GDT: Flames @ Islanders (11 am / 6 pm / 8 pm)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
iWtwFTN.gif

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Today- meh, overall- meh

He is perfect to fill in for a team going nowhere, but it is easy to see why NJ a team that is competing for the play-off and beyond had no use for him. He doesn't have the offense to play in the top 6 for a good team and offers nothing in terms of defense or physical play for a bottom 6 role. But for a non-playoff team that needs warm bodies and guys to put up ok-ish stats, he works.
I think you are underselling Sharangovich a bit here. He would currently be 3rd in points on the New Jersey Devils

Hell, in 2021-22 he was 4th in points New jersey

Last year was his worst production wise, but so far it's an outlier for him, not the norm.

Also, here's how he'd rank in points if he were on the number 1 teams of each division.

Boston Bruins - 4th

NYR - 5th (tied with a defenseman)

Dallas Stars - 7th

Vancouver Canucks - 5th (1 defenseman ahead, tied with another)

Considering Sharangovich can play wing and center, on a good team he could probably find a spot on the 2nd line, and these are just the absolute best teams in each division. On my Panthers, he'd be 4th in points. I'd take him over Rodrigues who has been a staple on our Barkov - Reinhart line for the majority of the season (and has been a complementary player for top lines in the past)

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Today- meh, overall- meh

He is perfect to fill in for a team going nowhere, but it is easy to see why NJ a team that is competing for the play-off and beyond had no use for him. He doesn't have the offense to play in the top 6 for a good team and offers nothing in terms of defense or physical play for a bottom 6 role. But for a non-playoff team that needs warm bodies and guys to put up ok-ish stats, he works.
Why do you support Flames? You are too smart to know it doesn't make sense and you are just wasting your time. I suggest you move on and stop occupying your perfect mind with this misery.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Why do you support Flames? You are too smart to know it doesn't make sense and you are just wasting your time. I suggest you move on and stop occupying your perfect mind with this misery.

In your view the only way someone can be a fan of the team is to be a blind homer? Overrate every player? Pretend that everything is super awesome?

I want what is best for the Flames, I want to see them building a team that is capable of competing for the Cup. Players like Sharangovich doesn't help us do that so I will be honest about what he is.

It isn't misery either. I know what the club is, I know what the goals of the team are, so I don't expect them to make moves to try and win but instead try to get to 8th and the revenue from the home play-off games it brings.

You likely have much more misery than I do because you fool yourself into thinking that the team is competing so get upset when they lose. I realize the games are meaningless because win or lose the team will remain fighting for mediocrity as long as they can.

I think you are underselling Sharangovich a bit here. He would currently be 3rd in points on the New Jersey Devils

Hell, in 2021-22 he was 4th in points New jersey

Last year was his worst production wise, but so far it's an outlier for him, not the norm.

Also, here's how he'd rank in points if he were on the number 1 teams of each division.

Boston Bruins - 4th

NYR - 5th (tied with a defenseman)

Dallas Stars - 7th

Vancouver Canucks - 5th (1 defenseman ahead, tied with another)

Considering Sharangovich can play wing and center, on a good team he could probably find a spot on the 2nd line, and these are just the absolute best teams in each division. On my Panthers, he'd be 4th in points. I'd take him over Rodrigues who has been a staple on our Barkov - Reinhart line for the majority of the season (and has been a complementary player for top lines in the past)

You are looking at the points he is putting up on a bad Flames team that need to put up points. Every team has guys who score. He showed what he could do on a play-off team last year with the Devils when his numbers weren't impressive and he was a healthy scratch because he couldn't help them.

He has not been good at all at center. If he can "play" center than anyone can.

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
In your view the only way someone can be a fan of the team is to be a blind homer? Overrate every player? Pretend that everything is super awesome?

I want what is best for the Flames, I want to see them building a team that is capable of competing for the Cup. Players like Sharangovich doesn't help us do that so I will be honest about what he is.

It isn't misery either. I know what the club is, I know what the goals of the team are, so I don't expect them to make moves to try and win but instead try to get to 8th and the revenue from the home play-off games it brings.

You likely have much more misery than I do because you fool yourself into thinking that the team is competing so get upset when they lose. I realize the games are meaningless because win or lose the team will remain fighting for mediocrity as long as they can.

You are looking at the points he is putting up on a bad Flames team that need to put up points. Every team has guys who score. He showed what he could do on a play-off team last year with the Devils when his numbers weren't impressive and he was a healthy scratch because he couldn't help them.

Yegor is a really good player for this team.
If you want something else, then you need to hit rock bottom, at some point...
I don't understand how you can live with such a burden.

Reactions: joescores

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Yegor is a really good player for this team.
If you want something else, then you need to hit rock bottom, at some point...
I don't understand how you can live with such a burden.

I have no problem with Sharangovich being on this team right now. We are competing for nothing and need warm bodies to fill roles. He is fine at that.

However, he clearly is not part of the solution going forward. He is not a quality piece that would contribute to a good team that does want to compete. He is a warm body filling a role until we can make the moves needed to bring in better players to replace him and then start competing as every fan should (but for some reason doesn't) want us to do.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I have no problem with Sharangovich being on this team right now. We are competing for nothing and need warm bodies to fill roles. He is fine at that.

However, he clearly is not part of the solution going forward. He is not a quality piece that would contribute to a good team that does want to compete. He is a warm body filling a role until we can make the moves needed to bring in better players to replace him and then start competing as every fan should (but for some reason doesn't) want us to do.
This is pretty unnecessary. He’d be an improvement to the middle 6 of a lot of competing teams this year. He’s definitely not a permanent solution at 1C moving forward but he’s a good NHL player with a good cap hit that I’m sure a lot of teams wouldn’t mind having

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Today- meh, overall- meh

Somebody must have 20 in 50 games because- oh look- here comes Negative Nancy to tell everyone that’s actually not good. Not a coincidence that the Flames have won 4 in a row and Nancy shows up to bring us all down a notch or two

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
This is pretty unnecessary. He’d be an improvement to the middle 6 of a lot of competing teams this year. He’s definitely not a permanent solution at 1C moving forward but he’s a good NHL player with a good cap hit that I’m sure a lot of teams wouldn’t mind having
This. I don't see anyone here saying 'Govich is a replacement first liner (centre or otherwise) but he certainly has 'potential' to be a piece in the future lineup top 9. Any time you give up the better player in a trade, there is certainly risk that you won't see the players in return living up to perceived upside.

This doesn't change the fact that 7x - Govich like players won't replace a true #1 centre and that is still going to be the need going forward and to do that you are going to need to draft top 3 imo.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

Somebody asked a question and I answered it and then responded to a reply what is unnecessary about that?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why do people engage with this poster? They've never said anything positive about the team and constantly shit on the players, especially the Eastern European players. Just block them and maybe they'll go away

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

Your also looking at his absolute worst season to make your judgement about Sharangovich, a season where he sported a SPCT of 9% (the lowest of his career) when his average is 14% while ignoring the 3 other seasons he's paced for 45-55 points. Which again, would be a good enough 2nd liner for most teams in the league.

I also don't get your logic of "he's putting up points because he's on a bad team" it's true that he's getting 1st line minutes and 1st unit PP time he otherwise wouldn't get on a team with more talented offensive players. But on a better team he'd be down the lineup facing weaker competition while playing with 2nd liners that would be 1st liners on teams with weaker forward rosters (like Calgary). So it's not as simple as he's only putting up points because he's on a "bad" team.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Your also looking at his absolute worst season to make your judgement about Sharangovich, a season where he sported a SPCT of 9% (the lowest of his career) when his average is 14% while ignoring the 3 other seasons he's paced for 45-55 points. Which again, would be a good enough 2nd liner for most teams in the league.

I also don't get your logic of "he's putting up points because he's on a bad team" it's true that he's getting 1st line minutes and 1st unit PP time he otherwise wouldn't get on a team with more talented offensive players. But on a better team he'd be down the lineup facing weaker competition while playing with 2nd liners that would be 1st liners on teams with weaker forward rosters (like Calgary). So it's not as simple as he's only putting up points because he's on a "bad" team.

We see it all the time with non-play-off teams guys put up points because no matter how bad teams are they will still score points. Often those guys go to better teams and do not produce at a high rate even though they are "playing with better players" or "playing against weaker opposition."

Sharangovich has shown what he is over a long enough period and that is a meh player. Fans want to get over hyped about him because they are so desperate to avoid the needed rebuild, want to delude themselves into thinking things are better than they are. Sharangovich has shown he isn't close to good enough to be a key player on a team competing for things. Instead of overrating him fans should want to get the kind of players that improve us but that is not the Flames way. Mediocrity is always held up as the gold standard instead.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
We see it all the time with non-play-off teams guys put up points because no matter how bad teams are they will still score points. Often those guys go to better teams and do not produce at a high rate even though they are "playing with better players" or "playing against weaker opposition."

Sharangovich has shown what he is over a long enough period and that is a meh player. Fans want to get over hyped about him because they are so desperate to avoid the needed rebuild, want to delude themselves into thinking things are better than they are. Sharangovich has shown he isn't close to good enough to be a key player on a team competing for things. Instead of overrating him fans should want to get the kind of players that improve us but that is not the Flames way. Mediocrity is always held up as the gold standard instead.

Over a long period? It’s his 4th year in the league lol. He had 30 points in 54 games as a rookie, 24 goals in his second year. If anything last year was a down year for him

No one is saying he’s an all star but he’s a very capable NHLer who would 100% be a welcome addition to the middle 6 of a lot of good teams

He’s obviously playing higher in the roster than he should here but that’s fine, the team is retooling

Reactions: IharRB

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Over a long period? It’s his 4th year in the league lol. He had 30 points in 54 games as a rookie, 24 goals in his second year. If anything last year was a down year for him

No one is saying he’s an all star but he’s a very capable NHLer who would 100% be a welcome addition to the middle 6 of a lot of good teams

He’s obviously playing higher in the roster than he should here but that’s fine, the team is retooling

Yes over a long period, he is 25 we know what he is as a player. He isn’t still developing with room to grow, he isn’t a young prospect that needs more time.

As for the last line that is exactly what I said he fine for where the team is at.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Can confirm. I remember when it happened with JT Miller. He went to Tampa and they played him down the lineup and his production fell. I think that stint in Tampa is probably the best and fairest stretch to judge him on as a player.

• Haha
Reactions: joescores

TBS

May 10, 2021
No he isn't) As a center he plays much worse as a winger. And I saw jast one "middle 6" center with whom he was really good - Travis Zajac. Only one of many! All other lines with him looked like 4+0.5. It was awful (big problems in transition and offensive puck control). And even with Zajac I had a question - Did only Zajac was a key factor of his "middle 6 success", or COVID boost (he started to get practise in KHL much earlier then most of NHL players started to get their after a long pause) was his little cheat too?)
So or you need to find a new Zajac for "middle 6" plan (and hope that only it will be enough) - little chance, or you need to use him as a top 6 player (with smb like Hughes, Hischier, or Lindholm) but it mean that your team won't be a contender...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad