Speculation: Flames of the future

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I definitely think that's a huge thing that shields him from a lot of criticism. Nothing was made of that clip of him skating by the fracas while Johnny was getting roughed up after the whistle in the playoffs. Could you imagine if he was Russian or Swedish?

n08A8NO.jpg

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Gutless, would have been a word used likely.
Or the old Russian motto of being a 'me' player.

It's worth mentioning everyone in that series against the Avs sucked a bunch of dick outside of our 4th line (that won us a game). There's a lot of blame to go around for this team.

Our first line was rubbish. Lindholm and Monahan we absolute no-shows; Gaudreau was double or triple teamed and physically dominated.
Our second line got pumped by MacKinnon.
Our third line was garbage all year.

The first pairing was a tirefire with TJ.
The second pairing was hammered.
The third pairing was fine.

We were getting lead by the bottom of our team depth... you just can't win a series that way.

If we want to continue, the kids have to take the next step. Monahan has to actually become a top line centre worth his weight in name brand recognition. Lindholm has to give us 82 games. Andersson/Hanifin have to take the next steps. Mangi/Dube have to develop into the top 6F they certainly can become.

I was so surprised. I mean not that it makes any sense at all but prior to that series Backlund had historically owned Mackinnon

I suppose that course correction was a long time coming

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I was so surprised. I mean not that it makes any sense at all but prior to that series Backlund had historically owned Mackinnon

I suppose that course correction was a long time coming

IMO Peters having Backlund sit on his heals rather than driving play killed the second lines effectiveness. All season long Backs, Chucky and Fro pushed play but they came out in game one and sat back. Once MacKinnon, got momentum it was almost impossible to wrestle it back. Instead Peters doubled down on being more defensive. Backs, Chucky and Fro were not to blame for how things went.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The first pairing was a tirefire with TJ.
I agree with everything, but both Giordano and Brodie we're weak, with Brodie sucking for two games before being eh while covering MacKinnon and still contributing a goal or two. You are right everywhre else though, it was definitely a whole team effort to suck that shit down the train.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think there's too much attention on 1 playoff round and no enough on 82 games where we won the West by 6 points.
The problem with the team isn't that Johnny isn't good enough it's that he doesn't have enough help and the team still has room to grow, best thing to do is build on what we have by bringing in hungry players ready to steal spots.

I would love to trade anyone else to get a top end 1C, but who do we have that can land that?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Right now, the safe money is on Hanifin. Valimaki or Andersson could easily emerge. Kylington is the biggest wild card. Lowest probability to get there but the highest ceiling.
I think it's rare to see a rookie like Valimaki play as strong as he did. My bet would be he develops very well and is our hands down #1 D within a couple seasons. Hanifin is great, but I don't see much more development out of him. Andersson strikes me as someone who will dominate when he's 28 or older. Kylington is a complete wild card, could be the next Karlsson, could be the next Cam Barker

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think it's rare to see a rookie like Valimaki play as strong as he did. My bet would be he develops very well and is our hands down #1 D within a couple seasons. Hanifin is great, but I don't see much more development out of him. Andersson strikes me as someone who will dominate when he's 28 or older. Kylington is a complete wild card, could be the next Karlsson, could be the next Cam Barker

I agree with everything you said except with Hanifin. He’s the same age as Kylington and Andersson, he’s for sure going to keep improving. I think overall he’s the most well rounded, but it’s really up in the air as to whose all going to emerge. For my money, I’d bet on Valimaki as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangediddy

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I agree with everything you said except with Hanifin. He’s the same age as Kylington and Andersson, he’s for sure going to keep improving. I think overall he’s the most well rounded, but it’s really up in the air as to whose all going to emerge. For my money, I’d be on Valimaki as well.

In terms of basic statistics unfortunately we won’t really see someone takeover until Gio steps down from PP1

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
In terms of basic statistics unfortunately we won’t really see someone takeover until Gio steps down from PP1

Valimaki has the skill and potential to literally take the #1 slot away from Gio. IMO he is the only one that may be able to out-skill Gio at his current level out of all the promising d-men we have. I see skills similar to Hedman and Josi when I watch him play but with a little more offensive flare.

His skating and positioning is already at a very high level. It really is not fair for Hanafin and Kylington to have Vali in the same system.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Who do y’all think will ultimately be the best out of:

Hanifin
Valimaki
Andersson
Kylington

?

Depends how you view "best" and when you want to determine the best.

Overall:

Hanifin - Most reliable for overall situations in the top 4. Would be juggled in many situations in the top 4 (injury and otherwise).
Valimaki - Most well rounded dman of the 4 overall. May match or exceed Gio after a significant development.
Andersson - Most devastating if lost to injury. Doughty lite, no RHS RD in our system. Would also be juggled in many situations in the top 4.
Kylington - Highest offensive ceiling. Highest highs of all these guys, but also lowest lows.

If I'm talking 5 seasons...

Valimaki IMO is going to have the best size, style and grit package. But his development will be lengthier than the other guys. He might not be the best dman in 5 seasons, but may have the best career.

Kylington IMO is going to have the highest production out of all these guys for more than one season. However, I think his down seasons will be far lower than the other guys.

Hanifin IMO is going to be the most "vanilla" of these guys. He's going to get juggled around the most in the top 4 and be a stabilizing pillar for other dmen to allow them to play their game (vs the other way around)

Andersson IMO is going to be mirror Hanifin. He'd be like the malt to the vanilla in the ice cream swirl mix at the dome. However, since he's the only RHS RD, I think we'd feel him more than Hanifin if he went down to injury.

Overall career:
Valimaki
Kylington
Andersson
Hanifin

5 years
Andersson
Kylington
Hanifin/Valimaki

Of all time:
Kylington
Kylington
Kylington
Kylington

Seriously though, this is a stupid amount of riches in the system to have these 4 guys AND still have Gio/Brodie/Hamonic for however long to bring these guys along.

Reactions: ScrewNHLOfficiating

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
We have an OKG sighting. Nice to see you lurking and the name is in line with my thoughts on the NHL officiating in the playoffs. IMO ref the same game in game 1 as 83.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad