GDT: Flames in Chicago: November 15 at 6:30 MT on SN1

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Ferland was pretty good the first three games of the road trip. Created lots of chances and used his speed well, I thought.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Ferland hasn't been terrible. I guess I just want to see people get destroyed by him and make the other team think twice about holding onto the puck.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Warrener was 100% bang on this morning re: this team - not enough desperation and urgency right now.

I heard that too, Wills shut up because he called him out and totally disagreed with him. :laugh:

I agree though, guys are trying but no one is prepared to go through the wall this year and it's because Gio (their leader) isn't doing it. Guys feed off him and he needs to set the tone.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hudler needs to sit. Just lazy these days. You take out two minutes in this game and Calgary wins. It's crazy. When Chicago was on, there was no stopping them though. All kinds of skill and determination, Calgary couldn't keep up. I'm really not sure where Calgary goes from here. The defence is signed long term, and those who aren't shouldn't probably stay with the team... The forward group is pretty 'meh' outside of 5 players (13,23,67,93,19)... That's a whole lot of changes that need to happen.

Have to keep this all in perspective though. Chicago was horrible for a decade. Calgary went through two down seasons only before a turn around... There was bound to be more growing pains. It took a first overall, a third overall, signing one of the best players to ever hit FA and a bunch of player development to get Chicago to a dynasty. It'll take some more effort from Calgary.

Basically this. Yes the Flames looked completely outclassed but they're playing the defending Stanley Cup champions at home who currently have Patrick Kane playing out of his mind. This is a young rebuilding team without any real proven talent in the Top 6(outside of Hudler who should absolutely sit for a game or two), anybody who thought different going into this season were a little bit ahead of themselves IMO.

The frustrating thing is that as a fan is I know this team can play better, but for whatever reason, and there could be several, they can't seem to put it together right now. It's not that the Flames need Gio to be fantastic or Ramo/Hiller to stand on their head to win games, or even Monahan to take a huge leap to be a premier centre at 21(not going to happen btw), it's that they need a solid consistent effort from the entire group to win the tough games. Get this team back to basics like last year and hopefully the veterans can lead the way by hmm I dunno.. working hard for a 6 figure paycheck? If not I hope Treliving starts shipping a couple out because that kind of attitude is not going to help a young team in the future.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic, but if anyone looked at this roster at the start of the year and thought playoff contender, I don't know what to tell ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad