Speculation: Flames one of final contenders for Grabovski

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Sign him for three years and trade him for a first in 2015 at the end of the 13/14 season

**** dawg, the Flames should just start trading for 2015 firsts right now.

I'm kinda serious, actually. If you've got guys you can move for first round picks who you'd be moving regardless, why not try to load up for the McDavid lottery, on the off-chance that the teams you're getting them from suck that year?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I'm kinda serious, actually. If you've got guys you can move for first round picks who you'd be moving regardless, why not try to load up for the McDavid lottery, on the off-chance that the teams you're getting them from suck that year?

Sigh... make me do this....

3vac40.jpg

EDIT: Technical difficulties. I apologize.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Why stop there? I believe if we trade Baertchi now, we in turn get to TANK for FRANK 18 years down the road!!

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Listen, I just read this article that a baby literally learned to skate before walking. I believe his name was Frank.

TANK for FRANK, the 2030 NHL draft!!!

** Brought to you by crazy people at HFBoards **

Slow down, buddy!

Lets wait a few years and see how he plays against other boys his age in Timbits hockey...

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I've held back from commenting because I simply do not know much of Grabo.

After reading tones of Leaf Fans comments plus other articles, seems like this guy is a full out energy, 110% effort guy who can benefit from proper linemates.

I am in favor of signing him to a term no more than 3 years. Dollars don really matter at that term. I think he would be a great leader in the ice as far as effort and contributing. In year 2-3 we could potentially move Backs to the wing. I dunno. Seems like something Feaster would attempt to do.

I hope he signs. As much as everyone feels we will be 30th team, I would like to see a competitive team. I think Grabo could help us.

Help us out of a top 5 pick that is :(

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
Just throwing stuff at the wall but, hasn't every player we've ever gotten from the leafs been an utter disappointment? Again, just saying..

Aug 3, 2010
Just throwing stuff at the wall but, hasn't every player we've ever gotten from the leafs been an utter disappointment? Again, just saying..
Stajan's fine, and Stempniak came from Phoenix but he's an ex-Leaf.
Ian White's a good defenceman but was misused.

Not a great track record but it's not the worst. It's not the Gilmour trade...

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

I actually didn't like White as a Flame. I found he didn't try that hard and made glaring dion-ish mistakes.

No wonder Dutter didn't consider him a $3Million DMan. He was a 2,999,995 DMan.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Aaron Ward confirmed that there are 3 teams Grabo is talking to. All we (think we) know is that its not Winnipeg.

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010

Right, but Stajan really only did anything last season, Stempniak came over from Phoenix, and Ian White pretty much ended Daymond Langkow's career, no?

Aug 3, 2010
Right, but Stajan really only did anything last season, Stempniak came over from Phoenix, and Ian White pretty much ended Daymond Langkow's career, no?
There are a thousand more mature ways of bringing up that subject but I'm not sure you are capable of it.

If you basically agreed with my statement and just wanted to add a jab at White, I'm pretty sure you're just trying to add fuel where there is no fire.

Nice try, though. :shakehead

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
There are a thousand more mature ways of bringing up that subject but I'm not sure you are capable of it.

If you basically agreed with my statement and just wanted to add a jab at White, I'm pretty sure you're just trying to add fuel where there is no fire.

Nice try, though. :shakehead

Actually, I didn't agree with a single thing you said. Read post again. Stempniak didn't Come over from Toronto, which is what I was talking about in the first place. Stajan had ONE decent half season, out of how many with the Flames? And White nailed Langkow in the spine. Is anything I said untrue? Not sure how that's being immature. Btw, Gilmour was not the only trade we ever lost to Toronto..:shakehead

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I really think if we sign Grabo, we'll be able to flip Stajan for future assets

If we sign Raymond, we can flip Stempniak for some future assets

If we trade Cammy too, we might be able to put ourselves in a very nice position in the next draft. Besides, we can roll with this for the season:

Glencross - Grabovski - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
Raymond - Knight - Galliardi

We'll definitely get a good draft position as well as be able shelter Backlund, Baertchi and Knight, as well as properly develop Monahan

Aug 3, 2010
Actually, I didn't agree with a single thing you said. Read post again. Stempniak didn't Come over from Toronto, which is what I was talking about in the first place. Stajan had ONE decent half season, out of how many with the Flames? And White nailed Langkow in the spine. Is anything I said untrue? Not sure how that's being immature. Btw, Gilmour was not the only trade we ever lost to Toronto..:shakehead
It's called being sensitive to the situation - you sound like you lack empathy and are tactless when you only want to bring up White/Langkow's accident as the only notable thing White ever did in a Flames sweater when we are simply talking about the contributions and performances of ex-Leafs players. It's distasteful.

Perhaps you should read your own post that I replied to originally, in which you asked whether Calgary has ever had players traded from Toronto do well here.

Stajan had a decent season. I mentioned it, you agreed.

In addition to that:
White's stint in Calgary was very short - however, he garnered 12 points in 27 games, good for a 35-40 point pace over a season.

The next season before his trade, he was good for a 30 point pace over a season with 6 points in 16 games.
In San Jose, he had gotten 10 points in 23 games, good again for a 35 point pace over a season.
Playing in Detroit, he finally had a chance to reach 32 points, as he played in 77 games.

It would have been better had those contributions occurred while he was still with the club. However, it's not to say he couldn't do it, he was just never given the chance.

We received decent players - it's not to say Calgary and Toronto have made good trades. Very few players have done well, but of the few that have, a few select fans have decided to blindly continue ******** on them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really think if we sign Grabo, we'll be able to flip Stajan for future assets

If we sign Raymond, we can flip Stempniak for some future assets

If we trade Cammy too, we might be able to put ourselves in a very nice position in the next draft. Besides, we can roll with this for the season:

Glencross - Grabovski - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
Raymond - Knight - Galliardi

We'll definitely get a good draft position as well as be able shelter Backlund, Baertchi and Knight, as well as properly develop Monahan

I'd consider both, I get the feeling management really likes Stempniak though. I think he goes at the deadline.

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
It's called being sensitive to the situation - you sound like you lack empathy and are tactless when you only want to bring up White/Langkow's accident as the only notable thing White ever did in a Flames sweater when we are simply talking about the contributions and performances of ex-Leafs players. It's distasteful.

Perhaps you should read your own post that I replied to originally, in which you asked whether Calgary has ever had players traded from Toronto do well here.

Stajan had a decent season. I mentioned it, you agreed.

In addition to that:
White's stint in Calgary was very short - however, he garnered 12 points in 27 games, good for a 35-40 point pace over a season.

The next season before his trade, he was good for a 30 point pace over a season with 6 points in 16 games.
In San Jose, he had gotten 10 points in 23 games, good again for a 35 point pace over a season.
Playing in Detroit, he finally had a chance to reach 32 points, as he played in 77 games.

It would have been better had those contributions occurred while he was still with the club. However, it's not to say he couldn't do it, he was just never given the chance.

We received decent players - it's not to say Calgary and Toronto have made good trades. Very few players have done well, but of the few that have, a few select fans have decided to blindly continue ******** on them.

Dude, are you freakin kidding? You must be because you're just being ridiculous now.The way you are addressing me is the only distasteful thing going on here.

To quote myself, "Just throwing stuff at the wall but, hasn't every player we've ever gotten from the leafs been an utter disappointment? Again, just saying..". My point was exact and if you disagree, fine, good for you.

I didn't agree about Stajan having a decent season. I said he had a decent HALF season last season. That doesn't translate into him being worth the money we re-signed him for.

Mentioning every stat that White has had since leaving Calgary does not equate to him doing anything of significance in Calgary.

It would appear that we are of different opinions in regards to ex-leafs contributions to the Flames. So be it. To call me distasteful and to say that I'm ******** on any one of them is ridiculous. Talk about fuel to a fire that isn't there..

DoubleJ96

Aug 23, 2006
Winnipeg
I'd take him on a short term deal, no more than 2 years max. As much as I want to see the team finish poorly for another season or two, so they can draft a few more high end prospects, I would still like to see a team that can be somewhat competitive so I'm not bored watching games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad