Flames 'New' Arena II - 'No it's yours, I insist'

Aug 3, 2010
You guys laugh but you're incredibly naive if you think the the owners won't cash out and sell the team if the only way a new arena gets built is if they build the depreciating asset themselves. Every year that the Flames are in the Saddledome without plans for a new home lowers the price the owners can sell the team for. I have zero doubt in what my source told me for that reason. Remember though, as of July he said that word in organization was that they were making progress.

And before you say it, no the NHL will not block an owner from cashing out because one of its smallest markets won't play ball on an arena, they'll make an example out of us. Moving a competitive team to Houston is hardly guaranteed to be a money losing venture either. Could easily be a success story in a massive american market.
Going back to your original post:
Lots of rumors
Your one source
that the Flames are preparing to sell to Houston's potential owner. For what its worth, In late July I spoke to someone who works directly for the Flames who said it looked like something was going to get done by the end of the year
Indicating that things are now on a better trajectory/previous reactionary mud-slinging has settled down.
but he was totally getting prepared to have to move to Houston before this round of talks.
Sure, but that was before the publicized Mexican standoff was over.

You're contradicting yourself (or your source) a bit now. I think you got too emotional after the others doubted your source and now you're offering your own "doomsday scenario" to convince others, except that your own source as posted by you was quoted as saying they believe progress is being made for the Flames to stay in Calgary. You know this, so why try invoking any sense of fear? It's not like the possibilities haven't been discussed to death since this whole debacle started.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Calgary moving forward with the Olympic bid with a 12-3 plebiscite points to an even higher likelihood that the Saddledome will be "refurbished" as a full-size arena is not currently in the projected plans.

Calgary council votes to hold city plebiscite on 2026 Olympic bid | CBC News

What remains is how the people of Calgary vote.
A "refurbished" arena is not the solution. The current arena has design problems.
If the plebiscite states that a refurbished arena will be used for the Olympics I would vote no on the proposal.
However, if the plebiscite states they plan to build a new Olympic arena, I would vote yes.

Calgary will eventually need a new arena. Better to build one now, for the Olympics, when the federal government and provincial government, the Flames, and the city will kick in $$ to cover the cost than to wait until later when it could possibly the city footing the whole bill.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
As far as I know the Feds would kick in 50%, matching what the City and/or Province contribute. So when it has a final price tag of $7 billion (yes, it will probably creep up that high if the economy takes off again) that's $3.5 billion from the federal government, with the assumption of $1.75 billion each from the provincial and municipal governments. With strings attached, I'm okay with that number. Those strings being nationalist requirements on where the staffing and materials come from, and cleanup of the creosote contamination in the West Village -- ultimately to be called "Olympic Village"

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
As far as I know the Feds would kick in 50%, matching what the City and/or Province contribute. So when it has a final price tag of $7 billion (yes, it will probably creep up that high if the economy takes off again) that's $3.5 billion from the federal government, with the assumption of $1.75 billion each from the provincial and municipal governments. With strings attached, I'm okay with that number. Those strings being nationalist requirements on where the staffing and materials come from, and cleanup of the creosote contamination in the West Village -- ultimately to be called "Olympic Village"
You want that $3.5bl in cash or with ownership of a Transmountain Pipeline?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You want that $3.5bl in cash or with ownership of a Transmountain Pipeline?
anigif_enhanced-29941-1427413465-2.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Could we refurbish our ski hills to have our half pipes decorated with real pipeline pipes?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Pipeline has negative value, feds would need to add
Well I'm not sure I would agree that it has negative value. It has value... its just an overpay and the term is too long because the pipeline is too old. Did Truedough agree to a NMC or NTC when he signed the contract?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Well I'm not sure I would agree that it has negative value. It has value... its just an overpay and the term is too long because the pipeline is too old. Did Truedough agree to a NMC or NTC when he signed the contract?
Even though it was meant to be a sign and trade, there is a No Movement in there. :doh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Does the new proposed arena have smoking area?:sarcasm:

In before smoking debate **** storm.

I believe that there will be a separate (obstructed view) section for smokers, and they will have to use the smokers' entrance, but no smoking will be permitted at the events.

People with at least one parent or grandparent who smokes will also be considered smokers for the purposes of this rule.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Nice look. Looks slick.
Calgary needs to be a leader in the NHL and world. Calgary is a world class city that derserves world class amenities.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I'll defer to your opinion, but short of a huge amount of time and money spent in materials and engineering, the load bearing for that much surface area with several feet of ice and snow on it would be nuts.
Yeah I mean I’m not an engineer so idk.

Won’t matter anyways cause the Flames will score so many times that the Flame burst after the goals will be essentially firing all night and heat up the roof.

Ok I’ll show myself out...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad