Dreger: Flames eying experienced RHD (most likely via trade)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Why do so many people think Sam Bennett is good?

Because, people watch him?
He's always shown to play at a high level, he's shown to be the best player on the team for stretches... his issue has been consistency. The reason people want to trade for him, is that they hope he can find that level consistently; and why the Flames don't want to move on from him...

If he found some consistency in the NHL, with regular linemates that weren't AHL level, down the middle... I wouldn't be surprised if you got a two-way 50 point centre that is also physical as all hell, and can also pound the shit out of people if it comes to that.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
oil could say the same dawg. The Oilers were a complete disaster in December. Just terrible. All of them. They still had a better GA average than a lot of Canadian teams with a garbage bottom six, yet the narrative we keep hearing over and over (Especially from CGY fans) is how crap we are defensively (we still need to improve).

So are the Oilers D actually good and the goalie garbage? Goalies good and the D garbage? Forwards suck at D. It's always a different story. If these are all true, why do they have better #'s than half of the league? lol
Uhh, I'd say the Oilers D is better than thought with Bear showing up big time, and Koskinen is able to handle a solid load of games, it's what's behind them that's concerning. Smith is old and inconsistent which is bad when Koskinen hasn't shown the ability to be a consistent starter imo. Oilers defence was *going* to play with added depth behind Klefbom but now he's out. If it is the current outlook, then that is where flaws come into play. Klefbom is the closest thing to a #1 d-man on both sides of the puck and relying on Bear and Barrie as the top 2 guys is a rough sell imo. If it's about the past, then the defence straight up looked bad.

I also think it's important to acknowledge that the Flames defence coming into the season was overrated compared to what we got, with Giordano's decline and Valimaki out. Then, when Giordano, and Hamonic got injured it necessitated players playing well above their head which shockingly results in a weaker d-core. But that doesn't take away from the real reason the Oilers D has always been considered garbage: It's a bunch of players playing 1 spot above where they should be in a lineup. The Flames D not playing up to snuff impacts none of that. It has nothing to do with the way the Oilers are conceived and feels like a contrived way to be like "gotcha Flames fans, how Oilers bad if Flames bad too?"

Reactions: Snipes45

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Why do so many people think Sam Bennett is good?

It is almost like a cult following. The fans love him it seems. Even with the lack of point totals and minimal ice time. I guess 18 pts in 30 playoff games gives hope for a top 6 fwd someday?? Maybe its like how Tanev provides 30 pts but stellar play away from the puck?

Reactions: JackFr

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Uhh, I'd say the Oilers D is better than thought with Bear showing up big time, and Koskinen is able to handle a solid load of games, it's what's behind them that's concerning. Smith is old and inconsistent which is bad when Koskinen hasn't shown the ability to be a consistent starter imo. Oilers defence was *going* to play with added depth behind Klefbom but now he's out. If it is the current outlook, then that is where flaws come into play. Klefbom is the closest thing to a #1 d-man on both sides of the puck and relying on Bear and Barrie as the top 2 guys is a rough sell imo. If it's about the past, then the defence straight up looked bad.

I also think it's important to acknowledge that the Flames defence coming into the season was overrated compared to what we got, with Giordano's decline and Valimaki out. Then, when Giordano, and Hamonic got injured it necessitated players playing well above their head which shockingly results in a weaker d-core. But that doesn't take away from the real reason the Oilers D has always been considered garbage: It's a bunch of players playing 1 spot above where they should be in a lineup. The Flames D not playing up to snuff impacts none of that. It has nothing to do with the way the Oilers are conceived and feels like a contrived way to be like "gotcha Flames fans, how Oilers bad if Flames bad too?"
Good reply. I think they will be a better 5 on 5 team (Maybe not by a ton), which will help.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
It is almost like a cult following. The fans love him it seems. Even with the lack of point totals and minimal ice time. I guess 18 pts in 30 playoff games gives hope for a top 6 fwd someday?? Maybe its like how Tanev provides 30 pts but stellar play away from the puck?
Sam actually looked really good in the playoffs. He is one of those guys who can "step it up" at that time of the year. He just seems ordinary otherwise.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Beaten to the punch by other Caps fans, but Nick Jensen would be a good target.

He’s the odd man out on the Caps blue line after bringing in Schultz and TVR, but he’s perfectly capable as a 3rd pairing D.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Firstly it's 19 points.

He's also had 13 points in his last 15 games. So there's a trend up. He's been one of the best skaters (maybe the best) in the last two playoffs. The Flames aren't trading the only player on their team stepping it up during the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad