHL and impressed in the NHL.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

You could say the same of Shinkaruk though.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Can't go wrong with Kylington or Shinkaruk here. I went with Shinkaruk here because I like his ceiling as a top 6 forward, and think the likelihood he reaches his absolute ceiling is greater than Kylington. Still, I think Kylington showed enough last year to considerably drop his "bust factor", so I like him here too. Tough choice, very close.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Poirier had a stellar rookie season in the AHL; a better debut then Shinkaruk. Last season was tougher but the whole team was a mess of sorts. And Shinkaruk got opportunities in the top six that were never afforded to Poirier. The difference between them is negligible.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Poirier had a stellar rookie season in the AHL; a better debut then Shinkaruk. Last season was tougher but the whole team was a mess of sorts. And Shinkaruk got opportunities in the top six that were never afforded to Poirier. The difference between them is negligible.

The move to Cali really messed with the development of some players. It can be in part attributed to the NHL's fast tracking of the teams based in California.

I am happy to see Agistino, Grant, and Raymond moved out so the real prospects can be used in roles that they need to master. I expect Poirier and Klimchuck to benefit the most from the stability and roster spots opened up.

On paper the Heat look very formidable but only time will tell the real truth.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Or some people aren't voting based solely off of potential. I also base my vote off the likelihood that they reach that potential as well.

By that same logic "too many people are in love with how highly he was ranked heading into the season and can't see his flaws or the fact he may never reach his potential".

Not sure what Shinkurak has done to be put in the same tier as Poirier (or maybe the other way around). Poirier has not lived up to expectations even in the AHL yet, while Shinkurak has done well in the AHL and impressed in the NHL.

Honestly though, the pros and potential to his game vastly outweigh his holes which has been overstated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad