Rumor: Flames looking to add Sean Burke

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is more speculation than rumour I suppose but Fox Sports Arizona writer Craig Morgan is speculating that the Flame are one of the teams trying to bring Burke aboard. Treliving has obvious ties with Sean Burke as they worked together with the Coyotes. Burke has been involved with Hockey Canada the last couple years too, so he would also have ties to Brad Pascall.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/st...ghing-options-with-other-organizations-071515

Burke was reportedly in discussions with both the Toronto Maple Leafs and San Jose Sharks at one point, and there has also been speculation tying him to Calgary and former Coyotes assistant general manager Brad Treliving, who is now the Flames GM.

Burke said he has already turned down a pair of offers from teams that still wanted him to fill a dual role as an executive and an assistant coach, but he would not specify which team he is still considering.
Burke's contract with the Coyotes expired on June 30, and he chose not to return because he wanted a chance at a greater management role.
Burke's two-year role on Hockey Canada's management team has also expired. He said he will continue to work with Hockey Canada on specific projects, but the management team rotates every two years, so his role will not be nearly as time-consuming.
If he does not take the current offer, he will continue looking for work.

"I wouldn't take a year off," he said. "To me, there's no real need to, but at this stage of my career I don't think I would just want to do anything just to work."

About the bolded. I wonder what role we could have offered if this is true. I don't think he would be looking for him to be an assistant coach as we just promoted Sigalet to that role last summer and our goaltenders while not elite both performed quite well. So this leads me to believe we are the team he is still considering. Maybe he ends up being the replacement for Holditch?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Isn't Burke the guy who is credited with turning Dubnyk into what he is today? This could be huge for a guy like Ramo, and potentially even Ortio and Gillies down the road.

Aug 3, 2010
Burke's always been one of the League's better goaltender coaches IIRC, but it sounds like if he is hired he wouldn't be working on the ice with Sigalet but rather in an administrative capacity.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I had to do some research but it appears Burke has had a dual role in the desert for a little while now. In addition to being the Coyotes goaltending coach he has also been Assistant to the GM/Director of Player Development.

I do not think we currently have someone with the title of director of player development, although I do believe that would be Brad Pascall's area. I also know that Ron Sutter is a player development coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad