GDT: Flames @ Oilers, HNIC Late Game

May 27, 2012
Earth
You just don't dish out money for the sake of it. So we will be paying him Kessel money... If that was the case I would consider letting him walk and go after someone like Vanek And dish out 8 per year.
Cammy is the isn't the player he once was, I could see something like 5-6 million per year again. Nothing more.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd keep Cammy over Vanek, honestly. You know what we have with Cammy and he likes the system. Vanek is very streaky and primarily an offensive player. We need good 2-way guys.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I think his recent numbers in the last ten games and his overall numbers warrant his pay increase given that the cap and therefore general salary will increase. Just for clarification of my intent I would give him a big short term, no more then two year contract. Also I wanted him gone at the trade deadline.

JulianHopper*

You just don't dish out money for the sake of it. So we will be paying him Kessel money... If that was the case I would consider letting him walk and go after someone like Vanek And dish out 8 per year.
Cammy is the isn't the player he once was, I could see something like 5-6 million per year again. Nothing more.

We like him here though and I think Mike Cammalleri does too. He seems like a good guy in the room and I hope the Flames re-sign him and he stays here.

You need his scoring while giving the young guys time to develop and until they can score some more.

Mike Cammalleri is probably the best available free agent this year and he will be sought after quite hard I have to believe.

Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik are both older than him and are making $7.5M in their final year of their contracts.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It would be smart for Cammy to sign here. We would likely offer him more $ than anybody else. Also, Burke could just tell him that we will deal him if we are out of it next year at the deadline, providing he's playing at a high level still.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Pay increase for Cammy? No thanks. Maybe around what he is making now, but not a penny more.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Personally, I offer him a 2-yr deal @ 5.5-5.75, no more than that. We have Hudler as well and I don't believe we can keep both.

I agree. I wouldn't be upset if we didn't resign Cammy just because. With Knight, Agostino, Granlund and Reinhart knocking at the doors (to name a few), there's plenty of options in the top 9

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Do you guys remember if Eakin's took a time out or not last night? I don't recall one between those 4 goals in the 2nd

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Few if any teams are willing to add contracts with term on them at the deadline, especially for streaky scorers with a significant injury history. Giving Cammalleri a two year contract is essentially stating he'll be a Flame for at least the next year and a half, and that's still based on the assumption he doesn't stink up the joint again before the 2016 trade deadline. And while Burke has said the Flames can or will retain salary, that's something that needs to be seen before anyone can believe it.

Frankly, the ship has sailed. Cammalleri can't stay healthy. There was little to no interest in him at the beginning of the season according to Feaster and there was little serious interest at the deadline. He simply cannot be counted upon to either stay healthy or remain motivated enough to bring in a strong return at the deadline.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Few if any teams are willing to add contracts with term on them at the deadline, especially for streaky scorers with a significant injury history. Giving Cammalleri a two year contract is essentially stating he'll be a Flame for at least the next year and a half, and that's still based on the assumption he doesn't stink up the joint again before the 2016 trade deadline. And while Burke has said the Flames can or will retain salary, that's something that needs to be seen before anyone can believe it.

Frankly, the ship has sailed. Cammalleri can't stay healthy. There was little to no interest in him at the beginning of the season according to Feaster and there was little serious interest at the deadline. He simply cannot be counted upon to either stay healthy or remain motivated enough to bring in a strong return at the deadline.

For all the reasons mentioned above, I wouldn't have a problem signing him to a longer term contract. Let's stop thinking of him as an asset for trade, and start considering that he's proven to be able to help our kids play awesome hockey when he's on his game and not injured/recovering from injury. I have no issues with him as a leader on this team. He had a really bad stretch after coming back from injury prior to the deadline. But before that injury and since the deadline, he's been an extremely effective player.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Mike Cammalleri is probably the best available free agent this year and he will be sought after quite hard I have to believe.

He is not popular otherwise he would have been gone at the trade deadline.

His experience in Montreal went sour on a lot of people.

Cammalleri is a secondary player now.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
He is not popular otherwise he would have been gone at the trade deadline.

His experience in Montreal went sour on a lot of people.

I doubt Cammalleri not being acquired had anything to do with his experience in Montreal or popularity, but the price tag and the fact that he wasn't producing down the stretch leading to the trade deadline. As far as experiences in Montreal go - What do you think people will remmeber? Him speaking out against that team's awful play at the time, or him lightin' it up in their playoff run? The answer seems pretty obvious to me.

Last edited:

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I doubt Cammalleri not being acquired had anything to do with his experience in Montreal or popularity, but the price tag and the fact that he wasn't producing down the stretch leading to the trade deadline.
plus teams were cautious because Cammy had just returned from an injury (I think concussion maybe?) right before the deadline. Now that he's proven he's still a scorer, he'll be in demand for sure

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
For all the reasons mentioned above, I wouldn't have a problem signing him to a longer term contract. Let's stop thinking of him as an asset for trade, and start considering that he's proven to be able to help our kids play awesome hockey when he's on his game and not injured/recovering from injury. I have no issues with him as a leader on this team. He had a really bad stretch after coming back from injury prior to the deadline. But before that injury and since the deadline, he's been an extremely effective player.

So for roughly 20 to 30 games a season?

But I can understand Burke trying to sign him because he wants to keep him around in the lockerroom. Won't agree with it, but I can see why. Doesn't make sense to sign him and then try to trade him though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Let Cammy walk. The guy wants to win a Cup.

He hasn't really reached that stage of desperation yet, though, like Iginla. Cammy's got a few good years ahead of him. Similarly to Matt Stajan, he might look at the Flames right now and see a team that will be a contender in a few years.

fallsviewafro*

Let Cammy walk. The guy wants to win a Cup.

I think Cammy has a lot to do with the positive development of the younger guys and the team's attitude as a whole.

He's a fierce competitor who isn't afraid to call out lazy teammates. That's exactly the kind of influence I want on this team.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Funny thing is I posted on these pages at the start of the year that the Flames were ahead of the Oilers in the rebuild and got totally skewered. I guess I am vindicated.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I think Cammy has a lot to do with the positive development of the younger guys and the team's attitude as a whole.

He's a fierce competitor who isn't afraid to call out lazy teammates. That's exactly the kind of influence I want on this team.

Monahan was working out with him in the offseason in Ontario and he does have great work ethic that rubs off on other players. I wouldn't mind overpaying him for a couple years and trade some of the other vets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad