Players and their impact in the next 3 years IMO:

1. Jankowski
2. Kylington
3. Gilles
4. Pribyl
5. Tkachuk
6. Poirier
7. Shinkaruk
8. Wotherspoon (Most likely to be Hamilton's partner)
9. Andersson
10. E2

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Players and their impact in the next 3 years IMO:

1. Jankowski
2. Kylington
3. Gilles
4. Pribyl
5. Tkachuk
6. Poirier
7. Shinkaruk
8. Wotherspoon (Most likely to be Hamilton's partner)
9. Andersson
10. E2

Pribyl above Tkachuk??

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Pribyl above Tkachuk??

For the next three years yes. Tkachuk needs to fill out and improve his skating and get up to pace in the NHL. Long term Tkachuk is way more valuable.

PS. I think Tkachuk will be back in Junior next season.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Tough one between Jankowski and Kylington for me... Went with Jankowski just because he's more of sure thing at this point.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Kylington for the third time. I can't decide between shink and janko though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I said it last year, and I'll say it again... I don't understand the Kylington hype. What do we know that NHL scouts don't? Through two rounds, NHL organizations didn't want him, and we know he's got some pretty massive holes in his defensive game. With 12 points in 47 games last year, it's not like we've got some rare-talent offensive scoring machine, either.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Bizarre authoritarian way of looking at it. Through almost three rounds, no wanted Gillies either. Shinkaruk was given up by an organization desperate for offensive talent. And so on.

Read Burke, Treliving's and Flames' scouts opinions on Kylington. They really do nothing but rave about his ability. And Kylington held his own as an 18 year old in the AHL; that's not exactly a common feat.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I said it last year, and I'll say it again... I don't understand the Kylington hype. What do we know that NHL scouts don't? Through two rounds, NHL organizations didn't want him, and we know he's got some pretty massive holes in his defensive game. With 12 points in 47 games last year, it's not like we've got some rare-talent offensive scoring machine, either.
In defense of Kylington he grew a great deal through last year and the holes aren't nearly as bad as they were made out to be. It's also prudent to remember that he was probably (I'm 99% sure he was) the youngest player in the AHL and one of just a small handful of players under the age of 20. His skating and hockey sense are off the charts, the biggest questions around him were coachabilty and attitude; neither of which were a problem. 12 points from an 18 year old defenseman in the AHL is nothing to sneeze at.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bizarre authoritarian way of looking at it. Through almost three rounds, no wanted Gillies either. Shinkaruk was given up by an organization desperate for offensive talent. And so on.

Read Burke, Treliving's and Flames' scouts opinions on Kylington. They really do nothing but rave about his ability. And Kylington held his own as an 18 year old in the AHL; that's not exactly a common feat.

He did hold his own in the AHL, yeah, but I think I'd have to question whether he stuck there as a result of management's promise to have him play there. Did he just survive the season, or was he a difference maker?

I'm not saying to use draft position as the be-all and end-all, but it's a starting point for large sample-size professional opinions on a player on his draft day. After that point, a player can raise or lower his stock through his play (like Gillies has since being drafted). Management talking up a prospect is pretty common.

I'm just not sure that Kylington's one year has really changed much. His holes are still holes. In dev camp, you still had people noticing him get out of position and run around in his own end. But really, my comments stem from the fact that the hype was equally over-the-top last season, and has carried over now to this season.

We'll see, though. I do hope he's the next Karlsson.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He did hold his own in the AHL, yeah, but I think I'd have to question whether he stuck there as a result of management's promise to have him play there. Did he just survive the season, or was he a difference maker?

I'm not saying to use draft position as the be-all and end-all, but it's a starting point for large sample-size professional opinions on a player on his draft day. After that point, a player can raise or lower his stock through his play (like Gillies has since being drafted). Management talking up a prospect is pretty common.

I'm just not sure that Kylington's one year has really changed much. His holes are still holes. In dev camp, you still had people noticing him get out of position and run around in his own end. But really, my comments stem from the fact that the hype was equally over-the-top last season, and has carried over now to this season.

Was he a difference maker? At times he was actually. Not all the time or consistently, but his play as an 18 year old was pretty admirable. He made his share of mistakes for sure, but he grew defensively and did everything asked of him.

Development camp is a joke for evaluating players. They had 1 scrimmage, you can't tell anything from that.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Kylington does not need to be a top pairing defenseman. Until he is fully developed he will likely be a third pairing guy used on the PP. The raw skills the kid has are impressive and that skating ability can not be taught. That's how Scott Neidermayer started out.

The real challenge in developing Kylington will be to keep him engaged in improving his defensive side of the game. Karlsson is a great example as he was a huge defensive liability for the first couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad